On 10/14/2021 at 8:19 PM, SkippyX said:

Here is some context.

Mahomes has 7 turnovers during his current 4-game streak

Manning had 12 turnovers as mentioned above.

Brady has 1 in his last 4 

We should all feel pity for Mahomes because that's what he needs?

His team only got to 3 straight AFCCGs.

Suck Less. This is the way.

Peyton broke the record for pick 6’s that season but he doesn’t want to talk about it 🤣. He had 23 interceptions that season

Edited by CP3MVP
20 hours ago, Jakuvious said:

I get the desire to jump to defend Brady, but the Chiefs defense is bad because of Mahomes is not really the argument to do it with. Turnovers or not, KC leads the league in plays per drive and time of possession per drive, the Chiefs defense has faced the fewest opposing possessions of any defense in football, and we're slightly above average in terms of average opposing starting field position. The D is not allowing points because the offense is turning it over, the D is allowing points because it sucks regardless of how the other team got the ball. Teams average 45.2 yards per drive against us, 5 games in. If that were an offense, it would be ranked second in football to ours. The overall point of the tweet is perfectly valid, in that few elite QBs have had to deal with a defense as bad as this current one has been for KC.

Yea bad defense is bad.  There's tons of examples of crap offenses with great defenses and vice versa.  You can help them out sure, but bad is bad.

• Like 1
44 minutes ago, CP3MVP said:

Peyton broke the record for pick 6’s that season but he doesn’t want to talk about it 🤣. He had 23 interceptions that season

He got Mora fired.

The famous Playoffs! PLAYOFFS! sound byte is from that season.

Brady had the 31st ranked yardage D in 2011.

He went 13-3 and to the Super Bowl. He was a Welker drop from yet another ring.

The Patriots were 3rd best in fewest offensive turnovers.

Brady was tied for 3rd fewest picks among full time QBs.

Turnovers matter. The stats on it are the number 1 indicator of wins and losses by far.

Its one reason why the 31st ranked yardage D was 15th in points. Brady did not feed the other team like Mahomes is doing this year.

Edited by SkippyX

Brady had the 29th yardage D in 2017.

He was league MVP.

He lost the Super Bowl because 504 yards was not enough (or he dropped the ball, whatever)

He was 3rd best in interception % and 3rd fewest in picks.

That D was 5th in points again in part because Brady almost never gave them a short field.

NE had 12 offensive turnovers all year.

29 minutes ago, SkippyX said:

Turnovers matter. The stats on it are the number 1 indicator of wins and losses by far.

Its one reason why the 31st ranked yardage D was 15th in points. Brady did not feed the other team like Mahomes is doing this year.

They were also top 3 in takeaways, which matters a lot more than yards.

• Like 2

Derrick Henry averaging over 150 total yards per game so far has gone under the radar. I haven't watched him yet, and just became aware when I saw my matchup in fantasy football and my opponent had him. Feels like he's become underappreciated as one of the superstars of the game.

Again, the Chiefs D allows the most yards per drive. The turnover argument only works if the turnovers are creating short fields, and that's what is causing the number of points allowed. Like 8 of the 11 turnovers occurred in the opponent's territory. A 9th was like 2 yards past the 50. Had those all been shorter drives ending in punts, the end result would've been virtually identical. If anything, worse, as the defense would've had less time to rest between possessions. But then the excuse wouldn't be there, if we had 15 punts and 4 turnovers, instead of 8 punts and 11 turnovers.

You can certainly argue that the offense would be even better if not for these turnovers. We've had like half a dozen in field goal range. Lost a lot of points, in addition to all the points that have scored, due to turnovers. Definitely would've won the Ravens game. But they are not the reason the defense is bad.

It's the stupidest thing, that everyone is fine saying how objectively dumpster fire terrible KC's defense is (and it has been, it absolutely has been), but the second it is mentioned in reference to Patrick Mahomes, no, no, the defense is set up for failure by their offense that is top 5 in damn near any metric or statistic you can find (even with the turnovers factored in.)

Like, Josh Allen just went for 20 yards per completion against us, in a full football game. Tell me how the hell the offense is to blame for that.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, SkippyX said:

That SB loss ages well considering it should’ve been Baltimore that made it.  Regardless, the #1 offense with a 5’9” WR and two 22-year old TE’s gets lost as one of the GOAT QB seasons.  

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, DirtyDez said:

That SB loss ages well considering it should’ve been Baltimore that made it.  Regardless, the #1 offense with a 5’9” WR and two 22-year old TE’s gets lost as one of the GOAT QB seasons.  

I mean, it was a great season no doubt, but you are really selling his teammates short here.  Wes Welker was terrific and Gronk/Hernandez were easily the best tight end duo in the NFL at the time, even at that age.  And they were a huge mis-match for most defenses back then.  Maybe I'm wrong but it felt like the first time an offense was willing to utilize both tight ends that much in the passing game, teams just didn't have the guys to cover of them.

I do agree Brady was great that year, just don't think it is fair to play his supporting cast off as if they weren't great. 

27 minutes ago, iknowcool said:

I mean, it was a great season no doubt, but you are really selling his teammates short here.  Wes Welker was terrific and Gronk/Hernandez were easily the best tight end duo in the NFL at the time, even at that age.  And they were a huge mis-match for most defenses back then.  Maybe I'm wrong but it felt like the first time an offense was willing to utilize both tight ends that much in the passing game, teams just didn't have the guys to cover of them.

I do agree Brady was great that year, just don't think it is fair to play his supporting cast off as if they weren't great. 

Actually his previous season might have been better.  Both TE’s were rookies and Welker was coming off the ACL.  Not one 1,000 yard pass catcher but they traded for Branch in season… #1 scoring offense by 5 points that year but flamed out in the playoffs. 

6 hours ago, wackywabbit said:

Derrick Henry averaging over 150 total yards per game so far has gone under the radar. I haven't watched him yet, and just became aware when I saw my matchup in fantasy football and my opponent had him. Feels like he's become underappreciated as one of the superstars of the game.

It really is kinda crazy. Only 5 weeks in but he’s on pace to break the yards from scrimmage record, rushing record and have about 25 rushing TDs. Yet, it still feels like he’s going a bit under the radar, which is weird. He’s not even mentioned in most national media’s too early MVP discussion (I know it’s a QB award at this point but still).

Obviously another big game in primetime against that vaunted Bills D would change a lot.

Lamar Jackson has won AFC Offensive Player of the week 8 times in 35 starts since becoming the full-time starter in 2019.

Essentially, in 23% of the games he’s played he’s been the best player in his conference that week. 

• Like 1