Nick's All-NFL Rebuild Draft - Discussion Thread

Nick

36 minutes ago, grizmo78 said:

@bcb1213  Thoughts on playing Jonah Williams at guard? 

I'm fine with it because of the draft commentary. I would also be fine with Wirfs because he is almost in the exact same scenario.

The rule was originally put in so someone didn't stupidly take/hoard the majority of the top proven left tackles (Stanley, T. Smith, etc.) and move them to guard. That would just never happen realistically at this point in their careers. It would also take away LT's for others to draft. 

In a situation like this one, it's actually realistic given the state of their (Jonah, Wirfs, etc.) careers being unproven that they end up at guard at some point. 

I'm with @EaglesPeteC in that I really just don't care but I don't want to harm the experience for someone else who might care more than I do.

Edited by NickChowaniec

Sound like there is more indifference than anything from most so I'm going to go for it and try not to hold up this thing any longer. It doesn't sound like anyone is upset because they would have taken him earlier if they knew he could be played at guard either. Hopefully thats ok with everyone.

2 hours ago, NickChowaniec said:

My quick research is showing he started at both tackles positions exclusively at Bama. Never started at guard. 

The argument is fair because he hasn't played a snap in the NFL and the draft commentary surrounding him was that he was a better fit at guard.

I'm fine with him playing guard (despite him slotted to start at LT for the Bengals) but I wasn't sure if that would upset the group. Wanted to get some different opinions.

Somewhat of a unique situation.

1 hour ago, Ragnarok said:

My initial thought is no.  The rules said they need to have played one of those positions within the last couple years and there's no evidence of that.  So it's not a Branden Albert situation which would make it work.

There was speculation by pundits he could be a better fit at OG, but the Bengals very clearly stated they wanted him at LT.  If they had come out and said he was playing OG, then you might have a point.

Because you don't have the past playing experience or current team expectation, I think it gets a bit too far outside the rules.

I'm with Ragnarok, that's clearly violating the rules. Just because people thought he could play guard doesn't change the fact that he hasn't.

6 minutes ago, Blue said:

I'm with Ragnarok, that's clearly violating the rules. Just because people thought he could play guard doesn't change the fact that he hasn't.

It's actually not that clear of a violation. Technically he hasn't played 2 seasons in the NFL. It's on me for not making the rule more clear, I apologize.

It's a gray area. I explained the intent of the rule. He has been discussed as a guard prospect.

If people are really upset about this @grizmo78 can repick or he can have an excellent backup tackle.  

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, NickChowaniec said:

It's actually not that clear of a violation. Technically he hasn't played 2 seasons in the NFL. It's on me for not making the rule more clear, I apologize.

It's a gray area. I explained the intent of the rule. He has been discussed as a guard prospect.

If people are really upset about this @grizmo78 can repick or he can have an excellent backup tackle.  

I'll keep him regardless I guess. Personally I'd like a couple more people's feedback as it seems thus far Ragnarok, Blue, bcb are the firm no's with Nick, Eagles, Tyron and festive being at the very least ambivalent. Can we settle on majority rules? 11 (not including me) means 6 yes/no is deciding factor?