Can we please talk about football?

Mid Iowa

3 hours ago, Dome said:

edit: I will add that brees having black friends and employing minorities at his restaurants doesn’t mean he’s immune to showing his ignorance. Donald Sterling had black employees too. I’m not comparing the two, I’m just pointing out that logic can be flawed. 

Wholeheartedly agree.

7 hours ago, Dome said:

Drew Brees is handling his misstep with grace. Hopefully the team and community looks at this as an opportunity to embrace and educate rather than push him out.

Good message and I see MT has accepted his apology. Kamara also said he spoke to Brees 1v1 so hopefully he's doing that to everyone.

Also dat stock image.

• Like 2

Is now the time to sign Kap?? Seriously though, dude is probably unfit and past his prime in regards to competing.

I was looking at the Saints roster (unofficial) and holy hello batman! We be stacked! Hopefully, it doesn't take long for this team to gel and win some rings!

• Like 1

On 6/4/2020 at 8:28 AM, Mid Iowa said:

A sad part to me is that Brees has remained consistent in his message since 2016, and now the feeling towards his words are suddenly different? Or is it now that people are paying attention to his words? Or is it that the straw finally broke the camel's back, and the timing of his statement sucks? Or maybe all of this...

Hilariously bad timing lol.  This was like the game losing pick 6 vs the tipped ball pick when up by 30.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Malcolm Jenkins is the gift that keeps on giving. It certainly seems like he is more interested in being a commentator and activist than a football player...which is fine. But I wish we wouldn't have given him the contract. I was on the fence in the first place...he's going to have to be an all-pro to be worth it at this point. We would have very likely been better off with a younger Vonn Bell at a lower salary.

• 2 months later...
18 hours ago, Raves said:

Is there even actually going to be one?  I'm still waiting for it to get canceled.  Just seems to fit the 2020 timeline

The COVID rates are reducing nationally. Assuming there is some resurgence, I'd be surprised if they don't play. There will be some COVID cases along the way, but unless something changes, they shouldn't be anything that compromise the season. We'll see with the protests. I suspect that games will be played, but there's going to be a significant drop in fan interest. The 25-40% drop in NBA viewership and very notable participation in fantasy football are pretty telling.

16 minutes ago, sammymvpknight said:

The COVID rates are reducing nationally. Assuming there is some resurgence, I'd be surprised if they don't play. There will be some COVID cases along the way, but unless something changes, they shouldn't be anything that compromise the season. We'll see with the protests. I suspect that games will be played, but there's going to be a significant drop in fan interest. The 25-40% drop in NBA viewership and very notable participation in fantasy football are pretty telling.

Everything I've seen has rates going up recently.  Drop in fan interest might be due to other reasons.  I think the NBA viewership is down more due to the long layoff that really ruined the momentum of the season among other reasons that I'm not going to get into as it might devolve into conversations not allowed on the forum.  I think Football will have plenty of viewership though.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Raves said:

Everything I've seen has rates going up recently.  Drop in fan interest might be due to other reasons.  I think the NBA viewership is down more due to the long layoff that really ruined the momentum of the season among other reasons that I'm not going to get into as it might devolve into conversations not allowed on the forum.  I think Football will have plenty of viewership though.

I think that burnout is the biggest reason. People have become tired of the uncertainty...

On 8/27/2020 at 12:23 PM, sammymvpknight said:

So...anyone actually interested in the season this year?

I'm finally starting to think about football. Now that spring break is finally ending, and we're feeling a cool breeze here in Central Iowa (after a few weeks of upper 90's) so that means we should be strapping on the gear, and popping some pads.

In Iowa we just had our first "Football Friday" of highschool teams playing, so it's happening.
...unless you're part of the B1G 10, then it's not happening. I've watched Hawkeye football since I was 4 (my Mother is alumni) and I can't believe I'm missing Hawkeye football this year because it was cancelled. I think I'd rather miss it because I'm deployed, or chained to a wall in Wild Bill's cellar........