Notable Stats

HTTRDynasty

1 hour ago, ET80 said:

I understand that, and I get where Alabama is in the conversation - Auburn/Alabama has been a mainstay of national discussion pretty much since Nick Saban got to Tuscaloosa.

This being said - there was a time where UT and A&M was just as significant a game as the Iron Bowl. Prior to A&M going to the SEC, every Thanksgiving saw the Longhorns and Aggies play on national TV in front of the US. It was one of the more storied rivalries in CFB, right up there with any rivalry you could think of over the years.

Alabama I get, but... Nebraska? They haven't been relevant since the 90s with Tom Osbourne. Why are they so high on the list?

No one here believes that. Seriously. It's the most delusional group of fans imaginable. Ask any Nebraska fan, they still think they're a top program that just keeps hiring crap coaches or athletic directors. They'll be right back up there with 'Bama any year, now.

Given what he said the study was regarding (frequency of football as a topic of conversation), I absolutely buy Nebraska being up there. There's nothing else to talk about here. Nebraska football doesn't compare to Texas football in terms of quality, but as has been said, Texas has other stuff going on. It is hard to meet someone in Nebraska who doesn't structure a portion of their personality around Husker football. Even myself, as much as I hate and criticize it, I follow how they do weekly purely for the schadenfreude. The only thing I've seen compare to a Husker game here was when Garth Brooks came to town a little while back.

There are definitely more people in Texas going to games, more games going on in Texas, higher quality performance, etc. But I could absolutely see the average Nebraskan talking about football more than the average Texan.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ET80 said:

This proves my point as much as your statement proves your point - there's no tangible data supplying your viewpoint, it's anecdotal evidence. Likewise, there's no tangible data supplying my clients' viewpoint, it's anecdotal evidence.

What isn't anecdotal? Texas HS coaches salaries, the value of the Dallas Cowboys, the value of the HS stadiums in the state... those represent revenue, tangible figures that can derive what is actually valuable...

Uh, look at the GDP of Texas and Alabama. 

It's fine to bring up tangible figures, but you have no clue how to contextualize them. Texas is the 2nd biggest economy in the US, of course the salaries are going to be higher. You've brought up a bunch of figures that in no way support your argument. 

Another factor to consider is demographics. 38% of Texas is hispanic, and while they certainly play some football, it isn't that popular among that group. A state that has a split white/black demographic will have more per capita interest in football. 

4 minutes ago, AngusMcFife said:

Uh, look at the GDP of Texas and Alabama. 

It's fine to bring up tangible figures, but you have no clue how to contextualize them. Texas is the 2nd biggest economy in the US, of course the salaries are going to be higher.

Has nothing to do with GDP in Texas. It has to do with individual booster groups contributing to a coaches' salary (unless you think the GDP of Texas is so high it could sustain 270 coaches making over $100,000 and two of them making more than the Governor of Texas).

1 hour ago, ET80 said:

This is further illustrating my point - available funds tied to GDP is applicable to every state BUT Texas, where these coaches are heavily funded by independent boosters.

For reference - 270 HS coaches in Texas make over $100,000. Two of them make more than Texas Governor Greg Abbott. That's not tax dollars at work.

https://fanbuzz.com/high-school/texas-hs-football-coach-salaries/

You don't get this with a passive football community. If the community is pooling money to hire top level talent, you have a community that has passed on casual fandom and literally pushed chips all in.

1 hour ago, ET80 said:

This is further illustrating my point - available funds tied to GDP is applicable to every state BUT Texas, where these coaches are heavily funded by independent boosters.

For reference - 270 HS coaches in Texas make over $100,000. Two of them make more than Texas Governor Greg Abbott. That's not tax dollars at work.

https://fanbuzz.com/high-school/texas-hs-football-coach-salaries/

You don't get this with a passive football community. If the community is pooling money to hire top level talent, you have a community that has passed on casual fandom and literally pushed chips all in.

Texans are way richer than Alabamans. It has nothing to do with tax dollars going to schools. There are tons of rich guys in Texas willing to throw there money around and there aren't that many in Alabama. 

Texas HS football is way more FUNDED than Alabama, that's all we can gather from the evidence. 

1 minute ago, ET80 said:

Has nothing to do with GDP in Texas. It has to do with individual booster groups contributing to a coaches' salary (unless you think the GDP of Texas is so high it could sustain 270 coaches making over $100,000 and two of them making more than the Governor of Texas).

Yes Texas has way more rich guys. It has nothing to do with popularity on a grassroots level. 

3 minutes ago, AngusMcFife said:

Yes Texas has way more rich guys. It has nothing to do with popularity on a grassroots level. 

So what are you looking to use to contextualize which has a higher popularity level? It seems as if your only acceptable measures to you are anecdotal and/or subjective measures at absolute best (which isn't worth much).

If someone can provide this study, I'm all for looking at it and looking to understand the data behind it. Until then, I'm not really hearing anything that counters my point.

This is purely college football, but I think this provides a good visual for the points Angus and Duluther have been making. Pure quantity (in terms of dollars or population) or quality may not always be there for some of these places, but spots like 'Bama, Nebraska, etc., just don't have many people that aren't football fans. Like, the percentage of people that are football fans in those places is massive.

https://www.nytimes.com/2014/11/08/upshot/the-places-in-america-where-college-football-means-the-most.html

That does not mean that it is the right kind of way to measure something like this. But, we're talking about an objective way to measure something really subjective, so there isn't going to be a right way.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, ET80 said:

So what are you looking to use to contextualize which has a higher popularity level? It seems as if your only acceptable measures are anecdotal and/or subjective measures at absolute best (which isn't worth much).

If someone can provide this study, I'm all for looking at it and looking to understand the data behind it. Until then, I'm not really hearing anything that counters my point.

OK, I just some quick research and found that a notably higher % of Alabama HS students play football than Texas HS students. Possibly due to the larger percentage of hispanics in Texas.

Football is just a more popular and common thing for HS students to do in Alabama than in Texas, on a per capita basis. That's one data point for you.   

Edited by AngusMcFife
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, AngusMcFife said:

Not all rich guys in Texas are from Texas. They could have had lives anywhere and moved their to make or build their fortunes.

Mark Cuban is like the 12th richest person in Texas and he supports Hoosiers Basketball. Different sport, but still illustrates my point.

There has to be at least one person from Texas who is rich and lives out of state that still sends their financial support back home.

Rich people in Texas and rich people living in Texas could be boosting people anywhere, residential history isn't enough to make statements with any certainty about who the contribute to.