NCAA and the NFL Draft

Ftn49

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/06/03/ncaa-lets-undrafted-arizona-state-punter-return-to-college-football/

So many possible repercussions from this...

If it becomes a standard thing, is it only for the undrafted? If the drafted are allowed to come back how much will that piss off the nfl? Does it evolve into an NHL type draft where the pro teams draft a guy and then he plays in the minors/college until he is ready to sign his pro contract?

On 6/7/2020 at 8:34 AM, smokeybandit said:

How many undrafted players *want* to come back to school. I'm guessing not many.

If you don't get signed and have the opportunity to go back, boost your stock, and get drafted the next year you'd be an idiot to not take the opportunity. I could see staying in the NFL if you were signed as an UDFA, but his situation would just put him on the street. 

• Like 2

On 6/10/2020 at 8:21 PM, smokeybandit said:

My point being most guys that leave early yet go undrafted were probably done with being a college student anyway for one reason or another.

I think you’re wrong. I think they get bad intel and decide to take their chances at the NFL prematurely. I think at least 80% of undrafted players would go back, if given the opportunity. 

On 6/7/2020 at 10:34 AM, smokeybandit said:

How many undrafted players *want* to come back to school. I'm guessing not many.

I think a good amount.

As far as Turk, wasn't he like a R-SO? Maybe he didn't complete his degree.

• 2 weeks later...

good corollary of this becoming normalised could be more guys finishing their degree and getting insurance in case they don't make the league too so they won't fall off the rails and can still go on to live their best life which is objectively a societal good

• Like 1