Nick's All-NFL Rebuild Draft - Discussion Thread

Nick

With a little help from @EaglesPeteC I've decided to bring back my All-NFL Rebuild draft. Was pretty popular in the old forum so why not give it a go here again (we are actually the first ever topic in the new forum in this section)! I think we could all use something like this with all that's going on.

I'm open to adding more fun and creative rules, see feel free to suggest some to make this more interesting! I'm thinking of doing 2 rounds (separate draft) before or after the NFL draft where we select the rights to 2021 draft eligible college players. Too outrageous? Maybe. Let me know! 

General Rules:

1) The draft order will be randomized, and it will be a snake draft (1st pick in 1st round picks last in 2nd round).

2) We are drafting a full 53-man roster! So draft accordingly. Later rounds will have 2 players selected per draft slot to speed up the draft (exact round TBD). May even bump this up to 3 players per draft slot if need be.

3) You can run either a 3-4 or 4-3 defense base. You can draft 4-3 players and convert them if you'd like. Rather run some form of a nickel defense primarily? Go for it. It's your team. 

4) You cannot move offensive linemen from tackle to guard or from guard to tackle unless they have recent experience in the past 2 seasons playing there (dating back to 2018). This is to help people from hoarding all of one position (frequently left tackles) just to convert them to other spots. Moving a player from the left to the right side and vice versa is allowed.

5) Every team must start at least 1 player from the team you're representing. For example, I'm a Bills fan, so I must draft and start a Bill. (The player selected cannot count as your rookie or your 2nd year starter. See next two rules.) This does not mean you must name your team the Buffalo Bills/Your Favorite Team. You can make up a new team and locate them wherever you want. 

6) Every team must start at least 1 second year player. You cannot use a "favorite team" player as BOTH your 2nd year player AND "favorite team" player.
(For example, if a Bills fan were to draft Ed Oliver he could count as either their 2nd year player or Bills player, but NOT both)

7) Every team must start at least 1 rookie. You cannot use a "favorite team" player as BOTH your rookie AND "favorite team" player.
(For example, if a Redskins fan were to draft Chase Young, he could count as either their rookie or Redskins player, but NOT both)

8) You can draft a rookie to be your returner, punter or kicker. He cannot count as your "rookie starter".

9) Special teamers are not considered starters. So favorite team players, rookies, and 2nd year players will not count towards your requirement at those positions.

10) We will be drafting coaches, a HC, OC and DC.

Rules associated with having coaches are:

1) You can't bring retired coaches back into the league (ex. Bill Cowher).

2) College coaches can be taken.

3) Multiple current head coaches can be drafted and moved to either OC or DC positions (ex. Sean Payton can be either your HC or OC).

11) All suspensions and injuries are reset. Consider the players history with injuries and suspensions, however.

How to go about building your team:

You're building a franchise from the ground up.

Think of it as being judged for about a 7 year period of performance. Here's a basic way to think about it, which can be applied to any position you're drafting:

- Taking a player like Aaron Rodgers might get you 2-4 years of guaranteed success max but you'll have to replace him soon and hope that player can succeed after him (i.e. taking Rodgers, but also trying to grab a Jordan Love type player later in the draft).

- Taking someone like Tua Tagovailoa MAY get you 6-10 years of success BUT, that's if he pans out, so he's a risk. 

- Patrick Mahomes, while up for debate for some people, could get you a full 7-10 years of success given his age.

It's all how you choose to value players and their success going into the future. You're building a franchise, so you're putting together the team you want and see being successful. Part of the fun in this is seeing how people choose to build their team. Most tend to go with sustained success & drafting younger first. Some will chose to go into a win-now mode, and then rebuild after a possible Super Bowl win or two early.

How a winner will be decided:

Undecided on this. Open to input from everyone. I like how our Build-A-City format is. Depending on the number of teams we separate into random divisions of X number of teams, we vote for a division winner and then proceed to a bracket format. We have time to determine the best route. 

Participants

@NickChowaniec

@EaglesPeteC

@bcb1213

@jcrell623

@grizmo78

@festiveonion

@CHOMP_CHOMP

@Deadpulse

@TedLavie

@Blue

@Ragnarok

@Tyronnosaurus

Edited by NickChowaniec
  • Like 1

You already know i'm in :) Excited to do this again. I really felt like I got a much better idea of players on other teams through this. Thanks for setting it up and organizing!

In terms of rec's:

- I know this came up last time, but I still don't like the idea of starting a player from your favorite team. I still think it creates a disadvantage to teams with lesser talents or participants who coincide with another's favorite team (ie. two participants with the same fav team). One thing that might be a compromise might be eliminating the rule where the favorite player can't be a rookie or 2nd year player? 

- Another draft around next draft season would be fun! 

1 hour ago, grizmo78 said:

You already know i'm in :) Excited to do this again. I really felt like I got a much better idea of players on other teams through this. Thanks for setting it up and organizing!

In terms of rec's:

- I know this came up last time, but I still don't like the idea of starting a player from your favorite team. I still think it creates a disadvantage to teams with lesser talents or participants who coincide with another's favorite team (ie. two participants with the same fav team). One thing that might be a compromise might be eliminating the rule where the favorite player can't be a rookie or 2nd year player? 

- Another draft around next draft season would be fun! 

I'd like to keep the fav. team rule. I think every team has a few high level talents to target as starters. It adds an element to draft strategy that I've always enjoyed. If enough people dislike it I'm open to changing it to a version of what you suggested. 

Since we are 'Footballs Future' I'm leaning towards doing the short college draft, likely before the NFL one.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, NickChowaniec said:

We have 8.. would ideally like to get 12. Spread to word fellas!! I feel like not enough people even view this forum but would love to be apart of something like this. 

Posted in team subs, only in the ones that I saw had a "Random topics" type thread as I didn't want to spam extra topics in those places. Hopefully that reaches more interested people!