Casey: Titans threw me away like a piece of trash

TitanLegend

Jurrell Casey said Monday the way the Titans traded him to the Broncos after nine seasons in Tennessee was equivalent to throwing him away "like a piece of trash."

"The part that is so crazy is that you give so much to them. Especially when you come up on free agency and have opportunities to go somewhere else. Especially the way it was going when we were there, 2-14, 3-13," Casey said to Jason McCourty. "Those were some rough times. When you're a loyal guy and you feel like things are going in the right direction and you're that centerpiece, you got no choice but to fight it through. My mindset was to stick it out and things would get better.

"For us to get to that point to get better and to be a main focus of that and then you just throw me away to the trash like I wasn't a main block of that ... Coming off an injury the year before and playing the whole season for ya'll. No complaints, I did everything you wanted me to do and you throw me like a piece of trash. At the end of the day, none of these businesses are loyal."

"It was a blow to the heart because I would have thought that one of them would have hit me up," Casey said. "The part that hurt me the most was that I didn't get a call until like 30 seconds before the trade went down. For three or four days I had some moments where I had to tell the wife to give me a minute and I had a lot of tears come out of there."

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/29282199/broncos-jurrell-casey-says-titans-discarded-trash

The fact that we did this to him makes me seriously pissed off at Robinson and Vrabel.

• Like 2

Ya my instincts say they could have and should have done a little better at communicating with Casey before the trade 

Unfortunately I’ve been told my whole life that it’s a business so I get it a little bit

But the man was here his whole career, played his butt off, resigned

He was definitely someone they should have reached out too and explained the situation 

But again it’s a business so I get it I guess 

When a team is on the ascend and almost to the prize and you have players like Casey on the team, I think you should find a way to keep them. Ex: Bettis with Steelers.

But that is a two way street. 

I still am mad about the trade because we haven't seen a legit replacement for him. 

• Like 1

Just now, Mesa_Titan said:

The team that paid me millions of dollars to play a game traded me away like a piece of trash to make millions of dollars to play a game somewhere else. I love Casey, but man football players are some entitled whiny babies. 

It's people like you that think everything is always about money who have the point fly entirely over their head.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, KingTitan said:

When a team is on the ascend and almost to the prize and you have players like Casey on the team, I think you should find a way to keep them. Ex: Bettis with Steelers.

But that is a two way street. 

I still am mad about the trade because we haven't seen a legit replacement for him. 

Isnt Simmons his replacement?

There's no other way to put it: it sucks losing Casey.

Yeah he was set to maybe make "too" much, yeah it's a business. You just hope these break-ups could be a bit more mutual, especially when we're talking about a Titan legend like Casey.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Titans fan 617 said:

Simmons is undervalued around here. This fact is shown in Titania top ten list. Simmons didn't even crack the top ten.  Blows my mind. He is the new Casey. Imagine what an entire offseason of healing will bring. 

2 minutes ago, TitanTuff said:

Simmons is undervalued around here. This fact is shown in Titania top ten list. Simmons didn't even crack the top ten.  Blows my mind. He is the new Casey. Imagine what an entire offseason of healing will bring. 

It’s tough to vote a guy who hasn’t done it yet 

But he is Casey’s replacement and we will hopefully see a better version of what Casey has been the last few years

Casey wasn’t bad but we just need more of an impact from someone on the Line and Simmons could be that guy 

Casey will definitely go down as one of the greats in Titans history for sure 

1 hour ago, Titans fan 617 said:

I guess you right.

Just seems like they could have found a way to keep him. If Woodyard finished out then I think Casey should have too. We are better (currently constructed) with him than without.

But he shouldn't be too mad. They never slashed his money. Paid him when it was time and sent him to a place that would still pay his current contract. 

40 minutes ago, Titans fan 617 said:

It’s tough to vote a guy who hasn’t done it yet 

But he is Casey’s replacement and we will hopefully see a better version of what Casey has been the last few years

Agreed.  Simmons showed a lot of promise, but you cannot convince me that he was legitimately one of the 10 best players over the course of the season.  I fully expect him to be next year, but he hasn't arrived yet.

I think it was pretty universal that Titans fans were pissed that Casey got traded away for nothing.  Knowing that they didn't even talk to him about it makes it worse.  I mean, not even talk of restructuring?  I'd certainly feel better about this team with Casey still on it.  We'd have a ridiculous front 7.

29 minutes ago, Daniel said:

Agreed.  Simmons showed a lot of promise, but you cannot convince me that he was legitimately one of the 10 best players over the course of the season.  I fully expect him to be next year, but he hasn't arrived yet.

I think it was pretty universal that Titans fans were pissed that Casey got traded away for nothing.  Knowing that they didn't even talk to him about it makes it worse.  I mean, not even talk of restructuring?  I'd certainly feel better about this team with Casey still on it.  We'd have a ridiculous front 7.

I wasn’t mad at what they traded him away for because I got why they did it, I mean I wish they did better than a 7th but I’m not mad they traded him, I was surprised because I just never expected it but not mad

There still could be a shoe to drop in that the Titans still sign Clowney

I would like the offseason a lot better with Clowney and Beasley coming in

11 minutes ago, Titans fan 617 said:

There still could be a shoe to drop in that the Titans still sign Clowney

I would like the offseason a lot better with Clowney and Beasley coming in

I assume we're getting Clowney.  Even so, I think it's not for sure we'll be better overall.  Beasley is a great addition, and if Landry doesn't improve next season, he probably walks on as our best pass rusher.  Having two solid guys to start and some decent depth behind them isn't the worst place to be in.  Especially if they put any effort into renegotiating Casey's contract instead.

I get that it's a business, but if you (collectively, not you, Titans fan 617) think that it's OK for teams to do that because it's a business, you also have to be OK with players being absolute mercenaries with their contracts and holding out for more money.