Colin Kaepernick on the Patriots: Is he a better option than Jarrett Stidham?

DoleINGout

3 hours ago, Malik said:

Even regardless of that, not every back up in the NFL even has a similar playstyle as the QB starting. Ryan Fitzpatrick has been a journeyman back-up his entire career and he is a throwback gunslinger QB. How many QBs has he been behind that play similar to him? I would say the vast majority don't. Yet despite his inefficiency and constantly having terrible games he'll probably stay in the NFL until he's 40.

this is a good take.

i've said for a while now i wish the steelers would sign him as their backup, he would do wonders for us if ben goes down again and could work as a bridge after ben retires. i would take him eleven times from ten here.

Tricky topic, its important to respect all views. My personal take is that prior to kneeling Colin was a backup QB and so thats what he probably is now (if he came back into the league). Thats an important point as I see it because rightly or wrongly Colin comes with a load of hoopla that teams have just not wanted to deal with. They might force themselves to deal with it if he was a Russell Wilson caliber player but not for a backup. To be fair, I can understand that too, managing 55 young, rich guys and keeping their focus all season is one major task in itself. While people want to see CK on a team, as a coach looking to be successful your really wanting as few distractions as possible.  Its never been about Colin's football ability and how he compares to other backups, its about the distraction that came with him "in my personal opinion". The Steelers definitely need a better backup plan however and maybe in the current climate teams will be more willing to look his way.

I dont thk we can say he is a better option than Stidham because we dont yet know what Stidham is exactly. While the Pats never give much away, the general consensus that I have heard from various media sources is that the Pats quite like him, so he could be anything at this stage.

8 hours ago, KingOfTheDot said:

How would you know if Kaepernick is good in the film room?

You must have missed the "maybe" part. 

Point is that just because you're a borderline (that's being generous) starting quality QB in this league, doesn't necessarily mean you're a good backup.  Some QBs go from being starters straight to unemployed.  Some QBs come into the league as backups and make a career out of it.  There is a reason for both.

Edited by Gmen

23 hours ago, BleedTheClock said:

Lol no. 

Kaep hasn’t played football in way too long. Plus, he wasn’t good to begin with. He was essentially a Blake Bortles-type QB BEFORE he didn’t play for several years. 

Lmao look at this guy

59 minutes ago, Gmen said:

You must have missed the "maybe" part. 

Point is that just because you're a borderline (that's being generous) starting quality QB in this league, doesn't necessarily mean you're a good backup.  Some QBs go from being starters straight to unemployed.  Some QBs come into the league as backups and make a career out of it.  There is a reason for both.

I asked how would you know if he was good in the film room?

1 hour ago, AntonChigurh said:

Lmao look at this guy

...what does this mean? Sorry I don’t think your idol is worth a damn as a football player. He’s garbage. That’s why he’s not on an NFL roster. 

You really think if it were Mahomes or Lamar Jackson that did this, they would also be out of the NFL? 

Ridiculous. 

3 minutes ago, BleedTheClock said:

...what does this mean? Sorry I don’t think your idol is worth a damn as a football player. He’s garbage. That’s why he’s not on an NFL roster. 

You really think if it were Mahomes or Lamar Jackson that did this, they would also be out of the NFL? 

Ridiculous. 

Yes they would be, those white supremacists only capitulated because the tide was too much. 

But one lone guy, they are getting that dude out of there

Kaep is not on a NFL roster because white supremacists run a lot of these teams and the last thing they need is some out spoken black man 

2 minutes ago, AntonChigurh said:

Yes they would be, those white supremacists only capitulated because the tide was too much. 

Kaep is not on a NFL roster because white supremacists run a lot of these teams and the last thing they need is some out spoken black man 

AAAAAAAAAAAAANDDD /thread

This is why we can't have nice things

• Like 6

11 hours ago, Shady Slim said:

what's important to note about most people, me included, who are on team "colin kaepernick should be in the nfl rn", is that the argument isn't kaep would come on to a team and instantly make them a world beating contender with mvp level play from the shotgun, rather, out of the (minimum) 64 quarterbacks who have a job he's unequivocally better than at least 40 odd of them and could help a team to win games, and even put a defensive team with a ****ty signalcaller (such as the bears 2018) up over the top maybe

i used to be firmly on the side of "he is a good enough player to start in the nfl but i'd understand why teams would be hesitant to sign him given they'd have to completely revamp their offensive system", and then i saw what john harbaugh did with the ravens. and if you say not every coach is john harbaugh, true, then look at what o'brien did with the texans for deshaun watson. it is very possible to adapt your system to a player whose skillset isn't set as a pocket passer.

He may be better than a lot of the backups, but it's not worth the media circus that will come to town.

Edited by $andtrap

9 minutes ago, $andtrap said:

He may be better than a lot of the backups, but it's not worth the media circus that will come to town.

How much of a media circus was there in 2016 and how big of a "distraction" was he to the team? 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, AntonChigurh said:

We do not discuss race.

• Like 5