Random stat: Julio Jones has the 3rd least TD receptions for WRs with at least 700 receptions

Malik

26 minutes ago, Malik said:

That's disrespectful. I'm comparing him to over great WRs. I'd much rather Devante Adams in 2018 who had 1386 yards and 13 touchdowns over Julio who had 1677 and 8TDs. I'll take 300 less yards for 5 more touchdowns.

I'd say that's a more apt comparison. Guys like Adams, Mike Evans, Kenny Golliday - might not draw AS much attention or get as many yards, but are still outpacing Julio in TDs.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Malik said:

That's disrespectful. I'm comparing him to over great WRs. I'd much rather Devante Adams in 2018 who had 1386 yards and 13 touchdowns over Julio who had 1677 and 8TDs. I'll take 300 less yards for 5 more touchdowns.

Apologies then you said "less physically gifted". Wasn't aware you were talking about swapping out Top 5 type WR's with one another or "other" legit #1 Studs as a replacement. Gotcha.

Edited by Nabbs4u

4 hours ago, ET80 said:

It's interesting to note that both Julio and AJ played in a variant of a Kyle Shanahan WCO - Shanahan was the OC for both of them at their respective peaks.

Is this an ominous sign for Deebo Samuel?

I hope.  If Deebo can get even near the level of those two, I'll be ecstatic.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, jyod21 said:

I hope.  If Deebo can get even near the level of those two, I'll be ecstatic.

I'll admit, I'm probably overreaching on it. But, I like Deebo. I think he can be a top 10 WR.

4 hours ago, ET80 said:

Is this an ominous sign for Deebo Samuel?

Hard to say. I don't think Deebo is an elite number one type receiver, nor is he particularly big or twitchy, so on the surface, he honestly wouldn't seem like a red zone monster. Kittle should probably be number 1 in that regard, and then the running backs, and honestly, out of the receivers, Kendrick Bourne the last two years has been very clearly the most comfortable receiver in the red zone. 

15 hours ago, Malik said:

5'9" slot receiver Wes Welker and Eric Moulds are the only WRs with less. They have 50 and 49 respectively. There are a total of 42 WRs in NFL history that meet this threshold and former fellow Falcons WR Roddy White had 6 more touchdowns on 11 more receptions while playing in mostly the same conditions minus Matt Ryan for 3 seasons.

Not a Julio Jones hate thread it's just an amazing and bizarre stat to me. Julio Jones is one of the most athletically gifted WRs ever. He's only been injured once. He plays at least 11 games every season in a dome/outside in warm weather. He has a great QB. He's had several other receiving options to take some pressure off.

He still can't score touchdowns. Conversely he dwarfs his peers with a 9.68 receiving yards per target. Marques Colston is 2nd with 8.88. Nearly a whole yard less. I'm struggling to think of another as gifted as Julio that similarly struggles in an important era of their game.

If 700 is an arbitrary threshold, I put up the link for 675. Only Gary Clark and Terance Mathis barely missed and they both scored more TDs than him still

http://pfref.com/tiny/h1jnU

Touchdowns are a functions of the offense. NOT a function of the player. Matt Ryan doesn't try to force feed Julio in the red zone and instead finds the open man. Like a QB who is doing his job right.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Hunter2_1 said:

I was about to say he's predominately a field stretching, long-ranged type reciever - and was going to do some sort of analogy with a haulage truck being great everywhere except parking, but then that would be unfair to Julio's other skills like jumping, boxing DBs out, change of direction etc. All skills that you'd think would be useful in the RZ and when you're knocking on the door from short range.

Is it something to do with play-calling then?

Yes. Combination of play-calling and how teams have rolled coverages his way. The Falcons also use this to their advantage in the red zone where they still see 6-7 man boxes and just run it sometimes.

3 hours ago, ET80 said:

I'd say that's a more apt comparison. Guys like Adams, Mike Evans, Kenny Golliday - might not draw AS much attention or get as many yards, but are still outpacing Julio in TDs.

I think touchdowns are more of a team stat. Julio brings the Falcons to the red zone often. Then he draws a double team or forces a 7-man box in a normally 8 man situation and Ryan will check to a run. How many years have the Falcons had 10+ red zone rushing TDs during Julio's career? (The answer is 7 of his 9 years).

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Malik said:

Antonio Brown was the obvious one before he went AWOL. DeAndre Hopkins is another. A healthy Odell. Tyreek Hill.

Well damn, I mean...those are all REALLY talented dudes.

Peak AB I'd probably put on the same exact tier as peak Julio.

Both Nuk and OBJ are amazing so this isn't at all meant to be a slight, but I'd give the edge to peak Julio.

Hill really only has one real crown jewel of a season, but he's got insane talent, and now he's got a guy who will probably be a surefire Hall of Famer throwing him the ball for the next who-knows-how-many years. Jury's out, but I still gotta feel like, in a vacuum, I'd take Jones.

6 hours ago, Malik said:

I love Davante, I really do. He's a great receiver. But peak Julio Jones is easily better.

10 hours ago, Nabbs4u said:

Apologies then you said "less physically gifted". Wasn't aware you were talking about swapping out Top 5 type WR's with one another or "other" legit #1 Studs as a replacement. Gotcha.

I think extremely high of him of Julio. That's why his lack of TDs is bizarre to me.

7 hours ago, scar988 said:

Touchdowns are a functions of the offense. NOT a function of the player. Matt Ryan doesn't try to force feed Julio in the red zone and instead finds the open man. Like a QB who is doing his job right.

I mean I guess. He has the least TDs ever for WRs of his class. You can make the same sort of arguments about any number of them. Some have had better QBs. Some have had worse. Some have had years in great offenses with a plethora of weapons. Some have been the only option. He still has the least.

9 hours ago, scar988 said:

I think touchdowns are more of a team stat. Julio brings the Falcons to the red zone often. Then he draws a double team or forces a 7-man box in a normally 8 man situation and Ryan will check to a run. How many years have the Falcons had 10+ red zone rushing TDs during Julio's career? (The answer is 7 of his 9 years).

This is exactly what I’m thinking every time people diss Julio because of his TD number. It’s textbook using stats rather than play to judge a player. Of course Julio could get more TD’s - what in his actual play and ability are actual predications that he can’t? But why force it to him when he’s double covered and another guy is left open? 

A ton of Michael Thomas' TDs are on shield screens and barely-legal rubs, not that he scores a ton of TDs.

My point is, just about anyone could do it. For a lot of the guys scoring TDs more often than Julio, it is more about usage and play-calling than anything.

Maybe Julio just sucks though? Idk. :P

Edited by Dome

2 hours ago, Duluther said:

This is exactly what I’m thinking every time people diss Julio because of his TD number. It’s textbook using stats rather than play to judge a player. Of course Julio could get more TD’s - what in his actual play and ability are actual predications that he can’t? But why force it to him when he’s double covered and another guy is left open? 

Do you think Julio Jones is the only great WR in the history of the NFL that gets double covered? He isn't. It isn't like he consistently on the most successful offensives in the history of the NFL where you could make the argument that the playstyle is more beneficial to his team winning. It's literally everyone. He's not middle of the road. 

• Like 2