Where do you draw the line?

Warhorse

5 minutes ago, Hunter2_1 said:

Why you putting Hill and Ben with Tom? 

Is there some court order I've overlooked.

Because Ben is a rapist and Hill is a child abuser?  Is this not common knowledge?

6 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

Bonus points:

One of my friends and coworkers graduated from Miami/Oxford in 2004. She went out with him once, got really bad vibes from him, and then turned him down again after date #1...and then she was proven in the court of public opinion to have been correct on a lot of the rest.

@LETSGOBROWNIES did I ever tell you about that/this?

Dang.  Bullet dodged.

I mean, also potentially a huge lawsuit payout too, but still.

1 minute ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I had a girlfriend years ago (hard to believe, I know) and her brother went to school with him at Miami, was at a number of parties with him, etc.

Stereotypical “big man on campus” jackassery according to him.  Conceited, gropey, etc.

bigben1.jpg?w=1000&h=600&crop=1

Yikes. Hope she (they) recovered :( 

• Like 1

I have separate "sports hate" categories.

For example: TB12 is in my "I appreciate their greatness, but I'm tired of them and their fans" general sports hate/figure category, as was MJ at the end of the Bulls dynasty, Tiger Woods in the early 2000s, the Red Sox/Yankees in the mid 90's through the present, etc.

My "sports hate" because they are lousy people usually impacts my ability to see them succeed in anything in general. Watching Ray Lewis, after what he was involved in, win 2 Super Bowls, let alone on a team I despise, was AWFUL. The same with Ben.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Daniel said:

Ah.  That was in my first post.

Combination of screw the Pats in general and cheating.

Kind of ironic considering Tennessee for a lot of their history were one of the dirtiest teams in the league.

3 hours ago, $andtrap said:

Kind of ironic considering Tennessee for a lot of their history were one of the dirtiest teams in the league.

If the Chargers ever hired Jeff Fisher. I'd stop being a fan. See 2007 Chargers at Titans and Fisher calling for a cheap-shot on Merriman. Who he thought took out a dirty hit on Vince Young, when in reality he only bumped into him and Young milked it for the cameras. There is also Cortland Finnegan who was the most annoying CB ever with his dirty hits. Haynesworth and etc. 

Question 1 -  Elisha Manning. 

Question 2 - Jeff Fisher and rehiring Norv Turner again would make me choose a new team to follow.

Question 3 -  The Raiders. Always the Raiders

• Like 1

If OJ Simpson was cloned, came from another universe, from the past, etc. as a 23 year old player who hadn't done anything vicious yet I do wonder if I'd be able to feel comfortable with him as a member of the 49ers if he were added. In particular, if he was told about the monster he had become later in his life from his "alternate" self. Would he then make sure he would never hurt anyone? Or would he be fated to be the person he is anyway? 

If there's one thing I've realized about my sports fandom, is that there isn't much I'm consciously in control of regarding it. I can't claim that if xyz happens in the future, I will RENOUNCE my fandom. Even if I try, it's kinda beyond my control. I can boycott watching games or purchasing tickets or purchasing team merch, but in my head I still might still like them. That said, even if I say "nothing will ever change how I feel!", who knows, maybe over time I just start to care less and less and eventually don't find myself rooting for them.

There are plenty of coaching hires that I wouldn't like, but none pop out as something I'd really flip my crap over. If there's a coach who has a history of doing awful things, like off the field, then yeah I wouldn't want to hire them.

Players are tough. I mostly try to ignore the general jackassery like recreational drugs. Things get a little worse when stuff like DUIs or illegal possession of firearms come up. DUIs are obviously incredibly stupid and dangerous, but as I can accept it as a one-time accident. Illegal firearms, I can deal with it being a single hand gun, but if it's a small collection of guns, including assault rifles, I think that's a sign of BAD news (think Tank Johnson). But where I really draw the line is with physical and/or sexual assault. Domestic abuse, child abuse, sexual assault allegations, etc.

Once that latter category is reached, I would want my team to cut the player, or not sign the player, whatever the case may be. If the player remains on the team, I would absolutely want them to personally fail as much as possible, while at the same time knowing I'm still going to be happy if my team ultimately wins (as stated above, I can't turn that off or on). I would still absolutely relish if that player sucks, and would just want them off my team ASAP.

As far as the third question, I did move across the country. Within a couple years I found myself rooting for the local basketball, baseball, and hockey team, while still rooting for all Wisconsin teams. Never quite latched onto the Patriots, but it wasn't on purpose or a conscious thing. I don't hate them either, and in certain situations or matchups, will root for them.

I can't imagine ever becoming a Vikings or Bears fan. Or Lions I guess but who cares about them. I dunno, it would be really weird if I ever started being a fan of another football team.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, $andtrap said:

Have you ever seen a raven, steelers, or saints (old saints not now)game? Outside of a couple of guys over the last 20 years the titans are not even covered in grass stains. Raiders and bengals have a bone 2 pick with you as well.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Classic said:

If the Chargers ever hired Jeff Fisher. I'd stop being a fan. See 2007 Chargers at Titans and Fisher calling for a cheap-shot on Merriman. Who he thought took out a dirty hit on Vince Young, when in reality he only bumped into him and Young milked it for the cameras. There is also Cortland Finnegan who was the most annoying CB ever with his dirty hits. Haynesworth and etc. 

Question 1 -  Elisha Manning. 

Question 2 - Jeff Fisher and rehiring Norv Turner again would make me choose a new team to follow.

Question 3 -  The Raiders. Always the Raiders

Hayneworth was an ahole. Finnegan like you said was annoying for sure. But he was baiting players to do dumb stuff not starting fights or hurting players himself.

4 hours ago, DannyB said:

But where I really draw the line is with physical and/or sexual assault. Domestic abuse, child abuse, sexual assault allegations, etc.

What, not at successful players because they are successful? They're more reprehensible according to most round here...

4 hours ago, Vorsutus said:

Hayneworth was an ahole. Finnegan like you said was annoying for sure. But he was baiting players to do dumb stuff not starting fights or hurting players himself.

Really?  Starting a fight with AJ,  hitting helmetless players,  pulling players down by the neck during a tackle,  and pushing and tripping other players well after the whistle don't constitute as starting fights and hurting other players?

Finnegan was absolutely a dirty player. There's a season why he was voted by his own peers as one of the most dirtiest players in the league,  year after year,  along side the likes of other D-bags like Burflict,  Suh,  and Incognito. 

His fight with Andre all but solidified this notion because, by all accounts,  Andre Johnson was one of the most respectable and humble players to every play the game and for ANYONE to get him to react in the way that he did then I'm fully convinced they deserved it.  As was the case with Finnegan.  I was SO glad to see that egotistical POS of a player get his *** beat live and it was even more enjoyable watching it come from someone like AJ. 

There's a huge difference between playing the game with integrity, and playing it dirty.