Training Camp

turtle28

22 minutes ago, Counselor said:

I’m here for an Antonio Gibson update who has one for me?

He’s looked good, fast and hard to catch. They’ve used him both as a RB & as a receiver. Beat reporters have talked about his explosiveness when he gets the ball in his hands.

1. Antonio Gibson - When Adrian Peterson compliments a rookie, it's time to pay attention. "He’s an athlete. He probably could play linebacker. You could put him on the defensive side of the ball as well. When you look at his snaps in college, he took the majority of his snaps from the receiver position. But being around him, you see him at the running back position and it looks like it’s natural for him as well. He’s a big body, big lower body, thick thighs, he’s a big body guy. He’s not fat by any means. So, to be so big and athletic and have great hands, it’s going to be exciting to see what he’ll be able to do for us within this offense.”On the practice field Gibson makes an undeniable impact even if he's not always in the right spot. What's most impressive with Gibson is how he moves, with speed but under control, not the breakneck pace that some rookies hit when they're trying to acclimate. Last note on Gibson, he's got great hands. High or low, he seems to catch most everything thrown his way.

2. Hitting - Having now watched a week of Ron Rivera's practices it's clear the Washington boss is fine with heavy contact. The NFL stipulated that teams can hold 14 padded practices before the season begins, and it seems like Rivera will use every last one. The team wore full pads today, for the second day in a row, and the action was serious. On a bubble screen throw to RB J.D. McKissic, LB Cole Holcomb blew up WR Dontrelle Inman who was trying to throw a block. Holcomb hit Inman into McKissic who got blasted to the ground. Shaun Dion Hamilton continued to fly around to the ball without much care of what offensive player got in his way and Troy Apke made a big hit too.

Edited by turtle28
  • Like 1

Coach Ron Rivera has spotted Thomas’ potential in recent practices.

“You see certain things, certain elements,” Rivera said. “We know Logan is showing to be a really good target, especially in the red zone. You see him kind of developing the rapport you’d love with Dwayne. I think Dwayne’s hit him something like five times in the red zone and in the end zone in the last three days. So, you know they’re building that kind of rapport, which is great. . . . You’ve got to have that kind of rapport where things sometimes aren’t just about what’s said in the huddle, but what’s about what’s looked at on the field.”

He’s looking good," veteran running back Adrian Peterson said of Christian. 

Those two work out together in the offseason in Houston, and Peterson said he was impressed with how hard Christian worked this year knowing there was a real opportunity this fall. 

"I was able to be around him and see the type of work he was putting in. He has some big shoes to fill. It’s hard to sit here and say ‘Oh, you’re just going to replace [former Washington tackle] Trent [Williams].’ You can’t do that. He’s an eight-year in a row Pro Bowler, All-Pro. Trent is who he is, but Christian is doing a great job of filling in that blank space that we had and working to get better. He’s coming around."

This season, however, is a fresh start with head coach Ron Rivera. He wants young guys to play, and Christian certainly qualifies. He will turn 24 just before the Week 1 matchup against the Eagles and has just two starts in two years since being selected in the third round of the 2018 Draft.

"The biggest thing with Geron more so than anything else is that he’s an athletic football player. He moves very well," Rivera said last week. "He’s a smart, young man who’s picked things up very nicely. He just hasn’t had a chance to play a lot of football, so we’re really interested in watching him, especially if he’s going to play and participate and do some of the things he’s done. He’s done some really good things. He’s caught our eye. He’s caught our attention."

Simply catching the coaching staff's attention is a big step for Christian. 

"He was really grinding. You could tell that he was on a mission," Peterson said of Christian's offseason workouts. "He showed that by how he worked and how he came in and the effort that he put in."

Looking at the Washington offensive line, the depth isn't the strongest. In fact, Christian and right tackle Morgan Moses got a rest day last week. The results were bad as the edges of the offensive line got abused by a clearly superior Washington defensive line. The quarterbacks had a terrible day in large part to being unable to drop back before pressure in their face.

Edited by turtle28

31 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

He’s looked good, fast and hard to catch. They’ve used him both as a RB & as a receiver. Beat reporters have talked about his explosiveness when he gets the ball in his hands.

This is the type of post I was hoping for!!! I like all those players a lot super talented and athletic!!

• Like 1

That Terry catch today was sick!!! Dwayne has a really effortless throw and I hope he gets comfortable because guys give him reasons to trust they can make plays when defenses try to take away Terry. But hopefully Terry turns into one of those beat the focus type WR’s because that is important to winning late.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, ripsean21 said:

That Terry catch today was sick!!! Dwayne has a really effortless throw and I hope he gets comfortable because guys give him reasons to trust they can make plays when defenses try to take away Terry. But hopefully Terry turns into one of those beat the focus type WR’s because that is important to winning late.

I was also impressed by Stroman’s coverage. Yeah, Terry made an amazing catch on him, but Stroman was right there. It was good coverage from what will probably be our #5 corner.

Edited by turtle28

According to Nicki Jhabvala of The Washington Post, Thomas is “emerging” as the team’s top tight end. And Washington’s head coach Ron Rivera was complimentary of his growth in a recent interview.

“Even though he’s new to the position, relatively in terms of his development, he’s growing,” Rivera said. “And again, he’s the type of guy you want to grow with.”

Edited by turtle28