Notable Stats

HTTRDynasty

There is some coaching malpractice going on in this league. 

It is STILL going on in Los Angeles;

We've already established that LAC find a lot of success when they predominantly pass on first and second downs, whereas when they run on first and second downs, their EPA drops significantly. This is why they lose late, because they go away from what works and become all scared and conservative and start running on first and second down. Well, there's 3 weeks in a row where that was the case, so surely against Miami, finally, it would have been noticed and changed, right?

On first downs in the first half they ran the ball literally 50% more than they passed it. You can see this on the very first drive - nothing, nothing, nothing, punt - blocked. So they're actually going away from what works even earlier now. LET JUSTIN COOK!

They averaged 2.3 YPC on those first down runs, yet when they pass they average 8.3 YPA. They kept pounding it on first downs. 

On the half as a whole (not including the 2min drill to end half) the Chargers had 17 runs and 8 drop backs. Over double runs. These runs were averaging 3.1 YPC.

It is demonstrable that running doesn't work for them, but it's what they chose to do most!!! 

Lynn - It is time to go! 

@Bearerofnews I'm getting insanely frustrated with this clown, I can't imagine what you guys are feeling. Actively, persistently taking the ball away from your new star QB despite ALL the evidence showing he should be driving everything.

Chicago fans also can feel a bit P'd off with their coaching staff. 

I don't know who's calling plays now (Nagy gave it up?) either way, what are they trying to do? Because they aren't paying attention to what works and what doesn't....

They NEED to stop using 11 personnel. Since Foles took over, Chicago average 5.4 YPA with -EPA and 40% pressure rate in this formation. With 12, they get 10.9, +EPA and much lower pressure rate. But they hardly use 12 personnel. Against MIN, once again, they use predominately 11 personnel.

in 33 drop backs, the number of times they did not use 11 personnel  - THREE! So, 12 or 22 is so much more successful for them, but they refuse to use it. 

In play-action passing, they averaged 2.3 YPA, because they almost always threw these passes at the LOS or short (LBs are supposed to be drawn in on PA, so throw behind them?!). On PA passing that went beyond 5 yards, they averaged 9.8 YPA, but they rarely did it. 

So Chicago's play caller - why persist with things that do not work? Don't they have like ALL the TEs? But they're obsessed with 3 or 4 WR sets.

Edited by Hunter2_1
  • Like 3

52 minutes ago, Hunter2_1 said:

There is some coaching malpractice going on in this league. 

It is STILL going on in Los Angeles;

We've already established that LAC find a lot of success when they predominantly pass on first and second downs, whereas when they run on first and second downs, their EPA drops significantly. This is why they lose late, because they go away from what works and become all scared and conservative and start running on first and second down. Well, there's 3 weeks in a row where that was the case, so surely against Miami, finally, it would have been noticed and changed, right?

On first downs in the first half they ran the ball literally 50% more than they passed it. You can see this on the very first drive - nothing, nothing, nothing, punt - blocked. So they're actually going away from what works even earlier now. LET JUSTIN COOK!

They averaged 2.3 YPC on those first down runs, yet when they pass they average 8.3 YPA. They kept pounding it on first downs. 

On the half as a whole (not including the 2min drill to end half) the Chargers had 17 runs and 8 drop backs. Over double runs. These runs were averaging 3.1 YPC.

It is demonstrable that running doesn't work for them, but it's what they chose to do most!!! 

Lynn - It is time to go! 

@Bearerofnews I'm getting insanely frustrated with this clown, I can't imagine what you guys are feeling. Actively, persistently taking the ball away from your new star QB despite ALL the evidence showing he should be driving everything.

I don't know who's calling plays now (Nagy gave it up?) either way, what are they trying to do? Because they aren't paying attention to what works and what doesn't....

They NEED to stop using 11 personnel. Since Foles took over, Chicago average 5.4 YPA with -EPA and 40% pressure rate in this formation. With 12, they get 10.9, +EPA and much lower pressure rate. But they hardly use 12 personnel. Against MIN, once again, they use predominately 11 personnel.

in 33 drop backs, the number of times they did not use 11 personnel  - THREE! So, 12 or 22 is so much more successful for them, but they refuse to use it. 

In play-action passing, they averaged 2.3 YPA, because they almost always threw these passes at the LOS or short (LBs are supposed to be drawn in on PA, so throw behind them?!). On PA passing that went beyond 5 yards, they averaged 9.8 YPA, but they rarely did it. 

So Chicago's play caller - why persist with things that do not work? Don't they have like ALL the TEs? But they're obsessed with 3 or 4 WR sets.

