Nick's All-NFL Rebuild Draft - Discussion Thread

Nick

Ok, I got a question for everyone about who I want to take next. I want to take Jonah Williams (OT) but want to make sure I can put him at Guard. My argument is he came out of college last year, didn't play due to injury, but during the draft it was discussed whether he would be a better tackle or guard (ie. within the past two years). Thoughts? 

1 minute ago, grizmo78 said:

Ok, I got a question for everyone about who I want to take next. I want to take Jonah Williams (OT) but want to make sure I can put him at Guard. My argument is he came out of college last year, didn't play due to injury, but during the draft it was discussed whether he would be a better tackle or guard (ie. within the past two years). Thoughts? 

When was the last time in college he took snaps at OG?

4 minutes ago, Ragnarok said:

Thats a fair question, Williams only played RT and LT in college, but Brandon Scherff only played Guard his freshman year in college then tackle the next two before spending his entire nfl career at guard... There was plenty of debate on if Williams should be at guard instead of tackle coming out too. 

4 minutes ago, Ragnarok said:

My quick research is showing he started at both tackles positions exclusively at Bama. Never started at guard. 

The argument is fair because he hasn't played a snap in the NFL and the draft commentary surrounding him was that he was a better fit at guard.

I'm fine with him playing guard (despite him slotted to start at LT for the Bengals) but I wasn't sure if that would upset the group. Wanted to get some different opinions.

Somewhat of a unique situation.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, grizmo78 said:

Thats a fair question, Williams only played RT and LT in college, but Brandon Scherff only played Guard his freshman year in college then tackle the next two before spending his entire nfl career at guard... There was plenty of debate on if Williams should be at guard instead of tackle coming out too. 

Just now, NickChowaniec said:

My quick research is showing he started at both tackles positions exclusively at Bama. Never started at guard. 

The argument is fair because he hasn't played a snap in the NFL and the draft commentary surrounding him was that he was a better fit at guard.

I'm fine with him playing guard (despite him slotted to start at LT for the Bengals) but I wasn't sure if that would upset the group. Wanted to get some different opinions.

Somewhat of a unique situation.

My initial thought is no.  The rules said they need to have played one of those positions within the last couple years and there's no evidence of that.  So it's not a Branden Albert situation which would make it work.

There was speculation by pundits he could be a better fit at OG, but the Bengals very clearly stated they wanted him at LT.  If they had come out and said he was playing OG, then you might have a point.

Because you don't have the past playing experience or current team expectation, I think it gets a bit too far outside the rules.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Ragnarok said:

My initial thought is no.  The rules said they need to have played one of those positions within the last couple years and there's no evidence of that.  So it's not a Branden Albert situation which would make it work.

There was speculation by pundits he could be a better fit at OG, but the Bengals very clearly stated they wanted him at LT.  If they had come out and said he was playing OG, then you might have a point.

Because you don't have the past playing experience or current team expectation, I think it gets a bit too far outside the rules.

I guess my question would be, What would your thoughts be if someone drafted Tristan Wirfs and wanted to put him at guard? Would you argue the same? Lots of argument during the draft that he could be better at guard but the Bucs clearly drafted him for tackle and he has only ever played tackle. 

12 minutes ago, grizmo78 said:

It’s your team do whatever you want. 
The Packers FO is famous for taking college tackles and playing them at guard. If you wanted to do this with Trent Brown I’d call you a dunce but Williams is young enough to offer positional flexibility 

1 minute ago, grizmo78 said:

I guess my question would be, What would your thoughts be if someone drafted Tristan Wirfs and wanted to put him at guard? Would you argue the same? Lots of argument during the draft that he could be better at guard but the Bucs clearly drafted him for tackle and he has only ever played tackle. 

My thought on Wirfs would be the same.  The Bucs are very clearly playing him at RT and he never played OG in college.  The only reason he will get moved to the inside is if he doesn't work out at tackle.

And I don't we can assume a Robert Gallery situation where he busts at OT and ends up good at OG.

If I get overruled/outvoted then I'll be fine with it.  I just think it makes an assumption beyond what we can make.

• Like 1

Just now, Ragnarok said:

My thought on Wirfs would be the same.  The Bucs are very clearly playing him at RT and he never played OG in college.  The only reason he will get moved to the inside is if he doesn't work out at tackle.

And I don't we can assume a Robert Gallery situation where he busts at OT and ends up good at OG.

If I get overruled/outvoted then I'll be fine with it.  I just think it makes an assumption beyond what we can make.

I appreciate the thoughts! It's why I opened it up for discussion in the first place. Obviously I want the answer to be yes but again, i'll accept whatever decision is made. So lets wait for a couple more inputs? Nick, let me know when to make my pick either way. I don't want to get everything held up over this. 

So far: Nick and Festive are a yay. Ragnarok is a nay. 

7 minutes ago, Ragnarok said:

Ope. Forgot about the rule set. According to what was agreed upon then, no. 

But situations like these with first year players are more grey I feel. Personally, I’d be ok with it as long as it’s not something asinine like drafting Burrow to play Corner or Chase Young to play WR.