Titania's Top 10 Titans Of 2020

TitanLegend

8 minutes ago, TitanTuff said:

Draft Day with Kevin Costner. Realistic or the craziest goofball of a movie ever made? 

Didn’t see it, but I know that the Browns trade up to No. 1 overall and take a linebacker, so I’m gonna say realistic.

1 minute ago, Daniel said:

Didn’t see it, but I know that the Browns trade up to No. 1 overall and take a linebacker, so I’m gonna say realistic.

Realistic?  Ok, you should watch it and report back. Lol I saw it again the other day and I don't even know where to start.

4 hours ago, titansNvolsR#1 said:

Stop wasting roster spots on punters. Just pooch punt with the QB and carry an extra TE and FB!

I legitimately don't understand why kickers and punters don't just try to do both to pitch that skill set.  Is being able to kick two ways just that impossible?

On 6/11/2020 at 9:22 PM, Daniel said:

I legitimately don't understand why kickers and punters don't just try to do both to pitch that skill set.  Is being able to kick two ways just that impossible?

If it was that easy, it would have been done

Some can probably do it, but its definitely a different skill set and just wouldn't be good enough at both to do it full time.

It's like asking Mayweather to do MMA. 

Kern is our backup kicker, but we picked up a slew of bad kickers when Succop went down. Imagine if Kern could kick fgs, he'd be the top player on the team, as ranked by Titania...

Edited by ragevsuall17

On 6/11/2020 at 7:38 AM, Daniel said:

If you're looking at it as who makes the biggest difference on the team.  I was just looking at it as best player, without taking positional value into it.  If you do, then yes, he has no business near the top end.

The thing is... positional value and impact are important.  It's the reason why there's 1 punter in the HoF. Position and, as you said, making a significant difference is a factor when valuing players (and paying and drafting them). 

On 6/11/2020 at 10:22 PM, Daniel said:

1 hour ago, ragevsuall17 said:

If it was that easy, it would have been done

Some can probably do it, but its definitely a different skill set and just wouldn't be good enough at both to do it full time.

It's like asking Mayweather to do MMA. 

Kern is our backup kicker, but we picked up a slew of bad kickers when Succop went down. Imagine if Kern could kick fgs, he'd be the top player on the team, as ranked by Titania...

It happens sometimes in college. Michael Palardy was both the Vols kicker and punter sporadically throughout his freshman through junior years(was primarily kicker), then did both full time as a senior. He's been the Panthers punter since 2016. However for NFL standards, here's a reddit post from former NFL punter(current at the time of posting it) Chris Kluwe on why you don't see it happen/tried in the NFL much at all:

I feel like I have to answer this every couple of months.

You don't see hybrid kicker/punters, and never will, because of two reasons.

1. The motions interfere with each other. Kicking is more of a swiveling motion in the hips, punting is more straight on. If you mix them up, you get really ****ty results. The NFL is notoriously unforgiving of really ****ty results.

2. Even if you manage to separate the motions, and avoid getting really ****ty results, one person already tried it, Koenen I believe for Atlanta in 2008 or 2009, and promptly blew his leg out halfway through the season. In the NFL, there's no room on the roster for a backup guy to take all the reps you need for special teams practice throughout the week, and there's a LOT of reps if you're doing both. For example, our practice schedule is punt coverage, punt return, and field goals on Wednesday, kickoff, kickoff return, and field goals on Thursday, and then punt coverage and punt return again on Friday. Notice the staggering of kicking days by position, and that our kicker gets two days of rest before the game after kickoff day? That's so your leg doesn't explode into a million billion tiny shards of red hot muscle agony. It's just not physiologically possible to do that much kicking over a 21 week period (remember, we generally take all our preseason reps too) without muscles breaking down. Our special teams coaches actually keep track of how many kicks we're taking throughout the week so we don't overkick and injure something, and it's a tight balancing act between getting enough reps for the coverage guys to practice on versus us pulling a muscle as it is.

(Also, all that being said, that's not even taking all of the warmup kicks you need to stay loose on the sideline during a game into account. You've essentially tripled your workload for that game. You may only see us on the field 4-8 times, but we're not just sitting on the sideline eating popcorn (as much fun as that would be))

So, no, you won't be seeing a hybrid kicker/punter any time soon. If you do, I will give 100% odds that he is on HGH, because there's physically no way to make it through the season doing both.

Edit: And to answer the original question, that's also why you won't see a kicker/punter that plays another position. Plus, if he gets injured making a tackle/running the ball/catching a pass (which happens quite frequently in football), now what do you do? Not really a second string guy to throw in to take his place, is there?

• Like 3

14 hours ago, ragevsuall17 said:

The thing is... positional value and impact are important.  It's the reason why there's 1 punter in the HoF. Position and, as you said, making a significant difference is a factor when valuing players (and paying and drafting them). 

I agree with that completely.  But I assume that when we're doing rankings of best players, we're not doing most impactful, or it's QB at the top every time, even if your team has studs at other positions.  And rather than try to sort out how much weight to give positional value on those lists, I think it's better to throw it out the window completely.  If you have a punter that nails it into the 10 every single time, he's gonna be a generational punting talent, but still not as impactful as a pretty good RB.

I generally do the same thing in my BB for mock drafts.  Just put the player graded highest in that order, and trust yourself to know, even on the fly, that a 95 graded LT beats out a 97 graded RG.  Simplifies things.

That's all I'm saying.

• Like 1