Trust me you're preaching to the choir. I like Lynn as a person. But its obvious he has no pulse of this team. Him and Gus need to go. Id like to see Pep Hamilton as interm. Lynn is marty ball 2.0. He is ignorantly persistent on running the ball. The thing is our running game is looking better. But instead of using that to stay unpredictable, he remains frustratingly predictable. Let Herbert sautee. I dont care that Dolphins were running their exotic amoeba cover 0 defense defense. If they let him air it out, he would of picked them apart. But when they did throw it, he was already out of synch for them stubbornly pounding it with their 5th string RB.  Yes, 5th string. 

• Like 2

On 11/19/2020 at 8:00 AM, Hunter2_1 said:

Nagy called every game in Chicago until Lazor called the last one.

Nagy was once quoted, “I’m not an idiot,” and “I wasn’t brought here to run the I-Formation.” Only one of those quotes from him is actually correct though.

We have Graham who is grossly overpaid but a solid RZ threat. Before last week he was on pace for about 100 targets, which is absolutely ridiculous. Kmet was drafted in the 2nd but barely sees the field. Harris is a pure blocker with poor hands. But Nagy doesn't use them correctly. Put Harris and Kmet on the line, rotate Graham on the slot with Miller while ARob and Mooney are on the outside. Graham can at least block CBs occasionally, and Kmet and Harris are better run blockers.

But Nagy is leading the lowest rushing YPG, 2nd lowest PPG, 8th worst passing YPG (while leading the NFL in attempts - 10 games to others having 9 admittedly but still). Clearly he's the offensive genius, right?

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Sugashane said:

Nagy called every game in Chicago until Lazor called the last one.

Nagy was once quoted, “I’m not an idiot,” and “I wasn’t brought here to run the I-Formation.” Only one of those quotes from him is actually correct though.

We have Graham who is grossly overpaid but a solid RZ threat. Before last week he was on pace for about 100 targets, which is absolutely ridiculous. Kmet was drafted in the 2nd but barely sees the field. Harris is a pure blocker with poor hands. But Nagy doesn't use them correctly. Put Harris and Kmet on the line, rotate Graham on the slot with Miller while ARob and Mooney are on the outside. Graham can at least block CBs occasionally, and Kmet and Harris are better run blockers.

But Nagy is leading the lowest rushing YPG, 2nd lowest PPG, 8th worst passing YPG (while leading the NFL in attempts - 10 games to others having 9 admittedly but still). Clearly he's the offensive genius, right?

It's crazy when you consider the success the offense has in heavier personnel packages. It's probably not sustainable, given Chicago's opponents expect the 11 personnel, so when Chi come out in 12 or 21 or something, it catches them by surprise a bit (possibly why these packages avg over 10 YPA) ....but actively and deliberately not using formations that stats prove works? I don't get it...

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Hunter2_1 said:

It's crazy when you consider the success the offense has in heavier personnel packages. It's probably not sustainable, given Chicago's opponents expect the 11 personnel, so when Chi come out in 12 or 21 or something, it catches them by surprise a bit (possibly why these packages avg over 10 YPA) ....but actively and deliberately not using formations that stats prove works? I don't get it...

I caught a lot of flack when I said Nagy wasn't a good playcaller in 2018. Rather than finding what a team does well and then basing most of their game off of that he relied on the cute play or unusual personnel to throw off the defense. The Bears offense had an amazing 6 game stretch of averaging over 30 PPG against mostly bad defenses, but even with that they tailed off at the end. Scoring 9th in PPG was propped up by that stretch and 6 defensive scores. 

Since then the Bears have been worse offensively than under Lovie. Nagy has no pulse on the team, just blind and unwarranted pride in his own ability. 

His only chance at success is to follow the John Harbaugh path. Manage the team, because the players seem to fight for him still, and have coordinators run their side of the ball. That being said no coordinator worth his salt is going to want to come here with Pace's abysmal track record on offense. 

Both need to be tossed. 

1 hour ago, RaidersAreOne said:

I had a feeling he’d be pretty good as a rookie was pretty disappointed he fell to the Chargers.

Really seems like the West is trying to emulate the Chiefs, (Riggs pick, Big Armed Herbert, Jeudy/Hamler) and it’s Seemingly working pretty well.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Chiefer said:

I had a feeling he’d be pretty good as a rookie was pretty disappointed he fell to the Chargers.

Really seems like the West is trying to emulate the Chiefs, (Riggs pick, Big Armed Herbert, Jeudy/Hamler) and it’s Seemingly working pretty well.

Well for Chargers and Broncos... just not translating to wins yet. Now we just need our Reid and it's on for 2021.