Who is buying the #1-selling Tua jersey?

FinSting

Why is Tua's jersey the #1-selling jersey via nfl.com? Are people other than Dolphins fans buying his jersey? Such as Bama fans, Hawaiians, and Samoans?

Dolphins haven't been a nationally popular team in ages, so to me it's very surprising to see Tua's aqua jersey as the #1 seller in the entire NFL shopping experience. Also weird is that his white jersey is the #2 seller (only tracking jersey sales for prolly the past 6 weeks tho since the draft). 

My aqua Tua jersey arrived yesterday. I don't do good in solid white, gets dirty too easy...

Keep in mind that when the NFL or other websites rank jersey sales, that it's typically a somewhat brief snapshot. They're talking about this month or this offseason and that's about it. So your top competitors for jersey sales aren't necessarily going to be the most popular teams or most popular players during this time of year, it's going to be players in circumstances that incentivize new jersey sales, typically players that are new to their current team, either via draft, trade, or free agency. The top 10 in jersey sales is exclusively Tua, Burrow, Brady, and Gronk, for that reason. Brady is probably actually the top seller, since 5 variations of his jersey are in the top 10, versus 2 of Tua's. But basically, the market is just bigger for these types of players. No one owned a Tua Dolphin jersey prior to this offseason. Same with a Brady Buccaneer jersey, a Burrow Bengal jersey, etc. So all fans of those teams may be interested in buying one. While a lot of Packer fans already own Rodgers jersey, a lot of Chiefs fans already have Mahomes jerseys, etc.

If you look at jersey sales during the season, it looks a little more like what you'd probably expect. A lot of successful teams' star players (Mahomes, Brady, Jackson, Jimmy G, Kittle), some of your typical popular teams (Elliott from the Cowboys), or outspoken/well-publicized players (Mayfield from the Browns) fill the top 10. Offseason jersey sales are ruled by rookies and free agents, though.

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, Jakuvious said:

Keep in mind that when the NFL or other websites rank jersey sales, that it's typically a somewhat brief snapshot.

Yes that's why I mentioned it's only been around 6 weeks since Tua's jersey went on sale. Still...Miami players are not usually high in jersey sales. This is unusual. 

Tua is one of those guys that got so much media coverage the past couple years even the non-NFL people (shudder, are they even human?) seem to know about him. 

1 minute ago, Hunter2_1 said:

Don't know if it's considered in the same pot, but the Fins are popular in the UK. 

I would think so and that could certainly contribute.

Realistically though off season jersey sales are always dominated by big name free agents and popular rookies (Usually only RBs and QBs). This year the only rookies I recognize  the names of (don't follow college football) are Burrow and Tua. With Alabama likely (i'm guessing, more students) being more popular than LSU and Miami being more popular than Cincinnati (again an assumption based off history and population) and the other differences you've pointed out, It just makes for him to be the top seller.

2 hours ago, FinSting said:

Why is Tua's jersey the #1-selling jersey via nfl.com? Are people other than Dolphins fans buying his jersey? Such as Bama fans, Hawaiians, and Samoans?

Dolphins haven't been a nationally popular team in ages, so to me it's very surprising to see Tua's aqua jersey as the #1 seller in the entire NFL shopping experience. Also weird is that his white jersey is the #2 seller (only tracking jersey sales for prolly the past 6 weeks tho since the draft). 

My aqua Tua jersey arrived yesterday. I don't do good in solid white, gets dirty too easy...

Miami fans decided that they care about football?

Edit: Hawaiians need a new hero after mariota flamed out.

Edited by Vorsutus

3 hours ago, FinSting said:

Yes that's why I mentioned it's only been around 6 weeks since Tua's jersey went on sale. Still...Miami players are not usually high in jersey sales. This is unusual. 

Tua is one of those guys that got so much media coverage the past couple years even the non-NFL people (shudder, are they even human?) seem to know about him. 

The fact that Miami hasn't been high in jersey sales in a while is part of why the Tua jerseys are selling - there's a lot of fans who are ready to buy a new jersey.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, FinSting said:

Let me offer you this hypothetical, you're a Green Bay Packers fan and you already have an Aaron Rodgers fan.  Are you going to buy another Aaron Rodgers jersey?

• Like 1

I would imagine it would be either Tua or Burrow.  People who are big Tom fans probably are Patriots fans, so why would they want a Tampa Jersey? Also how many years is he gonna be on the team? If you're a Tampa fan and want a new jersey, then you also have two options with Gronk and Brady, so you'll probably split numbers there.

Tua v. Burrow, Burrow really didn't break out until last year right? While Tua had a few years of building up fans. I'd imagine LSU and Bama are similar in terms of fan size, maybe Bama a bit more, and there's probably a decent overlap of people being fans of both Bama and the dolphins. I'm assuming Miami is a larger market than Cincinnati too, but maybe I'm wrong.