Nick Foles Will Start/Jonathan Wood Analysis

soulman

If Cincinnati is worst in league and wants to trade Burrow so they can draft Lawrence that might be an option for Bears for their QB of future.

Might as well burn some first rounders.   Mack is better than all our first rounders combined under Pace.  

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Heinz D. said:

Why on earth would the Bears decide to bring Mitch back if Foles clearly beats him out? There is virtually no way that happens.

Well one reason is because it's possible neither clearly beats out the other and both play.  Neither of them have ever completed a full 16 game season as #1.

Another reason would be that if Foles finishes as the #1 yet Mitch still shows progress he may be a more than acceptable second QB who signs for another year for #2 money and will compete to become #1 again and then perhaps sign a longer term deal.

A third reason would be that we don't find a top QB to draft who can replace either Foles or Trubisky so Pace drafts a "suspect" guy after round one and decided to keep both Foles and Mitch until we see how well the rookie can play.

There's lot's of possibilities we won't be able to predict 'til we see what happens this year.  I'm still not sold that Foles will start.

23 hours ago, Heinz D. said:

By normal draft slotting, no. They won't be in a position to draft Lawrence. But to think they have a shot at him is delusional?

I'll bet you $20 Trevor Lawrence is the #1 overall pick and another $20 Pace will not trade up to draft him if he is.  So yeah.  It's delusional but if you think I'm wrong here's your chance to take some of my money from me.  :D

31 minutes ago, soulman said:

Well one reason is because it's possible neither clearly beats out the other and both play.  Neither of them have ever completed a full 16 game season as #1.

Another reason would be that if Foles finishes as the #1 yet Mitch still shows progress he may be a more than acceptable second QB who signs for another year for #2 money and will compete to become #1 again and then perhaps sign a longer term deal.

A third reason would be that we don't find a top QB to draft who can replace either Foles or Trubisky so Pace drafts a "suspect" guy after round one and decided to keep both Foles and Mitch until we see how well the rookie can play.

There's lot's of possibilities we won't be able to predict 'til we see what happens this year.  I'm still not sold that Foles will start.

Mitch isn't going to go from a big payout from the Bears to a small payout from the Bears with no chance of starting. That just doesn't happen anymore. He'll screw himself out of a decent paycheck because he'll still want to prove he can start somewhere.

Of course, that could end up being with the Edmonton Eskimos...

27 minutes ago, soulman said:

I'll bet you $20 Trevor Lawrence is the #1 overall pick and another $20 Pace will not trade up to draft him if he is.  So yeah.  It's delusional but if you think I'm wrong here's your chance to take some of my money from me.  :D

Won't take the first. Will take the second. 

There's too much football ahead. Burrow was never thought to be the sure fire #1 before last season. And the other contenders for best college QB are right in Lawrence's vicinity, talent-wise. 

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, Heinz D. said:

Mitch isn't going to go from a big payout from the Bears to a small payout from the Bears with no chance of starting. That just doesn't happen anymore. He'll screw himself out of a decent paycheck because he'll still want to prove he can start somewhere.

There's too much football ahead. Burrow was never thought to be the sure fire #1 before last season. And the other contenders for best college QB are right in Lawrence's vicinity, talent-wise. 

If Lawrence suffers a Bridgewater-like injury in their bowl game, Fields could easily be the #1 pick. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, dll2000 said:

If Cincinnati is worst in league and wants to trade Burrow so they can draft Lawrence that might be an option for Bears for their QB of future.

Might as well burn some first rounders.   Mack is better than all our first rounders combined under Pace.  

I'm down. Burrow to the Bears baby. 

20 hours ago, Heinz D. said:

OK on #2 then and make it a nice crisp $20 not one with your mug on it either.  LOLOL

What big payout?  All he's getting in cash for 2020 is $4.5 mil and change.  That's already backup money.  Foles is getting $8 mil and even that isn't starters money.

If Foles tops him as the #1 and Mitch spends the entire year as our #2 tell me what you believe other teams might offer him in the way of a deal including guarantees.  Tell me what teams will sign him to a lengthy deal as a starter with the kind of money he got as a rookie.  No siree Bob.....he'll need to earn his way back into a starters deal again which means accepting one or two year deals as a #2 while he works at that and hopes he makes it.

If he doesn't start this year he becomes a failed pick unless he can prove otherwise either in Chicago or elsewhere.  If we draft a top QB prospect in round one and are paying him 1st round money then no, Pace won't keep Mitch.  But if we don't and we can see some progress in Mitch I see no reason not to at least offer him a contract with incentives he can earn if he takes back the #1 spot. 

I don't believe Pace and Nagy have even come close to giving up on him yet.  We won't know that 'til sometime after this season when we have a better idea of where we may draft and who the QB "suspects" are.  If Trevor Lawrence goes #1 overall and we draft him I'll even come and wash and wax your old jalopy every Saturday.....xD

• Like 1

3 hours ago, soulman said:

If Foles tops him as the #1 and Mitch spends the entire year as our #2 tell me what you believe other teams might offer him in the way of a deal including guarantees.  Tell me what teams will sign him to a lengthy deal as a starter with the kind of money he got as a rookie.  No siree Bob.....he'll need to earn his way back into a starters deal again which means accepting one or two year deals as a #2 while he works at that and hopes he makes it.

There is no chance he'll get a big deal anywhere else if he bombs this year. But...like a typical quarterback, he won't accept that, and he'll test the market.

The Bears wouldn't want him anyway. "Here's our backup QB, you know, the second pick of the 2017 draft?" They'll want that stench of failure far from the organization. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, soulman said:

I don't believe Pace and Nagy have even come close to giving up on him yet.  We won't know that 'til sometime after this season when we have a better idea of where we may draft and who the QB "suspects" are.  If Trevor Lawrence goes #1 overall and we draft him I'll even come and wash and wax your old jalopy every Saturday.....xD

If Trubisky just isn't "it"...and Foles is okay, but less than stellar, I see no reason that Pace won't trade up for a QB. 

It'd be negligence, otherwise. 

He'll trade up, I guarantee it. 

• Like 1

On 6/30/2020 at 4:29 PM, Heinz D. said:

There is no chance he'll get a big deal anywhere else if he bombs this year. But...like a typical quarterback, he won't accept that, and he'll test the market.

The Bears wouldn't want him anyway. "Here's our backup QB, you know, the second pick of the 2017 draft?" They'll want that stench of failure far from the organization. 

So he tests the market.  Maybe he finds no takers because he'd need to learn a new offense and we aren't sure yet whether he's even learned this one.  If he fails again he's got to be a very slow learner which would also impact his marketability.  In Chicago he'd at least know most of the offense but hasn't executed it well enough to keep his #1 spot.  But that doesn't make him worthless as a #2.

Why wouldn't the Bears want him?   Do you believe there's never been a highly drafted NFL QB whose ever been demoted to a #2 with the team who drafted him?  I get that these are your opinions but they are a far cry from established fact right now.

This debate between us getting like an episode of Wayne's World.  You're Garth and I'm Wayne.....LOL

200.gif      tumblr_mxx7e6WjAW1rcoly3o2_250.gif

On 6/30/2020 at 4:57 PM, Heinz D. said:

If Trubisky just isn't "it"...and Foles is okay, but less than stellar, I see no reason that Pace won't trade up for a QB. 

It'd be negligence, otherwise. 

He'll trade up, I guarantee it. 

And if he doesn't you're gonna wash and wax my old jalopy every Saturday. :P

• Like 1