Week 4 - Texans vs Titans!

ET80

26 minutes ago, Longhorns90 said:

Still kinda processing it all. If you told me after two absolutely anemic showings against Jacksonville and Cincinnati that we'd score 90 points over the following two weeks, I would have tilted my head, looked at you with a blank stare and wondered what drugs you were on. And yet that's exactly what just happened.

Or more importantly, what drugs O'Brien was on all offseason thinking Savage was the guy.  Suspect Watson is the type who plays better than he practices, while Savage is a great student but absolutely folds when stuff gets real.  Game slows down for Watson, spirals out of control for Savage.  Honestly, I think O'Brien has a few of the same issues Kubiak had which are good character traits, but not necessarily the best coaching traits.  Both are often TOO Loyal with a strong sense that players have to earn their way onto the field. Both tend to overthink matters to the point of analysis paralysis, but O'Brien is also an impulsive hothead so his plans get tossed out the window when the script doesn't go as planned.  He clearly regretted being impulsive in yanking Hoyer for a bum like Mallet and last year he tried to stick with "the Osweiler plan" far too long partly because management pretty much forced his hand, but also as an overcorrection. I got the sense that the "Savage plan" was part comfort with the system, part loyalty,  but also some Battle Red colored glasses that came off when the game hit full speed and the reality of this offensive line and Savage wilting under pressure became apparent. 

The Jacksonville slap in the face seems to have allowed O'Brien to dispense with protocols or management bs, and just play the best dang players and do what it takes to win this week and write a different script next week.  Bengals gameplan was clearly hyperconservative but Watson showed himself capable of executing the plan but also woke him up to a QB who can actually do good things outside the script.  Pats game struck me as O'Brien stuck halfway between trusting Watson but reverting to hyperconservative knowing how quickly the Pats punish mistakes. Pretty sure he knew holding back in the end cost him the game and this week the balls to the wall approach was apparent from jump street. 

Hopefully this sticks as I like O'Brien playing to win far better than playing not to lose, but the test is going to come when the bumps in the road come with Watson and whether he continues to press forward or revert into his conservative shell. Titans had no idea what hit them today and for all his "genius" not sure 80 year old Lebeau's strength is adapting to the wrinkle's Watson brought, but Chiefs have time & tape and alot more talent to work with.  O'Brien is going to have to walk a fine line of keeping Watson in a comfort zone with things that are working while continuing to adapt because DCs will.  We got away with repeating several plays today and they kept working, but the real magic happens when you run it like you did before knowing they will adjust and you exploit the adjustments.  It's that Patriots level 4d chess thinking I've been waiting to see from O'Brien as we never seem to get past pawn ramming.  With Watson he finally has a powerful piece that can move in all directions, now he's got to continue to unleash it, while not getting careless and failing to protect it. 

14 hours ago, Apollo Stallion said:

I was convinced Duane Brown was a 3rd rounder at best.  Joined this site in 08 when it seemed like all of Texans nation was convinced we had to draft Johnathan Stewart or Rashard Mendenhall.  When my guys Clady, Chris Williams (oops), and Albert went off the board I wasn't crushed because I thought Talib or Mike Jenkins were slam dunks at #18.  Heart sunk a bit when we traded the pick to the Ravens, but with the board still filled with T's, CBs, and RBs wasn't too panicked. Next picks were nightmare scenario with T, CB, T, RB, RB, RB, RB, CB  but was prepared to only be slightly disappointed in having to settle for Kenny Phillips or Brandon Flowers. When Brown's name got called I was convinced we burned thru our 1st round target list and advanced to the 3rd round list since we had no 2nd rounder.  Was absolutely furious especially when similar ZBS Tackle Oneil Cousins was the next tackle off all the way at the last pick of the 3rd round, AFTER we reached badly for Antwan Molden and Steve Slaton (who made me eat those words for one season at least).  Still convinced we could have taken CB or RB in the 1st and gotten him in the 3rd, but a solid case can be made for him having a better career than all 7 tackles taken before him and I believe he's the only one still in the league (Clady was the certainly the best but tore up his knee in 2015 OTAs and was essentially done so DB will probably have 4-5 extra years on him). Regardless, exceeded any of my expectations although with another positive roid test last year and this years holdout he's regressing again on my ledger. 

