Why did Reggie Bush Bust?

Ty21

On 6/10/2020 at 12:03 AM, KingOfTheDot said:

Aaron Curry is a bust, Vernon Gholston is a bust, Reggie Bush is not a bust.

There are different levels of a being a bust.   Reggie Bush could be considered a bust.   Maybe not on the level of the All Time Greatests Busts, but a bust is a player who severely underperforms relative to their draft status.   By that definition, Reggie can be defined as a bust.

NOW....I am not saying he definitely IS a bust.   I can see the argument against it as well.   All Im saying is that there are arguments for and against it.

Personally, I wouldnt call Bush a bust either, but he is in a weird limbo, because I sure as hell wouldnt call him a success.   Drafted 2nd overall and touted to be a generational talent, and he turned out to be just a good 3rd down back and return man.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FourThreeMafia said:

There are different levels of a being a bust.   Reggie Bush could be considered a bust.   Maybe not on the level of the All Time Greatests Busts, but a bust is a player who severely underperforms relative to their draft status.   By that definition, Reggie can be defined as a bust.

NOW....I am not saying he definitely IS a bust.   I can see the argument against it as well.   All Im saying is that there are arguments for and against it.

Personally, I wouldnt call Bush a bust either, but he is in a weird limbo, because I sure as hell wouldnt call him a success.   Drafted 2nd overall and touted to be a generational talent, and he turned out to be just a good 3rd down back and return man.  

Reggie Bush wasn’t a bust. He just didn’t live up to expectations. 

• Like 1

On 6/4/2020 at 11:59 AM, NJerseypaint said:

I'm pretty sure Bush admitted that he couldn't run around everyone in the NFL like he did in college and it took him a couple seasons to learn that. I just can't find the quote.

Found it!

https://www.nola.com/sports/saints/article_9719b674-e645-5e45-9007-29360d1c9a30.html

That's the first step, just recognizing it and getting better from there. ... I'm really just working on being explosive and, yes, hitting the holes. I think over these last two years I haven't done that.

It just took him some time to adapt. If you look at his stats after this article, it's clear his running improved: https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/B/BushRe00.htm

2 hours ago, mission27 said:

If he were drafted 10 years later he'd be a Hall of Famer imo.  

He would be even worse now. Because his style is more commonplace today, defenses are now built better to stop it (ie more nickel/dime packages, more LBs who are faster due to being LB/DB tweeters). The only apparent benefit he’s have today is being in an offense that more utilizes an outside runner and receiver. But he was with Payton; he was given that exact role and the best position he could ever ask for. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Duluther said:

He would be even worse now. Because his style is more commonplace today, defenses are now built better to stop it (ie more nickel/dime packages, more LBs who are faster due to being LB/DB tweeters). The only apparent benefit he’s have today is being in an offense that more utilizes an outside runner and receiver. But he was with Payton; he was given that exact role and the best position he could ever ask for. 

Eh yes its more commonplace but come on.  I have eyes.  I see these guys today who put up video game stats and I saw Reggie Bush.  Reggie was 10x the athlete any of these guys are.  He didnt get the coaching or scheming he needed.  Yes he had Payton but even Payton didn't know how to use him the first few years.  He was a trail blazer in a way.  Guys like Alvin Kamara are a poor mans Reggie Bush in an NFL thats more geared towards utilizing skills rather than trying to pigeon hole every running back into being Sean Alexander.

I think the NFL today is much more geared to finding a way to use an athelete's skillset rather than saying you are either X or you are worthless. 

Like Lamar Jackson would not have been an NFL player 10 years ago.  Now he's a superstar.  Reggie was ahead of his time.

9 hours ago, KingOfTheDot said:

Reggie Bush wasn’t a bust. He just didn’t live up to expectations. 

He didnt even come close, not just to individual expectations...but the expectations of a 2nd overall pick RB

So again, in that regard, he can be characterized as a bust.

I think the NFL today is much more geared to finding a way to use an athelete's skillset rather than saying you are either X or you are worthless. 

Like Lamar Jackson would not have been an NFL player 10 years ago.  Now he's a superstar.  Reggie was ahead of his time.

Lol Lamar Jackson would most certainly be an NFL player 10 years ago Vince Young went 3 overall over Leinart and Cutler

1 hour ago, mission27 said:

Eh yes its more commonplace but come on.  I have eyes.  I see these guys today who put up video game stats and I saw Reggie Bush.  Reggie was 10x the athlete any of these guys are.  He didnt get the coaching or scheming he needed.  Yes he had Payton but even Payton didn't know how to use him the first few years.  He was a trail blazer in a way.  Guys like Alvin Kamara are a poor mans Reggie Bush in an NFL thats more geared towards utilizing skills rather than trying to pigeon hole every running back into being Sean Alexander.

This is sensationalism. Bush was not 10x the athlete of any good HB today. ‘Payton didn’t know how to use Bush his first few years,‘ yet Bush’s best year in NO was his rookie year. What backs are putting up video game numbers? Only Mccaffrey is putting up “video game” numbers imo, and Bush is no Mccaffrrey, so that’s irrelevant.

You’re speaking in generals. That’s true in many situations for many players. But please tell me how Bush’s situation would be changed today for the better. Under Payton, he was in basically the same role in NO that he would be today, and against defenses much less apt to contain such a role.

Bust means complete and total failure; Vernon Gholston, Jamarcus Russell, etc.

Bush was definitely overdrafted and overall disappointing, but he had a long career, contributed to a Super Bowl winner and had a role in the league.

Edited by $andtrap

2 hours ago, thebestever6 said:

Lol Lamar Jackson would most certainly be an NFL player 10 years ago Vince Young went 3 overall over Leinart and Cutler

After that Rose Bowl performance, I was sure Vince Young was going to be the next big thing in the NFL.  As it turned out, he didn't have the maturity, the brain, or the motivation to make it in the league.  That was a shame.

25 minutes ago, Uncle Buck said:

After that Rose Bowl performance, I was sure Vince Young was going to be the next big thing in the NFL.  As it turned out, he didn't have the maturity, the brain, or the motivation to make it in the league.  That was a shame.

Didn't help that Jeff Fisher wanted no part of him. It's hard to believe he was rookie of the year at one time. I never was a fan of his side arm delivery but that championship game was legendary.

• Like 2