Where do you draw the line?

Warhorse

Ok, so here is the drill. Where do you draw the line? Do you have a line? Can you put your fandom to a standard that cannot be crossed?

Question 1 - Is there a player, past or present, that if added to your team, that you would renounce the following of your team?

Question 2 - Is there a coach, past or present, that if added to your team, that you would renounce the following of your team?

Question 3 - Sometimes we have to move geographically, to another town which has a different team than you follow. You can't afford to travel to watch your former team. Is there a team out there that you simply could not.....ever.....follow, even if they were in your back yard and a friend or family member offered to share seats with you for free?

I think this depends on your connection to the team. If you support the local franchise its going to take a lot more to ditch your team. Thats never been the case for me so I typically follow my money each season but bad ownership or coaching (more so than players) are far more likely to get up my nose. To support a team is to support its coaching and ownership so if its bad at the top thats a big problem.

1. No current players. I'd struggle to cheer for Vick though.

2. Nope

3. I wouldn't renounce the following of my team if I moved, even if it meant I could never watch them at the stadium again. One team for life. If I were teamless and answered this question, I don't think there's a team I'd fundamentally rule out, no.

Edited by Hunter2_1

7 hours ago, Warhorse said:

Ok, so here is the drill. Where do you draw the line? Do you have a line? Can you put your fandom to a standard that cannot be crossed?

Question 1 - Is there a player, past or present, that if added to your team, that you would renounce the following of your team?

Question 2 - Is there a coach, past or present, that if added to your team, that you would renounce the following of your team?

Question 3 - Sometimes we have to move geographically, to another town which has a different team than you follow. You can't afford to travel to watch your former team. Is there a team out there that you simply could not.....ever.....follow, even if they were in your back yard and a friend or family member offered to share seats with you for free?

1) Nope.

2) Nope.

3) New Orleans Satans.

• Like 1

1. No. I would never leave a team because of a player either added or removed. Most will be here and gone in four years.

2. No. Though I’d entertain leaving a team if they got rid of a very good coach because, despite success, has not made a SB in his short time span. I don’t mind dry spells due to cap struggles, injuries, etc. But I’m not about to follow a team that willingly - and backed by fans - went from being a high achieving team to the Cleveland Browns one-and-done coaching carousel.

3. New Orleans Saints. Shady from top to bottom.

Edited by Duluther

7 hours ago, Warhorse said:

Q1 - Tom Brady, thank god we gave Ryan Tannehill a huge contract and passed on that jerk.

Q2 - Bill Belichick, the stain of being a cheater is something I'd never want associated with my franchise, Lombardi trophies be damned.

Q3 - Jacksonville Jaguars, just couldn't do it even if they moved someplace else and I moved there too. Houston comes close, "Texans" pretty much means you have to be living / tied to Texas to support them, but I suppose if I moved to Houston that would make it sense. Having grown up in Charlotte (Panthers) and moved to Arizona (Cardinals), I don't mind the success of the local team, but I root for the Titans despite never living in Tennessee and having to rely on bars / online streams to watch non-prime time games. Really glad I was able to see the Titans game in Arizona a couple years back, even though we lost, it was still a great experience.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Warhorse said:

1. Brady.  I was sincerely debating this during the offseason as a Titans fan.

2. I'm repeating RuskieTitan, and mostly for the same reasons, but Belichick.  I already have problems with some of the things that Robinson and Vrabel have borrowed from that organization, so yeah.

3. There are two, the Pats and the Colts.  Hate em both, but Colts are the ones in first place there.  Hell, they even turned me against Peyton for a decade plus.

58 minutes ago, August4th said:

only way I stop cheering for the steelers is if they move and completely did a rebrand(like Browns becoming the Ravens or Oilers to Titans)

Yeah, if the Titans moved elsewhere, it would drastically cut my loyalty.  If Nashville got a new team, I'd probably jump ship to them.  If not, it'd probably depend on the current landscape.  If it was right now, the team most likely to get my fanship would either be the Panthers (close team, I liked Cam), the Broncos (because Casey and JuWaun James), or the Eagles (mother in law and lots of family friends live in Philly, also Derek Barnett).

