What was it like watching mid-late 2000's Peyton Manning?

LieutenantGains

Its really hard to describe. I saw plenty of Manning over his entire career. He was so good at breaking down coverages and getting rid of the ball quickly. He was a true field general and was very active in managing the game with constant line checks. I can't really say that 2013 Manning was all that different than Manning in his prime. I think he had a slightly stronger arm in his prime than 2013. He really fell off in 2015 though. He looked horrible. The thing with Manning is he never really wowed you with physical talent and his passes always looked ugly. I don't know that I would consider him the epitome of QB play. I think Montana, Brady, and Aaron Rodgers would be better examples of that. Very graceful fundamentals and footwork and they threw/throw a pretty ball. Manning always had happy feet and like I said he didn't throw pretty passes. They would frequently wobble. That's why its so hard for me to single out any individual QB as the GOAT or best ever. They all had different styles, played in different offensive systems, and had different team situations around them.  

Felt like 90% of his game was at the line of scrimmage constantly in communication with his line or wide receivers. Didn't have a cannon arm but he threw the ball everywhere on the field. Defenses had to really protect the entire field (in no small part because of his great/deep receiving options).

The most cerebral QB of all-time. Read and reacted to defenses better then any QB ive ever seen, was ridiculously good at looking off safeties, and a master of hot routes to exploit matchup. He was like have a second offensive coordinator. He's far from the most physically gifted but he was an Einstein-level genius on the field

At Tennessee coaches nicknamed him "R2D2" for his computer-like ability to process football knowledge. Bruce Arians called him "Piranha" because he devoured any and all information he gave him. And beyond his mind he would wear out his teammates, especially the wide receivers, because he had a tireless work ethic and his desire for every route to be run to perfection in terms of timing and precision. 

I grew up a Dolphins fan, and Marino is still the best pure passer to have ever played, but when I began watching Manning w/ the Colts when they were still apart of the AFC East I knew I was seeing something incredibly special. I remember watching him direct the offense like a flawless symphony conductor and thinking if there was ever going to be another QB to break Dan's records, Peyton was the one. Sure enough, he did. I had never seen a QB with such command and presnap knowledge before that, and truth is there still hasn't been another on his level, yet. If there was a route that could exploit the weakness in zone coverage he would recognize it and audible accordingly. If a blitz was coming he could sense it and signal the hot read. If there was a bubble in the defensive front he would switch to a run call or flip the direction to capitalize on it. He could read cues on defensive personnel and know their intentions whether it was to blitz, to drop, a coverage roll, etc.; it was uncanny. Manning changed the game in that aspect and was before his time as most heralded QBs in the realm of that era where gunslingers (Marino, Montana) or successful products of their system and surroundings (Montana, Young, Kelly)

To me, he's the best QB to have ever played the game so far. He could make every throw and do so with the appropriate touch (watching some QB's strong arm a short, in-breaking route is an eyesore) and incredible accuracy. And to top that all of he was a coach on and off the field. 

Archived