Too much NFC East in Primetime

DigInBoys

I hear you. Seems like those teams are on primetime every week, and I'm not a big fan of any of them. The Cowboys and Redskins are okay, I'm indifferent to the Eagles, and I've never liked the Giants at all. The best thing I can say about the NFC East is that the notorious inconsistency of its teams makes them somewhat exciting, and sometimes they help us out by beating someone else in the NFC North.

Not sure why everyone keeps referring to ratings... pretty sure op understands, like we all do, why this is the NFCE gets a disproportionately huge amount of prime time games. Acceptance of this fact can coexist with a sense of dissatisfaction about watching the same few teams each week. I too have always been dissatisfied with the amount of NFCE Primetime games, and because of this, it takes a reeeeeally good one for me to watch them.

That said, the OP's post was less about the NFCE and more of a LA (and AFCW/NFCW to a lesser extent) circle jerk. More NFC West prime time games is clearly NOT what we need to replace a few of the NFCE prime time games.

On 9/28/2017 at 12:02 AM, DigInBoys said:

It seems like every Sunday and Monday night game features either a matchup between NFC East teams or at least one NFC East team.

I know the NFC East has huge markets, but there are plenty of other huge markets or teams with nationwide fanbases.

Part of the reason I'm glad LA has teams now.

The NFC West now features the 2nd biggest market, then a top 5 market(SF) and two other markets which are trending towards being top 10. Putting it roughly on par with the NFC East.

In the AFC West now you have an LA team competing with huge national teams like the Raiders and Broncos.

So maybe we will start to see more variety in primetime with the LA teams.

Just wondering if this irritates anyone else.

It isn't just about markets in a traditional sense, though.  Los Angeles may technically be a larger market than Dallas, but for the purposes of the NFL, it's not.  The Cowboys have so much history and traditional, they have built an enormous fanbase and following throughout the entire country.  The Eagles, Giants, and Redskins all have storied traditions as well.  Plus, that division is pretty competitive on a year-to-year basis.

Overall, I do agree and am tired of watching NFC East teams, but I don't see it changing anytime soon.  The Chargers and Rams aren't going to peak the interest of most viewers around the country, unless they start consistently winning - The Rams may be on that path.

On 9/28/2017 at 2:50 AM, Malik said:

There are actual interesting teams and match ups in addition to being in big markets. No one is trying to watch the NY Jets, LA Chargers, Chicago Bears, 49ers, or Houston Texans despite all being in the top 10 biggest markets.

That would be a fair argument if not for the fact that the only NFC East Team that truly looks competitive is the Cowboys and even then they've looked vulnerable this year. Last year it was fine because the division was competitive. But for the better part of the last 6 years it's been an average at best division that certainly has not earned the right to play so many primetime games on merit but instead simply because those fanbases are in the top 5 markets and so ratings will be up. But ratings will be better for good fooball!

East coast bias.

NY is the largest market 

Nfc east is 3 of the oldest established teams  and dallas. Dallas not as old but them and Giants have the most playoff appearances  outright or relatively to most others. 

Like you said, major markets.

The conference that beat buffalo 4 years in a row lol

Giants,Dallas,Redskins  have the most prominent dynasties in the SB era and  even more winning  before that.

Redskins do a lot of winning over their history but their primetime record isn't that good over all.

Oldest teams- in order , in a 75th anniversary  book- Cardinals,Bears,Packers,Giants,Lions,Redskins, Eagles,Steelers,Rams,Browns,Niners,Colts,Dallas

8 hours ago, RuralBill said:

That said, the OP's post was less about the NFCE and more of a LA (and AFCW/NFCW to a lesser extent) circle jerk. More NFC West prime time games is clearly NOT what we need to replace a few of the NFCE prime time games.

No, it wasn't. I just used them as an example of how we might get a more balanced primetime schedule with more variety now that there is another division(NFC West) that is comparable to the NFC East in market sizes.

I'd much rather see a bit more Falcons(huge market), Pittsburgh(huge national following) , Panthers etc. over average NFC East teams in a given year.

7 hours ago, showtime said:

It isn't just about markets in a traditional sense, though.  Los Angeles may technically be a larger market than Dallas, but for the purposes of the NFL, it's not.  The Cowboys have so much history and traditional, they have built an enormous fanbase and following throughout the entire country.  The Eagles, Giants, and Redskins all have storied traditions as well.  Plus, that division is pretty competitive on a year-to-year basis.

Overall, I do agree and am tired of watching NFC East teams, but I don't see it changing anytime soon.  The Chargers and Rams aren't going to peak the interest of most viewers around the country, unless they start consistently winning - The Rams may be on that path.

Oh I totally get what you're saying about the Cowboys(hence why I mentioned national followings).

I just see way too many primetime games over the years with irrelevant or uninteresting NFC East teams.

Even when the NFCE is terrible, they shove them down our throat on primetime. Especially the Cowboys. Sure they should get the majority. But it's like every other week which is absurd. 

Seattle, Oakland, New England, Kansas City, Denver, Pittsburgh, Green Bay all solid football teams with huge frickin fanbases (minus maybe KC). Not to mention both L.A. teams are on the rise. 

Share the primetime games a little more evenly. Anytime I see NFCE on primetime I usually don't wanna watch, especially interdivisional, because it's so so frequent. 

As a long-time, devout New York Giants' fan, I would propose a realignment of the divisions to correct this issue:

1) The Prime-Time Division

New York Giants

Dallas

Washington

Philadelphia

2) The Poor Relations

All Them Other Guys

-In this way, fans could enjoy at least 8 games featuring The New York Giants, with their embarrassing offense, their league-worst running game,

their chaotic "blocking", their terrified quarterback, and the antics of Odell Beckham.

I'm tellin' ya, it doesn't get any better than that!!

Archived