Harrison Smith

Hunter2_1

1 hour ago, TENINCH said:

He doesn't get nearly e tough respect from NFL fans. He's near HOF material. You could argue he's the best safety in the nfl right now. 

Very true, he probably is the best safety in the NFL, especially over the past few weeks where he is moved all over the field.  Dude is a HOF player all day long and hopefully he will retire a Viking.

Kind of surprising, he did not show this type of range on Notre Dame, he was more just a quick athletic linebacker and played around the line of scrimmage a lot.  He actually was a linebacker on Notre Dame for awhile if I remember, had a great JR year but SR year not so much.  Did have some key interceptions as a JR but was nothing amazing in coverage.  Now he can do it all and helps show just how good Zimmer can develop defensive backs with ability.  

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Ozzy said:

Very true, he probably is the best safety in the NFL, especially over the past few weeks where he is moved all over the field.  Dude is a HOF player all day long and hopefully he will retire a Viking.

Kind of surprising, he did not show this type of range on Notre Dame, he was more just a quick athletic linebacker and played around the line of scrimmage a lot.  He actually was a linebacker on Notre Dame for awhile if I remember, had a great JR year but SR year not so much.  Did have some key interceptions as a JR but was nothing amazing in coverage.  Now he can do it all and helps show just how good Zimmer can develop defensive backs with ability.  

It brought to my mind that should be noted too how odd it is that the Vikings have 2 sets of college teammates that spent most, if not all of their careers together in both college and the NFL.  We already know about Barr and Kendricks, certainly.  But, Harry was a redshirt freshman at ND when Rudolph arrived in South Bend.    

23 hours ago, swede700 said:

It brought to my mind that should be noted too how odd it is that the Vikings have 2 sets of college teammates that spent most, if not all of their careers together in both college and the NFL.  We already know about Barr and Kendricks, certainly.  But, Harry was a redshirt freshman at ND when Rudolph arrived in South Bend.    

That is true, I forgot about Harrison and Kyle being on the same team at the same time.  Hopefully Barr when he comes back can play up to that massive contract and play up to his potential but not sure how that will work in the NFL of today.  Ideally he would be put at DE in two linebacker sets but not sure they do that and not sure getting rid of such a talented young backer like Eric Wilson is a good idea either.

But Harrison Smith is arguably having one of the better seasons of his career, in the past few weeks especially because of how much he has to do and cover up for the youth and inexperience at CB.  Love how they are moving him around and keeping him aggressive and making the offense not know pre snap where he is going to be once the play starts.  He likes that much more than just sitting deep in coverage, but thankfully Anthony Harris can be the one that does that and can handle the work load.