Brown was worth a 3rd rounder. Sure he turned into a pro bowl LT and a long term solution, but he struggled for about 2 years getting beat like a ragged doll. Thats what you expect out of a 3rd rounder, not a 1st. He was a reach, but it turned out ok for us. 

11 hours ago, Texansfan713 said:

I actually have to admit. O'Brien called a pretty damn good game. Bout time he realize the type of offense we should run with Watson. Our receivers were getting open and even Miller was open in the flats.  Our OL did a pretty damn good job giving our backs holes to run. Defense was pretty damn good.  4 INT's is something to be excited about and that was without Watt or Mercilus getting a sack. Looking forward to next week vs the Chiefs. 

Sunday will be interesting because 1/2 the plays he called sunday wont work against the Chiefs. Our Line is not good enough for Watson to run double fakes and not get sacked against the chiefs. He almost got eaten alive on some of those play action passes yesterday. He does such a good job of selling it, that it takes him too long. 

But if we keep playing the way we have the last 2 weeks, I would let Brown just sit at home and lose millions. At this point my offer to him would be that he shows up, pays the fines and plays on his current deal. 1/4 of the way into the season, I am not waiving his fines. 

15 hours ago, Apollo Stallion said:

I was convinced Duane Brown was a 3rd rounder at best.  Joined this site in 08 when it seemed like all of Texans nation was convinced we had to draft Johnathan Stewart or Rashard Mendenhall.  When my guys Clady, Chris Williams (oops), and Albert went off the board I wasn't crushed because I thought Talib or Mike Jenkins were slam dunks at #18.  Heart sunk a bit when we traded the pick to the Ravens, but with the board still filled with T's, CBs, and RBs wasn't too panicked. Next picks were nightmare scenario with T, CB, T, RB, RB, RB, RB, CB  but was prepared to only be slightly disappointed in having to settle for Kenny Phillips or Brandon Flowers. When Brown's name got called I was convinced we burned thru our 1st round target list and advanced to the 3rd round list since we had no 2nd rounder.  Was absolutely furious especially when similar ZBS Tackle Oneil Cousins was the next tackle off all the way at the last pick of the 3rd round, AFTER we reached badly for Antwan Molden and Steve Slaton (who made me eat those words for one season at least).  Still convinced we could have taken CB or RB in the 1st and gotten him in the 3rd, but a solid case can be made for him having a better career than all 7 tackles taken before him and I believe he's the only one still in the league (Clady was the certainly the best but tore up his knee in 2015 OTAs and was essentially done so DB will probably have 4-5 extra years on him). Regardless, exceeded any of my expectations although with another positive roid test last year and this years holdout he's regressing again on my ledger. 

I was one of the few that loved the pick. I don't generally go for bragging but with my big miss on Watson I need a reputation pick me up.

Frankly he's already done enough to justify a 1st round pick so whatever happens from here out doesn't change that for me.

Texans RB Tyler Ervin tore his patellar tendon Week 4 and is done for the season.

He is undergoing surgery on Monday. It is a devastating injury, but we have seen players return to full health following a patellar tendon rupture in recent years. Still, Ervin will be up against it to be ready for training camp next year.

per rotoworld

4 hours ago, Jaytrajik said:

Didn't care for him in the return game and IMO a middling RB. I'm sure this is a blessing in disguise because now we can see Foreman mature into the starter he'll become. 

I actually see it as a loss - I thought he was developing into a nice slot WR. Quick of the line, found the gap in coverage, caught the ball well.

I honestly wanted him to start wearing that "RB/WR" designation at the least. 

Archived