Notable Stats

HTTRDynasty

On 6/30/2020 at 6:35 PM, DannyB said:

I just realized something. I think the most unfortunate and distressing change in the league over the past 20 years is the shift from elite WRs wearing jersey numbers in 80s, as god intended, to wearing numbers in the teens, an abomination against nature.

I read something a few months back - i can’t remember if it was reception, or touchdown, but it said that in the entire NFL last year, not a single WR wearing #85 recorded a reception/touchdown (forget which one it was, but i honestly think it was reception because my mind was completely blown by it and i remembered the article because of it)

14 minutes ago, Ray Reed said:

I read something a few months back - i can’t remember if it was reception, or touchdown, but it said that in the entire NFL last year, not a single WR wearing #85 recorded a reception/touchdown (forget which one it was, but i honestly think it was reception because my mind was completely blown by it and i remembered the article because of it)

And that's a shame, because 85 is a fantastic number!

Chad Johnson, Greg Jennings, Drew Hill, Derrick Mason. And that's not counting TEs. Great number.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Nabbs4u said:

I think a lot of the younger generation were trying to follow Larry Fitzgerald when he chose #11 back in 04'. Honestly think that was the beginning of the change over.

I'm not positive that's true, but it's worth investigating. If it turns out that this is true, then change my vote from "YES" to "NO" on Fitzgerald's Hall of Fame candidacy.

2 hours ago, Nabbs4u said:

I think a lot of the younger generation were trying to follow Larry Fitzgerald when he chose #11 back in 04'. Honestly think that was the beginning of the change over.

You may be right. ‘04 was the first year wrs were allowed to wear teens again and he was the first to get drafted. Reggie Williams and Roy Williams followed his lead.

I also think Keyshawn was a factor. He was allowed to wear 19 because all numbers in the 80s were taken.  I bet he influenced a lot of the guys drafted around ‘04.

• Like 1

Carr get's dumped on hard by Raider fans and in general I find he isn't thought of that highly, but he can execute Gruden's O. He definitely needs to learn to be more aggressive and aware in key situations, but people saying Carr sucks aren't correct.

Signing Mariota should light a huge fire under his butt and I hope he can return to 2016 Carr.

• Like 2

On 02/07/2020 at 12:41 AM, Duluther said:

People are going to wonder if Pittman is a TE.

I've seen the TE comparison throughout the draft process, and I've watched a couple of his videos on YT, and I'm struggling to see it. Maybe I need to see him next to a rookie WR in person, but to me he doesn't look TE big at all. Maybe it's that the potential is there.

4 hours ago, Hunter2_1 said:

I've seen the TE comparison throughout the draft process, and I've watched a couple of his videos on YT, and I'm struggling to see it. Maybe I need to see him next to a rookie WR in person, but to me he doesn't look TE big at all. Maybe it's that the potential is there.

I’m only joking about how he’s one of very few starting receivers either an 80’s number.

On 7/3/2020 at 7:06 AM, RaidersAreOne said:

Carr get's dumped on hard by Raider fans and in general I find he isn't thought of that highly, but he can execute Gruden's O. He definitely needs to learn to be more aggressive and aware in key situations, but people saying Carr sucks aren't correct.

Signing Mariota should light a huge fire under his butt and I hope he can return to 2016 Carr.

Not that he sucks, its just that hes mediocre and that doesn't win championships. He's not a franchise guy (or he was, back in 2016, that needs to return)

On 7/8/2020 at 5:01 AM, Hunter2_1 said:

Why did LAC's 6 or 7 DBs work so well against Lamar's Baltimore in the 2018 WC?

Why has it not worked since, if/when tried?

@Classic @BaltimoreTerp 

Couple of things really:

1.) Most defenses don't have a player as athletic/versatile/intelligent as Derwin James. It's easier to put a lot of DB's on the field when some of those DB's fly around the field and tackle like LB's. 

2.) The Chargers picked up in film study that our offensive linemen were tipping plays with their stance. They knew before every play whether it was a run or pass, which probably played as big a role in stopping us as any scheme did. That got corrected in the offseason obviously. 

3.) That approach also worked because it was the first time we had seen it and weren't prepared. You only get the element of surprise once. But the way our offense was built in 2019 - heavy use of multiple TE's and a fullback - makes it difficult to fully commit to just spamming DB's on the field - teams got run over when they tried it, and they had to be responsive to our personnel. As I said before, it comes down partly to who you have - if you have DB's like Derwin James, you can count on those guys in run defense, but most defenses don't have a Derwin James. 

4.) But really the biggest one for me is just that our offense short-circuited that day mostly because Lamar was not nearly as developed and played a terrible game. He made big improvements in his game, particularly as a passer, and in 2019 we had an offense that was actually built around Lamar as opposed to the 2018 offense that was basically put together on the fly midseason after Flacco was benched. The Chargers shut him down because they didn't have to respect him as a passer. Teams that took that same attitude towards him in 2019 quickly learned that he could beat you with his arm too. 

I think the principles of what LA did that day still holds true in terms of what can work best against Lamar, but it's not really rocket science and it's not even something that is specific to just Lamar: If you have smart, athletic defenders who play their assignments and tackle well, you're going to have more success as a defense. LA had that. Tennessee was able to do some things against us in a similar way because they have an outstanding safety duo and were able to throw out some looks that we hadn't prepared for just like LA had done a year earlier. The other defenses arguably that gave us the most trouble - Pittsburgh, Buffalo, San Francisco - were all elite units with plus athleticism and versatility. Doesn't mean any of them have the 'blueprint' for stopping Lamar that people keep hoping will magically appear, but having better players is ultimately the best way to try and limit any good offense. 

Edited by BaltimoreTerp
  • Like 3

On 7/8/2020 at 5:01 AM, Hunter2_1 said:

Why did LAC's 6 or 7 DBs work so well against Lamar's Baltimore in the 2018 WC?

Why has it not worked since, if/when tried?

@Classic @BaltimoreTerp 

I still think this is ultimately where the game is headed (Not just against Lamar). 

Guys like Derwin, Adams & Simmons are going to carve out a new role on defense that will make this schematically efficient - and other will follow. It gives a DC a lot of flexibility trying defend these new age offenses that can run or pass out of virtually any look. The key is having versatile chess pieces (Adams/Derwin) who can legitimately play multiple spots effectively, so you aren't vulnerable against the run or rushing the passer. I was pulling for the Jets to sign Logan Ryan because I think his added versatility + GWs creativity would favor this progressive style. 

• Like 2