Miles Sanders vs Derrius Guice

Danger

Which RB do you take?  

49 members have voted

1. 1. Which RB do you take?

• Derrius Guice
    • Miles Sanders

On 6/10/2020 at 8:36 AM, SmittyBacall said:

Am I the only one who watched Miles Sanders last year and came away mostly underwhelmed? He’s obviously a fantastic athlete, but he has so much more to be desired in terms of nuance for the position. People are clamouring to him in fantasy, and I just don’t see the hype. 

For comparisons sake, it’s tough to pass on him solely because of Guice’s medical history, but I would do so reluctantly. Health withstanding, I’m taking Guice.

He's definitely nothing special at the RB position, but he also improved a great deal as the season progressed. His lowlight displays of poor vision are mostly, if not all, from the 1st half of the season (at the least the examples coming to mind for me). Good athleticism, a well rounded skillset, and durability is all you need to be a highly productive back in this league, given you are put behind a good OL.

To answer the bolded, it makes perfect sense. He finished the year on a high note despite having a lot going against him that people are projecting will not go against him next year; mainly the fact he was part of a lackluster offense. Scoring opportunities were limited and with no deep threats and an anemic passing game at times, teams could afford to have safeties closer to the box. Despite that, his numbers in his last 9 games (started in 7) scaled to a full season come out as 1,500 YFS, 5.2 Y/C, 9 TDs, 60 catches. So now you move to 2020, where you hope he improves as a player and has a better situation (especially in regards to scoring opportunities), and that is why he is getting a lot of fantasy hype. 

and the reason I didn't mention the OL in regards to fantasy production is because until a few hours ago, his OL situation (super favorable) did not change. His fantasy hype could falter a bit, rightfully so, now that one of the league's best guards will no longer be paving the way for him.

The fact that OP has been called out for a misleading poll to serve as evidence for a different point entirely motivated me to vote for Guice. 

Even without that reveal, if you asked me to pick between Sanders and Guice and you could ensure me I'm getting 16 games of either player, the answer is easily Guice for me. I'll take the player with far better vision and far better yards after contact. That's a recipe for success. 

As others have noted, Miles Sanders does not jump off the screen as a "special" player. Even in limited touches, Guice has. 

• Like 1