46 minutes ago, Ray Reed said:

Considering how much the NFL changes year-to-year, it is absolutely insane that a team can have not won at least one divisional title since '93 or '89. 

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, iknowcool said:

Considering how much the NFL changes year-to-year, it is absolutely insane that a team can have not won at least one divisional title since '93 or '89. 

Unprecedented levels of ineptitude lol

has anyone ever combined the old browns/Ravens records together? if I was a browns fan, the worse part about the old team leaving is them becoming a elite NFL program that got over the hump right after the move. The cities title drought would of ended in 2000, instead they got a bad expansion team. That's like a sick joke.

2 hours ago, August4th said:

has anyone ever combined the old browns/Ravens records together? if I was a browns fan, the worse part about the old team leaving is them becoming a elite NFL program that got over the hump right after the move. The cities title drought would of ended in 2000, instead they got a bad expansion team. That's like a sick joke.

The only starters on the 2000 SB team from the pre-move 5-11 ‘95 Browns were RT Orlando Brown and K Matt Stover...and obviously a whole different coaching staff. 

The Browns had 1 winning season in the 6 prior years to them moving, and the Ravens had 3 straight playoff-less years to start their franchise history so it’s a bit of a stretch to act like the Browns were “close to getting over the hump” and then the team moved and found instant success, or that they too would have won in 2000 IMO. At that point it was just an entirely different team/regime 

Edited by Ray Reed
  • Like 1
38 minutes ago, Ray Reed said:

The only starters on the 2000 SB team from the pre-move 5-11 ‘95 Browns were RT Orlando Brown and K Matt Stover...and obviously a whole different coaching staff. 

The Browns had 1 winning season in the 6 prior years to them moving, and the Ravens had 3 straight playoff-less years to start their franchise history so it’s a bit of a stretch to act like the Browns were “close to getting over the hump” and then the team moved and found instant success, or that they too would have won in 2000 IMO. At that point it was just an entirely different team/regime 

Yeah, but Art Modell didn't leave. I don't really see why if they didn't move that they would have instead stiffed Ozzie on the promotion. 

4 hours ago, Ray Reed said:

Ive heard this argument before, problem is the guy in charge was a Browns legend and a HOF executive He stays in Cleveland and i dont doubt his success, despite it being a “different team” by 2000

Edited by Chiefer
11 hours ago, pwny said:

Yeah, but Art Modell didn't leave. I don't really see why if they didn't move that they would have instead stiffed Ozzie on the promotion. 

Bill Belichick had 1 winning season in 5 years in Cleveland. 

Saying “X guy would have had X success in X place, too” despite a myriad of other human factors is a really lazy argument imo. Things like that aren’t just transitive in sports.

On 6/18/2021 at 11:02 AM, HTTRDynasty said:

Something I put together quickly because I was interested in seeing the variability of good defenses over the past couple of decades.  I pulled down the defensive DVOA rankings from Football Outsiders on an annual basis from 2000 to 2020 and created a table to show the output. 

It shows the average rank over that period for each team, as well as the number of top 10, top 5, and top 3 finishes over that span.  It's clear that Baltimore has been on a completely different level than the rest of the league.  They averaged a 6th place ranking; the next closest team averaged a ranking of 13th (Chicago).  Baltimore also finished inside the top 10 a total of 19 times over 21 years, and top 5 a total of 12 times, which are both ridiculous.  They are the massive outlier over the past 2 decades.

image.png.1f52efa6e42462548e5f804b3164df

definitely interesting

If you would have asked me, who had the best defense over the past 21 years, I would have said "Either the Ravens or the Steelers" and would have assumed the two were close

I would not have assumed the massive, massive gap between the two.

Jets are a bit of a surprise for me as well, to legitimately be in that Pittsburgh/Chicago/Seattle/Tampa territory. Panthers to a lesser extent are a surprise to be there as well

• Like 2
20 hours ago, Ray Reed said:

Wow. I cant tell if I want CLE and DET to win their divisions this year because thats sad, or to keep losing for the memes. 

• Like 1
21 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

Wow. I cant tell if I want CLE and DET to win their divisions this year because thats sad, or to keep losing for the memes. 

The answer is always the memes