Harrison Smith

Hunter2_1

6 hours ago, SemperFeist said:

It’s really not that crazy when comparing their careers at all. They really aren’t close. 

Smith has played 8 seasons, starting 113 games. He has 5 Pro Bowls and 2 All Pros (1 first team and 1 second team) on his resume. 

In comparison, Polamalu through his first eight seasons had started 91 games (didn’t start as a rookie), was a 6 time Pro Bowler, 5 time All Pro (3 first team and 2 second team), and a Defensive Player of the Year. Not to mention he was an integral part of Pittsburgh’s three Super Bowl teams within those 8 years. 

Statistically Smith has accomplished more. He doesn’t have the flash that Polamalu had, and as I mentioned, doesn’t have the team success either. I’d argue that Harrison Smith’s ‘17 season was as good as Polamalu’s 2010 season.

He’s deserved 1st team all-pro more than once. He’s a hall of fame caliber player that I sadly agree will not make it.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, JDBrocks said:

Statistically Smith has accomplished more. He doesn’t have the flash that Polamalu had, and as I mentioned, doesn’t have the team success either. I’d argue that Harrison Smith’s ‘17 season was as good as Polamalu’s 2010 season.

He’s deserved 1st team all-pro more than once. He’s a hall of fame caliber player that I sadly agree will not make it.

Hmmm...I love Harrison Smith, but Polamalu is the superior athlete with uncanny timing.  If I had a choice between each player in their prime, I would choose Polamalu.

31 minutes ago, Virginia Viking said:

Hmmm...I love Harrison Smith, but Polamalu is the superior athlete with uncanny timing.  If I had a choice between each player in their prime, I would choose Polamalu.

They aren't worlds apart though, which is the overall point that I'm making. If Troy Polamalu is a 1st ballot HOF player, then Smith should have a strong argument to at least get in.

I don't think there's much of a chance that Harrison even gets considered for the HOF.  Of the most recent run of players, really the only considerations will go to Jared Allen and Adrian Peterson.  There's no one on the current roster that even has a chance.  Harry is clearly a ROH type player though.     

1 hour ago, swede700 said:

There's no one on the current roster that even has a chance.

If Hunter stays healthy, he’ll end up with well over 100 sacks. 10th all time (counting since 1982) is 137.5 sacks.

Hunter is currently at 54.5 sacks through 5 seasons. He’s already 22nd on the list of active players — ahead of everyone else drafted in 2015 or later, actually trailing only players drafted in 2012 or earlier, plus Mack and Donald from 2014. He turns 26 this year. He’s very likely to reach that top 10 threshold if he plays another 7 or 8 healthy seasons, and if he stays productive past his mid 30s, Julius Peppers style, he could end up close to 200 sacks and the top of the all time list. 

Edited by Krauser
  • Like 1

Again, Polamalu was a great player. But if he had played in Minnesota, and not Pittsburgh, he wouldn’t have had all of the accolades. Would he have had more than Harry? Yes. But not many more. If Harrison played on those Steeler defenses, he’d have more accolades too. 

• 2 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, Duluther said:

I won’t give Madden credit for ratings when Danielle Hunter, a top 5-7 defensive player in the NFL, is in the 80’s.

I don't really either, because you can already see who else isn't listed in this top 10...and it might be even more egregious than leaving Danielle off.  

• 2 weeks later...

I thought it was the Taysom Hill TD in the Saints playoff game, but that was charged to Holton Hill. 

Rewatching the highlight, you can see he jumps the wrong vertical route (Harris could've covered the TE up the seam). Smith had underneath coverage and just reacted to the throw, but the receiver wasn't his responsibility: 

Another example for my "Holton Hill is overrated" file.