Why did Reggie Bush Bust?

Ty21

Reggie Bush never had particularly good vision or power. At USC, he relied heavily on having huge holes to run through and being a much better athlete on the field than everyone else. The problem though, is that there's a difference between being an athletic freak by college standards vs in the NFL. Don't get me wrong, he was a great athlete by NFL standards as well, but not enough to get by on that alone like he did in college. 

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, 1234567 said:

Reggie Bush never had particularly good vision or power. At USC, he relied heavily on having huge holes to run through and being a much better athlete on the field than everyone else. The problem though, is that there's a difference between being an athletic freak by college standards vs in the NFL. Don't get me wrong, he was a great athlete by NFL standards as well, but not enough to get by on that alone like he did in college. 

Reggie Bush is the Ted Ginn of RBs. Maybe overdrafted, but had long productive careers with some highlights. Both have 2 of the most insane college highlight tapes Ive ever watched that was predicated on speed and athleticism that never really took over like many thought in the NFL. 

Seriously though, if you have never seen Ginns college highlights make it a point to go watch on Youtube. Man was ridiculous.

• Like 4

Bush reminded me of Marcus Allen and I thought he'd have a better career

You'd think he would have been an unreal threat to lineup in the backfield and then shift and be a lights out slot receiver being covered by a linebacker

When he got to NO, They were still pushing Deuce as RB1 and by the time he got to Miami he was 27 and they were a RB by committee even though Bush was putting out 5 YPC

Then injuries, then he was done

I would have like to have seen him be a primary runner from the get go

1 hour ago, AkronsWitness said:

Reggie Bush is the Ted Ginn of RBs. Maybe overdrafted, but had long productive careers with some highlights. Both have 2 of the most insane college highlight tapes Ive ever watched that was predicated on speed and athleticism that never really took over like many thought in the NFL. 

Seriously though, if you have never seen Ginns college highlights make it a point to go watch on Youtube. Man was ridiculous.

As a Cardinals fan, I am familiar with Ginn's escapades. Of course he finally turned it on AFTER he was off the team, when he was with the team that beat us in the NFC Championship.

Just now, HoboRocket said:

As a Cardinals fan, I am familiar with Ginn's escapades. Of course he finally turned it on AFTER he was off the team, when he was with the team that beat us in the NFC Championship.

Yeah he took a while to round into shape and find his niche much like Bush. Was never much of a route runner until far later on in his career and he made his money on just straight up outrunning defenders with his track speed. It was laughable how he would just blow the doors off of every DB and how much faster he was than anybody on the other teams defense.

I think earlier in his career offenses were trying to use him like something he wasnt and wish he had some custom packages and plays to get him the ball with his strengths. Ohio St. did that with him but when he got to the NFL I feel like they tried to make him more of a traditional outside WR which is why he struggled.

• Like 1

Just now, AkronsWitness said:

Yeah he took a while to round into shape and find his niche much like Bush. Was never much of a route runner until far later on in his career and he made his money on just straight up outrunning defenders with his track speed. It was laughable how he would just blow the doors off of every DB and how much faster he was than anybody on the other teams defense.

I think earlier in his career offenses were trying to use him like something he wasnt and wish he had some custom packages and plays to get him the ball with his strengths. Ohio St. did that with him but when he got to the NFL I feel like they tried to make him more of a traditional outside WR which is why he struggled.

Agreed. His run against Oklahoma State and return against Michigan are just things that shouldn't happen with a normal human. And he's STILL capable of taking it 80 to the house. But yeah, he was capable of being a vertical threat, unlike Tavon Austin, and his ideal role in the NFL early-on would have been like a rich-man's 2015 Tavon Austin.

20 minutes ago, HoboRocket said:

Agreed. His run against Oklahoma State and return against Michigan are just things that shouldn't happen with a normal human. And he's STILL capable of taking it 80 to the house. But yeah, he was capable of being a vertical threat, unlike Tavon Austin, and his ideal role in the NFL early-on would have been like a rich-man's 2015 Tavon Austin.

Can you image him at 22 or 23 years old in a system like KC/GB/NO where creating space and mismatches is king

• Like 1