Notable Stats

HTTRDynasty

All you have to do is look at the 2004 RB rotation for the Chiefs to see how absolutely broken that OL and offense was for RB production.

Holmes started the first 8 games of the season, and went for 896 yards, 14 TDs, 187 receiving yards, and 1 receiving TD. He was on pace for a crazy 2158 total yards and 30 total TDs. But, injury robbed us of that, and in came...

Derrick Blaylock, who started the next 5 games, put up 540 total yards with 5 total TDs, and was on pace for 1728 total yards and 16 total TDs. Now, this doesn't include his half of the Atlanta game. That would've given him 676 total yards and 9 TDs in about 6 games. That would've paced for 1802 yards and 24 TDs. But that one got derailed to as he got injured and in stepped...

Larry Johnson, who went for 276 rushing yards, 5 rushing TDs, 158 receiving yards, and 1 receiving TD. That would've paced at 2315 total yards and 32 total TDs. And that's not counting the Oakland and Tennessee games where he didn't start, but saw enough time to wrack up another 300ish yards and 4 TDs in those 2 games. Wouldn't have changed the TD projection, but would've added another 25 yards or so.

And mind you, Holmes was on pace for like 430 touches, to hit his numbers. Blaylock was trending towards about 325 touches, LJ would've hit about 371. So Blaylock is only even really behind at all because they weren't really feeding him.

But total, that '04 RB corp ended with 2069 rushing yards, 31 rushing TDs, 829 receiving  yards, and 4 receiving TDs. And Holmes missed literally half the season. 

Holmes was a very good RB. He was insanely productive. But there is actual empirical evidence to show that a lot of that was from that environment. A much lesser back in Blaylock, and a somewhat lesser back in LJ, were still crazy productive (especially compared to the era Charles played in) on that same roster. No other RB was productive in those late 2000s early 2010s Chiefs. LJ was spiraling, Thomas Jones went from being incredibly productive with the Jets to failing to do anything with the Chiefs (weird sentence to type nowadays), Peyton Hillis saw a similar dip in productivity going from Cleveland to KC (also kind of weird), a slew of backups failed to do anything of note (Shaun Draughn, Kolby Smith, Jackie Battle, Cyrus Gray, Knile Davis, etc.) Not until Ware and West in 2015, but by then Charles was done and we were getting well into the Reid era.

• Like 3

Again, Emmett had a top 10 best O-line of all time. BTW, Emmett is refuting a lame O-line straw man, not the actual straw man.

We don’t really judge players on woulda coulda teammates. That always leads to Randall Cunningham as the GoaT. I love that Westbrook was 3rd on that list. I love the guy. He was not a top all time RB and neither was Jamaal Charles.

Henry Ellard ( picked at random) is better than Jerry Rice but no Young, Montana, Walsh, O-line, dynasty, etc. It’s an endless quagmire of speculation.

Flipper Anderson is the best Rams receiver if we use yards per catch and boo hoo teammate rating. I myself will go with Isaac Bruce.

Edited by SkippyX

12 hours ago, Forge said:

If this is true, this is stupid LOL 

How are you a divisional rival and have never heard this? I feel like I have heard this stat every single Cards game I have ever seen. 

Every single Cards game being like 1 a year.

Edited by Matts4313

On 8/18/2021 at 1:21 AM, Matts4313 said:

Can someone explain to me what this sentence means? 

It means if you say Emmitt was not a good RB because his O-line was great then you are king of cold takes.

If you say the same thing for anyone else you are still grasping at straws.

Every player has teammates and the great ones usually have great teammates.

Marshall Faulk is overrated because of Orlando Pace is not something rational people say when talking RB greatness.

I get that its an advanced concept though.

4 hours ago, iknowcool said:

I want to believe this but seems like a stretch that he would only have 29 or whatever drops in 17 seasons.  

Pretty sure he has the most TD receptions from different QB’s as well with 16. 

Edit: it’s Irving Fryar - https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.reddit.com/r/nfl/comments/dy6gu1/who_has_caught_the_most_tds_from_different_qbs/

Edited by DirtyDez
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, SkippyX said:

It means if you say Emmitt was not a good RB because his O-line was great then you are king of cold takes.

Nobody is saying Priest Holmes wasn't a good RB though.  Just that, because of his situation, what he did wasn't as impressive as what Charles did.

And people do make the same arguments against Emmitt.  He's obviously one of the all-time greats, but there is a reason there aren't a lot of people out there putting him over Payton or Sanders (and rightfully so).  

• Like 3

Larry Johnson did not equal Priest Holmes but he was very very good.

• He was also a 1st round pick stud RB to a team that already had a star (like Rodgers in Green Bay but for RBs)
  • Johnson had a 2k season at Penn State and was 3rd in the Heisman voting.
    • The pick was very controversial at the time for a team that had lots of needs elsewhere. (Red Carpet D)
  • His peak also lasted about 36 games to Holmes 54 games.

Derrick Blaylock has 1 career 100+ yard rushing game. He got 186 against the 30/31 ranked rushing yard / ypc D in New Orleans. He averaged 51 yards per game and 3.83 ypc in his other 4 starts. By all means lets diminish Priest Holmes with a pathetic comparison. 1 guy does it for 54 starts and the other for 1. 

• Teams put up 140.8 rushing yards per game on 2004 New Orleans at 4.6 a pop

Priest Holmes was first team all-pro for 3 years in a row.

• He led the league in rushing yards in 2001, yards from scrimmage in 01-02, and TDs in '02-'03
    • They were years 2-4 of Ladainian Tomlinson in SD so its not like they just picked him over no competition.
  • Willie Roaf spent the first year of that in New Orleans.
  • Brian Watters did not start until halfway through year 1.