13 minutes ago, BleedTheClock said:

I wouldn’t renounce my team, but I don’t want any animal abusers or woman beaters on my team. I would be mad if the Browns signed Ray Rice or Vick, but I wouldn’t turn in my fan card. 

I did not like Jeffery Simmons as a pick for one of these reasons.  His had exigent circumstances, but it was still really problematic, and I don't know if he'll ever be one of my favorite players.

Of course, if it were the kicker just drafted by the Pats, or someone who shared the same problems he has that we can't talk about, **** them forever.

18 minutes ago, RuskieTitan said:

Also for the above, Colts fans are as rare as unicorns, so I don't really think anyone ever roots for them anyways - and if they do, they usually have another 'real' team they root for.

Colts fans are rare?  Since when?

Oh, yeah, since they stopped winning the division every single year.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, RuskieTitan said:

Also for the above, Colts fans are as rare as unicorns, so I don't really think anyone ever roots for them anyways - and if they do, they usually have another 'real' team they root for.

6 minutes ago, Daniel said:

Colts fans are rare?  Since when?

Oh, yeah, since they stopped winning the division every single year.

I think every fan base ebbs and flows with success, because there is always a certain amount of fans who try to attach themselves to a winner. They are not fans of the team, but fans of winning first. However, I think that the number of fans and how that appears to other fan bases, is affected by what I call the insecure police.  These are fans who roam the internet, looking for comment sections of articles, chat rooms, and of course message boards of other teams...solely so they can smack down any and all disrespect levied at their beloved team.  

Colts fan have a few of those as all teams do, but I honestly think they have a far lesser percentage, and so it appears to other fans that they are, as you said, "Rare as unicorns". Maybe it is the persona of the Colts that is less attractive to those aggressive kind of fans.  

Honestly, I have never seen a fan base with more of these types of fans than the Patriots. Although I see that number receding as we speak. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Warhorse said:

I think every fan base ebbs and flows with success, because there is always a certain amount of fans who try to attach themselves to a winner. They are not fans of the team, but fans of winning first. However, I think that the number of fans and how that appears to other fan bases, is affected by what I call the insecure police.  These are fans who roam the internet, looking for comment sections of articles, chat rooms, and of course message boards of other teams...solely so they can smack down any and all disrespect levied at their beloved team.  

Colts fan have a few of those as all teams do, but I honestly think they have a far lesser percentage, and so it appears to other fans that they are, as you said, "Rare as unicorns". Maybe it is the persona of the Colts that is less attractive to those aggressive kind of fans.  

Honestly, I have never seen a fan base with more of these types of fans than the Patriots. Although I see that number receding as we speak. 

Yeah, it's this.  It's the same reason there were so many Cowboys fans in the 90s and so many Pats fans from nowhere near New England now.  Bandwagoners are one of the prices that teams pay when they're consistently good for a long time.  And yes, they're the worst kind of fan.

• Like 1

1 - As other's said, Brady was the first to come to mind. I even announced that I would end my fandom after decades if they signed him. I meant it. However, I would have to give the nod to Tyreek Hill. Some lines you cross, and there should not be a second chance. 

2. Gregg Williams. Nuff said.

3. Seahawks. I have watched games in Seattle, Oakland, Candlestick, Indy, and Chicago. Never, have I been treated worse than in Seattle. Me and my family were verbally abused, threatened, and it even happened in front of their police in the exit tunnels and they did nothing. My 9 year old son was crying in fear and they did not stop. It was horrific, and ridiculously over the top. The 12th fan is sickening.

• Like 2

If Buffalo had moved away after Ralph Wilson died it would have been hard for me to keep cheering for them. Especially if they went to Toronto.

There have been players and coaches added in the past that I didn’t like or couldn’t understand the reasoning, but in those situations I just hoped for the best and expected the worst.