Notable Stats

HTTRDynasty

On 6/16/2021 at 8:23 PM, Jakuvious said:

Yeah, this was talked about a lot in the Chiefs forum throughout the season. Once we hit a few injuries, Mahomes stopped trusting the OL, and started bailing regardless of whether there was pressure or not. His internal clock got messed up a bit. Was easily his biggest flaw on the year. It was better in the post season, actually, and then Tampa happened.

This and in shotgun snaps he drops back another 6-15 feet behind the LOS. All DEs had to do was run straight for him without having to turn any sort of corner.

If he cant get that figured out then no amount of OL upgrades will matter. Even OB jr wont be able to get a hand on the DEs. 

Something I put together quickly because I was interested in seeing the variability of good defenses over the past couple of decades.  I pulled down the defensive DVOA rankings from Football Outsiders on an annual basis from 2000 to 2020 and created a table to show the output. 

It shows the average rank over that period for each team, as well as the number of top 10, top 5, and top 3 finishes over that span.  It's clear that Baltimore has been on a completely different level than the rest of the league.  They averaged a 6th place ranking; the next closest team averaged a ranking of 13th (Chicago).  Baltimore also finished inside the top 10 a total of 19 times over 21 years, and top 5 a total of 12 times, which are both ridiculous.  They are the massive outlier over the past 2 decades.

image.png.1f52efa6e42462548e5f804b3164df

• Like 8

Pat McAfee had Fred Taylor on his show yesterday and I found it a little surprising that Fred is Top 10 all time in career 100 yard rushing games

Emmit Smith 78

Walter Payton 77

Barry Sanders 76

Eric Dickerson 64

Jerome Bettis 61

Edgerrin James 57

Curtis Martin 57

A.P 56

Jim Brown 55

Fred Taylor 49

1 hour ago, HTTRDynasty said:

Something I put together quickly because I was interested in seeing the variability of good defenses over the past couple of decades.  I pulled down the defensive DVOA rankings from Football Outsiders on an annual basis from 2000 to 2020 and created a table to show the output. 

It shows the average rank over that period for each team, as well as the number of top 10, top 5, and top 3 finishes over that span.  It's clear that Baltimore has been on a completely different level than the rest of the league.  They averaged a 6th place ranking; the next closest team averaged a ranking of 13th (Chicago).  Baltimore also finished inside the top 10 a total of 19 times over 21 years, and top 5 a total of 12 times, which are both ridiculous.  They are the massive outlier over the past 2 decades.

image.png.1f52efa6e42462548e5f804b3164df

Seems about right. As a ravens fan I can only remember a couple of subpar defensive units during that time. So many of those great defenses were wasted by terrible offensive play, there 2006 defense was almost as good as that 2000 unit in my opinion.

1 hour ago, Letsch80 said:

Seems about right. As a ravens fan I can only remember a couple of subpar defensive units during that time. So many of those great defenses were wasted by terrible offensive play, there 2006 defense was almost as good as that 2000 unit in my opinion.

Yeah, it looks like the Ravens' lowest ranking during that period was 22nd in 2015.  On a pure DVOA percentage basis, it looks like their best defensive season was 2008, with a -28% DVOA.  Ironically, they were only ranked 2nd that year, as the Steelers had a -29% DVOA.

The best individual season DVOAs over that period were 1) Tampa with -31% in 2002, 2) Pittsburgh with -29% in 2008, and 3) Buffalo with -28% in 2004.  Baltimore's '08 season was 4th.

3 hours ago, TakeTheBallDeep said:

Pat McAfee had Fred Taylor on his show yesterday and I found it a little surprising that Fred is Top 10 all time in career 100 yard rushing games

Emmit Smith 78

Walter Payton 77

Barry Sanders 76

Eric Dickerson 64

Jerome Bettis 61

Edgerrin James 57

Curtis Martin 57

A.P 56

Jim Brown 55

Fred Taylor 49

Only 3 active players in the Top 25 and none are currently on a team (AP, Frank Gore, LeSean McCoy

On 6/18/2021 at 10:41 AM, TakeTheBallDeep said:

Emmit Smith 78 in 219 starts

Walter Payton 77 in 184 starts

Barry Sanders 76 in 151 starts

Eric Dickerson 64 in 136 starts

Jerome Bettis 61 in 153 starts

Edgerrin James 57 in 135 starts

Curtis Martin 57 in 166 starts

A.P 56 in 164 starts

Jim Brown 55 in 118 starts

Fred Taylor 49 in 137 starts

Great list. I added starts for Jim Brown and Barry Sanders context.