Nick's All-NFL Rebuild Draft - Discussion Thread

Nick

1 hour ago, NickChowaniec said:

It's actually not that clear of a violation. Technically he hasn't played 2 seasons in the NFL. It's on me for not making the rule more clear, I apologize.

It's a gray area. I explained the intent of the rule. He has been discussed as a guard prospect.

If people are really upset about this @grizmo78 can repick or he can have an excellent backup tackle.  

I mean David Bakhtiari was discussed as a center prospect coming into the NFL, can I play him there? There are several other players who have been "discussed" at different positions but haven't played there, can I draft them and move them around?

Dude hasn't played guard. Rules say you can't play a guy at a position he hasn't played in the last two seasons. It does not specify "in the NFL." Jonah Williams being hurt last year doesn't change the fact that he hasn't played guard in the last two years and wasn't going to play guard last year even if he had been healthy.

Edited by Blue

23 minutes ago, Blue said:

I mean David Bakhtiari was discussed as a center prospect coming into the NFL, can I play him there? There are several other players who have been "discussed" at different positions but haven't played there, can I draft them and move them around?

Dude hasn't played guard. Rules say you can't play a guy at a position he hasn't played in the last two seasons. It does not specify "in the NFL." Jonah Williams being hurt last year doesn't change the fact that he hasn't played guard in the last two years and wasn't going to play guard last year even if he had been healthy.

lol. I'm on board with a discussion/debate but that was a terrible argument... There are plenty of guards in the nfl who played only college tackle because they were the most talented on their team. I mentioned Zach Martin, Brandon Sherff, Dalton Risner played 3 years of tackle in college before the nfl. Logan Mankins only played LT in college. I can appreciate the argument that the Bengals drafted him to be a tackle but to compare this situation with a player who has spent 7 years in the nfl at tackle is a terrible take. 

Based on "likes" on previous posts, looks like the count is 4 No (added Chomp) , 5 ambivalent/yes (added deadpulse) 

Edited by grizmo78

15 minutes ago, grizmo78 said:

lol. I'm on board with a discussion/debate but that was a terrible argument... There are plenty of guards in the nfl who played only college tackle because they were the most talented on their team.

Is Jonah Williams a guard in the NFL? No? Then it doesn't matter that there are guards in the NFL who played tackle in college because Jonah Williams isn't one of them.

Edited by Blue

I mean, he's already drafted Williams. It's just a question of whether he gets to list him at guard with the sole justification being that Williams was hurt last year.

And yeah, I think making an exception is really unfair to the other 11 people in this who haven't had any issue following the rules for the past 25 rounds.

Edited by Blue

3 minutes ago, Blue said:

Is Jonah Williams a guard in the NFL? No? Then it doesn't matter that there are guards in the NFL who played tackle in college because Jonah Williams isn't one of them.

Right... but if we're looking at 2 years ago, he would have been in college... hence the question about the rule. And the argument that he played college tackle so he must play tackle isn't a sound argument due to the number of college tackles who play there due to being the most talented on their team. And proven by the fact that many college tackles end up at guard in the nfl. Imo it is a matter of, would you allow someone like Tristan Wirfs to be played at guard in this or not, and if so then I think Williams should be allowed as well. If not, then we're being consistent and I'll adjust according to the majority. I see the argument either way but the argument you currently are trying to make isn't a strong one imo. 

Just now, grizmo78 said:

Right... but if we're looking at 2 years ago, he would have been in college...

Where he also didn't play guard.

I might give you the time of day on this if Williams was a rookie, but he's not and he is/was widely expected to play left tackle last year. You have no leg to stand on here.

3 minutes ago, EaglesPeteC said:

We still on this? 

Personally I think the most fair is majority rules so we'd need a couple more people to chime in on if they would allow it or not. But if @NickChowaniec wants to make an ultimate decision I'll respect that too. Either way it would change up my strategy going forward a bit. 

1 minute ago, Blue said:

Where he also didn't play guard.

I might give you the time of day on this if Williams was a rookie, but he's not and he is/was widely expected to play left tackle last year. You have no leg to stand on here.

You're missing the point... This is where you're being inconsistent then and even more so makes less sense to me. College tackle =/= nfl tackle. 2 years ago he was in college. If you would be willing to allow it if he was a rookie vs 2nd year, how is that different? 

1 minute ago, grizmo78 said:

You're missing the point... This is where you're being inconsistent then and even more so makes less sense to me. College tackle =/= nfl tackle. 2 years ago he was in college. If you would be willing to allow it if he was a rookie vs 2nd year, how is that different? 

The rules explicitly say they had to have played the position in the last two years. Williams hadn't. The conversation should end there.

I didn't say I'd be willing to allow it, just that I would be willing to listen.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Blue said:

Your argument sucks, FYI. 

Jonah Williams has never played a down in the NFL while Bakhtiari has proven himself at LT. Jonah was projected pre-draft as best fit to play guard, could he still play there? Absolutely. He has yet to play a down as a tackle. It's a completely different situation.

I said it was a gray area because it doesn't specify NFL. I made a mistake not clarifying apparently and of course someone has to take it this far. 

How about everyone is allowed to move ONE player on the offense to a different position. For this, 99% of that would be within the OL.

And ONE guy on defense can be moved (CB to a S, smaller LB to a S, etc...)

Just thought I’d chime in...

Edited by Tyronnosaurus

12 minutes ago, Tyronnosaurus said:

How about everyone is allowed to move ONE player on the offense to a different position. For this, 99% of that would be within the OL.

And ONE guy on defense can be moved (CB to a S, smaller LB to a S, etc...)

Just thought I’d chime in...

Might have been a solid plan pre draft.  Little late to switch up the rules