Notable Stats

HTTRDynasty

34 minutes ago, Blackstar12 said:

Prime Revis was really one of the best to do it.

Definitely some good/great receivers on that list, but listing Torry Holt is very misleading lol dude was beyond washed by the time he got to Jacksonville.

Edited by iknowcool
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, TitanLegend said:

Just an interesting note as we get close to the draft.

Although a few have played in them or helped set the foundation, such as Wentz, Goff, and Cam. Also deceptive considering Eli Manning May as well have been with a trade up to #1 overall, and the same with Elway (both twice).

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

Although a few have played in them or helped set the foundation, such as Wentz, Goff, and Cam. Also deceptive considering Eli Manning May as well have been with a trade up to #1 overall, and the same with Elway (both twice).

LOL

He intentionally omitted Terry Bradshaw in 1970 as well. I mean, he’s right on his overall point, but hyperbole and exaggeration is absurd here Jeremy Schapp. So, basically we are talking about 4 for Bradshaw, 3 for Aikman, 2 for Eli, 2 for Elway, and 1 for Manning in the last 50 Super Bowls, for a total of 13/50, not counting the one Peyton won in Denver, for a 26% success rate in the #1 spot alone.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TitanLegend said:

Just an interesting note as we get close to the draft.

This is a mix of terrible logic, poor statistical conclusions, and genuinely deceptive use of statistics. This is like everything I hate about how people use stats incorrectly.

The biggest and clearest problem is simply sample size. You only have 50 possible superbowl wins and a sample of 44 QBs. You take any sample of 44 QBs, acquired by similar means, and the success rate will be incredibly low. Only 29 QBs in NFL history have won a superbowl as a starter. That's a tiny chance for success by the chosen measurement. Pick any set of picks, and it's going to look like a terrible success rate. Well, except for pick 199. This logic would show that the best way to acquire a QB, would be to take one with exactly pick 199. That has a huge success rate, so it must be the best way to do it.

Beyond that, there's just blatant statistical manipulation here. Why 50 drafts? Why not just go back and capture any QB that may have won a superbowl? Well, then you'd have to include Joe Namath, Len Dawson, and Terry Bradshaw. Suddenly, that's actually a lot of superbowls. Why does it have to be the team that drafted them? We really just want to see if drafting a QB there is successful, right? It's the team's own fault they let them go. But then, we'd have to include Plunkett, Young, Elway, and Eli, the latter two are really just out on technicalities anyway. And then why stop at 3? It can't be because going down to 4 adds the 2 superbowls for Bob Griese to the list, right? Would've made far more sense, intuitively, to go top 5. Nice round, common number for things like this. But no. Need to keep the list as arbitrarily short as possible.

The actual reality is, we've had 56 superbowls in NFL history. QBs drafted in the top 5 picks have won 20 of them. That's pretty damn good. I'd take my chances.

EDIT: Missed Len Dawson.

• Like 7

Drafting Jim Plunkett and Steve Young did nothing for the teams that drafted them.

Eli and Elway did get their teams big returns and its not like the Chargers and Colts did not make the right choice only to be screwed by those players.

Excluding guys like Bradshaw is weak sauce.

FYI any hot take stat manipulation that sets Tim Couch and Andrew Luck as the same level of player is the definition of worthless.

The problem is not that 3 QBs will go in the top 3 this year, its that only 1 QB is a top 3 pick talent this year. So you overvalue the QB position and you wind up drafting a guy who is ;literally worth less.

GMs don't really build teams to win Super Bowls. If they did then they should all be paid 10 bucks an hour with a bonus for Lombardis. What they try to do is to build winning teams that are good enough to compete for a Super Bowl.

Bill Polian built the 1990s Bills, the expansion Panthers, and the Manning Colts. Does 1 Super Bowl win mean he and Howie Roseman are the same guy? Are Andy Reid and Doug Pederson equivalent as coaches?

This is either 100% true or 100% false:  Aaron Rodgers has been worthless since 2011.

If post-2010 Rodgers has value (of course he does) then judging a successful QB pick should not be just about Super Bowls. I'd love to pretend that Nick Foles and Rodgers are the same guy (1 ring each). They are not even close.

• Like 4

Just now on NFL Now they talked about if the Browns sign Clowney they might be the first team with a pair of number 1 overall picks at the same position. They are incorrect.

Can you name any other teams that had 2 #1 overall picks at the same position. (I know of 1 team for sure)

14 minutes ago, SkippyX said:

Just now on NFL Now they talked about if the Browns sign Clowney they might be the first team with a pair of number 1 overall picks at the same position. They are incorrect.

Can you name any other teams that had 2 #1 overall picks at the same position. (I know of 1 team for sure)

Niners had Alex Smith & David Carr in 2010

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, SkippyX said:

I know the Saints had a brief overlap of George Rogers and Earl Campbell. Wasn't even a full year, IIRC, though. Because I know they traded for Campbell midseason, and I think it was after that that they dumped Rogers.

• Like 1