Splash Shields: Pandemic Helmet Guards

Matts4313

On 6/6/2020 at 8:44 PM, Totty said:

This is fake.  Why would robots need helmets and pads?

Dunno. Why did the robots in terminator 2 need to (pointlessly) disguise themselves as humans?

5 hours ago, sammymvpknight said:

How the heck can you breath with them?

5 hours ago, Starless said:

How are they gonna keep these from fogging up in the winter?

These helmets are not mandatory. I would guess that we'll be seeing more players wearing visors in their helmets over top of custom made N95 masks as opposed to these suggested helmets.

Schutt is being careful not to overpromise here. The term “some protection” — not exactly a hyperbolic claim — appears twice in the press release, including in this sentence: “While the Splash Shield will offer some protection, it can only limit exposure to airborne droplets that the athlete encounters during play.” In other words, it’s not like wearing an N95, but it’s probably better than nothing.

• The Splash Shield comes in two separate pieces — one for the upper part of the facemask, like the standard visor that we’re used to seeing, and one for the lower part (click to enlarge):

If a player already has a standard visor, he can just use the lower portion of the Splash Shield.

• The splash shield is thinner and more flexible than a standard visor, and also has slots in various locations. Schutt says this allows it to fit virtually any mask on any helmet — not just Schutt helmets.

24 minutes ago, JustAnotherFan said:

Dunno. Why did the robots in terminator 2 need to (pointlessly) disguise themselves as humans?

They don't.  Exactly my point in which this is preposterous.

8 hours ago, JustAnotherFan said:

These helmets are not mandatory. I would guess that we'll be seeing more players wearing visors in their helmets over top of custom made N95 masks as opposed to these suggested helmets.

Schutt is being careful not to overpromise here. The term “some protection” — not exactly a hyperbolic claim — appears twice in the press release, including in this sentence: “While the Splash Shield will offer some protection, it can only limit exposure to airborne droplets that the athlete encounters during play.” In other words, it’s not like wearing an N95, but it’s probably better than nothing.

• The Splash Shield comes in two separate pieces — one for the upper part of the facemask, like the standard visor that we’re used to seeing, and one for the lower part (click to enlarge):

If a player already has a standard visor, he can just use the lower portion of the Splash Shield.

• The splash shield is thinner and more flexible than a standard visor, and also has slots in various locations. Schutt says this allows it to fit virtually any mask on any helmet — not just Schutt helmets.

I wear an N95 mask on a daily basis. Those suggesting that players should use N95 masks, or anything remotely close to a mask, while playing a high exertion sport has NEVER used an N95 mask more than 10 minutes at a time before. You cannot breath with an N95 mask. That is why it's so effective at preventing the virus getting through. I suppose that we can see players on the sidelines with masks, but lets be real...if it's going to be spread, its going to be spread on the field where there is a bunch of huffing and puffing going on.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Deadpulse said:

Those arent designed to filter/block air flow. They also tend to having breathing holes

585a8ec0ee14b618038b45dc?width=1100&form

This is essentially the type of mask that the majority of American's have been wearing. Cloth material that will not filter out viruses but will stop water droplets from transferring person to person.

If the NFL wants to go with some sort of splash guard tech, they certainly can, but some form of masks will also be required.

On 6/9/2020 at 8:14 AM, sammymvpknight said:

I wear an N95 mask on a daily basis. Those suggesting that players should use N95 masks, or anything remotely close to a mask, while playing a high exertion sport has NEVER used an N95 mask more than 10 minutes at a time before. You cannot breath with an N95 mask. That is why it's so effective at preventing the virus getting through. I suppose that we can see players on the sidelines with masks, but lets be real...if it's going to be spread, its going to be spread on the field where there is a bunch of huffing and puffing going on.

That's why I said custom N95 masks, or something along those lines.  Because the difference between you or I wearing them for daily use is not going to be the same as an NFL player using them during a game and using the same amount oxygen/energy.  The effects are going to be much different.  But I could very well see some players using some kind of custom mask with some of the same N95 protocols incorporated in them. 

On 6/9/2020 at 8:14 AM, sammymvpknight said:

I suppose that we can see players on the sidelines with masks, but lets be real...if it's going to be spread, its going to be spread on the field where there is a bunch of huffing and puffing going on.

I agree with this.  Hell, I'm of the opinion that it's going to spread regardless of whether they wear masks or not. But I believe most players will do it just to HOPE to prevent the spreading. 

To me, it's a bad idea to start sports this early all-around. But that's getting slightly off the subject.  

Edited by JustAnotherFan

On 6/9/2020 at 12:46 PM, TXsteeler said:

This is essentially the type of mask that the majority of American's have been wearing. Cloth material that will not filter out viruses but will stop water droplets from transferring person to person.

I hope not because that is not what that material does. 

On 6/11/2020 at 9:44 AM, Deadpulse said:

I hope not because that is not what that material does. 

On 6/11/2020 at 9:44 AM, Deadpulse said:

Cloth material that will not filter out viruses but will stop water droplets from transferring person to person.

It does do this though?

it does something for people not physically exerting themselves

soaked material would spread contact even without a cough, collisions & forcefully falling on the ground would prompt that reservoir to empty

no more pile-ons after a fumble, me thinks

It looks to me that covid precautions got suspended over the past 2 weeks.  Thousands of people crowding the streets elbow to elbow, marching and shouting...among other physical activities. 

If we can drop the charade for that, I think we can go back to behaving like normal already.

I'm really getting sick of people wearing masks anyway.