Why did Reggie Bush Bust?

Ty21

3 minutes ago, Mr Bad Example said:

I hate the term "bust." He was a productive NFL player. As a #2 overall and with the hype he had coming in, sure, it was a bit of a disappointment, but 9000 total yds, a couple 1000 yd rushing seasons, just short of 500 catches, 50+ tds? That's 1st round production. 

Plus that was a garbage draft, at least as far as high first rounders go. What a bunch of stiffs. 

I'll say this: If I have the #2 overall pick in the draft, and I KNOW what Reggie Bush's career will be (that's not even taking into account the fact that NO elected not to pay him after his rookie contract), I'm turning it down.

On 6/4/2020 at 8:59 AM, THE DUKE said:

AJ Hawk had 84+ tackles in all 9 seasons he was a starter, and was over 100 tackles in 5 of those.  946 career tackles, 20 sacks, 9 interceptions.  Over drafted?  Yeah, probably with only 1 pro bowl appearance, but he was a damn good player for nearly a decade.

Go say in this in the GB forum. 

27 minutes ago, DannyB said:

I'll say this: If I have the #2 overall pick in the draft, and I KNOW what Reggie Bush's career will be (that's not even taking into account the fact that NO elected not to pay him after his rookie contract), I'm turning it down.

I don't pick him #2 overall either. And I may be parsing here, but if it's a pick in "THE" draft,  that's one thing. If it's a pick in the '06 draft.....he was tied for 19th in PFR's career AV,  and while he was arguably the 3rd best RB in that draft behind MJD and DeAngelo Williams, and basically if you wanted a useful RB who'd have a decently long career, it was those 2 or Bush, maybe Joseph Addai.  

So I don't pick him #2....if I'm sitting at #22, I might be thinking we can use this guy. 

Edited by Mr Bad Example

33 minutes ago, Mr Bad Example said:

So I don't pick him #2....if I'm sitting at #22, I might be thinking we can use this guy. 

Bottom of the 1st round maybe if I need another decent weapon, but 22 is like...WAY less valuable.

• Like 1

He was drafted in 2006. I think a lot of us are forgetting that was almost 15 years ago. NFL has changed a lot since then. His body and skillset isnt much different than McCaffrey. But NFL schemes have changed drastically since then.

• Like 1

On 6/4/2020 at 12:04 AM, Tyty said:

I’m a Notre Dame fan so I hated Reggie Bush in college but I just watched a highlight video of him and it sent me back in time 15 years. Pretty bummed he never played at the level he was expected to. 

Kim Kardashian

On 6/4/2020 at 9:39 AM, thebestever6 said:

I never thought he ran with enough juice in the pros you watch Sproles with the ball with the Saints and him and it's night and day

I agree with this, and I think RabidPanther89 touched on it too. He just didn't have enough behind his pads to run wild in the NFL like he did at USC.

Part of it was being a slender guy, part of it was not getting low. But in the NFL, that extra 1-2 yards after contact is what gets you more carries. He couldn't deliver that.

• Like 1

On 6/4/2020 at 12:25 AM, DannyB said:

He didn't have a bad career by any means. He hung around and was decently effective for awhile. I do agree he ultimately was a bust though for the #2 overall pick.

I think it's the classic case of his skillset and athleticism being so superior in college that he just blew everybody out of the water, but among the competition level in the NFL, just wasn't as far ahead of the crowd. He was still good enough to accumulate some really nice, flashy plays, but not enough to just dust everybody the way he did in college.

I wouldn't say that he busted for the #2 overall pick. I think it was just a matter of unbelievable expectations that weren't met. People were expecting him to be an all-time great, which is a really difficult standard to meet.