News & Notes: Offseason Edition V.2.0.

D82

2 hours ago, flyingmonkey30 said:

Not to get too far into the rabbit hole, but my buddy (who is a big KC fan) and I were discussing this last night. He seems to think it'll happen, but I don't. The reason being, Washington's team name had negative racial undertones, whereas the term "Chief" is one of prestige. The KC mascot is also an arrowhead as opposed to a Native American. So I dunno, it seems like it would be comparing apples to oranges in my opinion. But if there is something that I'm missing, I'd love to be filled in so I can better understand.

I haven’t really seen or heard too many people being bothered by the Chiefs nickname. 

2 hours ago, flyingmonkey30 said:

Not to get too far into the rabbit hole, but my buddy (who is a big KC fan) and I were discussing this last night. He seems to think it'll happen, but I don't. The reason being, Washington's team name had negative racial undertones, whereas the term "Chief" is one of prestige. The KC mascot is also an arrowhead as opposed to a Native American. So I dunno, it seems like it would be comparing apples to oranges in my opinion. But if there is something that I'm missing, I'd love to be filled in so I can better understand.

I agree with your rationale. However, I get the feeling this entire PC thing has gotten out of control. It isn't about "negative racial undertones" anymore, it's more about eradicating ANYTHING that can be linked to anything else that was considered non PC.

I feel the Braves, Indians, Blackhawks will also follow suit.

Again, I hope I'm wrong and we can leave it at Justice was served.

Edited by Rtnldave

13 minutes ago, Rtnldave said:

I agree with your rationale. However, I get the feeling this entire PC thing has gotten out of control. It isn't about "negative racial undertones" anymore, it's more about eradicating ANYTHING that can be linked to anything else that was considered non PC.

I feel the Braves, Indians, Blackhawks will also follow suit.

Again, I hope I'm wrong and we can leave it at Justice was served.

The indians changed their logo and that was that. The braves is a term of endearment. The Blackhawks are technically named after a navel ship that is named after a dude who gave them permission to call it blackhawk.

Redskins is a racial slur. If the Patriots changed to "Whiteskins", some team to "brownskins", 9ers to "yellowskins" (high population of Asians, its a slur) or the browns were like "in honor of Jim Brown, we are now the blackskins" everyone would lose their damn minds. Its 2020 man, there is no need for racism any more. And the fight against the Redskin name has been going on for ~25 years.

1 hour ago, Matts4313 said:

The indians changed their logo and that was that. The braves is a term of endearment. The Blackhawks are technically named after a navel ship that is named after a dude who gave them permission to call it blackhawk.

Redskins is a racial slur. If the Patriots changed to "Whiteskins", some team to "brownskins", 9ers to "yellowskins" (high population of Asians, its a slur) or the browns were like "in honor of Jim Brown, we are now the blackskins" everyone would lose their damn minds. Its 2020 man, there is no need for racism any more. And the fight against the Redskin name has been going on for ~25 years.

Everyone's entitled to their opinion.

4 minutes ago, Rtnldave said:

Everyone's entitled to their opinion.

Is this your new thing so you dont have argue me?!??!?! But here is a little timeline.

The Redskins started out as the Braves. Their super super racist owner (Preston Marshal) and general dbag renamed them. 

In the 60's he trademarks the term and almost immediately people were like "not an awsome name, dbag"

By 1972 Indian tribes started lodging official complaints.

This goes on for a while. In 1992 thousands of native americans held protest outside skins games. 

In 1993 the *US SENATORS* were attempting to pass laws against the team. 

This goes on and on for another 25 years.

So you cant blame this one on facebook and the PC crowd. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

Is this your new thing so you dont have argue me?!??!?! But here is a little timeline.

The Redskins started out as the Braves. Their super super racist owner (Preston Marshal) and general dbag renamed them. 

In the 60's he trademarks the term and almost immediately people were like "not an awsome name, dbag"

By 1972 Indian tribes started lodging official complaints.

This goes on for a while. In 1992 thousands of native americans held protest outside skins games. 

In 1993 the *US SENATORS* were attempting to pass laws against the team. 

This goes on and on for another 25 years.

So you cant blame this one on facebook and the PC crowd. 

Let’s refrain from talking about the history behind the Redskins name. If we’re going to discuss that subject, let’s keep it to possible new names and what not to avoid discussing things that we can’t on here.

1 minute ago, D82 said:

Let’s refrain from talking about the history behind the Redskins name. If we’re going to discuss that subject, let’s keep it to possible new names and what not to avoid discussing things that we can’t on here.

I think its pretty much settled. They are going to be the Redwolves.

You do realize this species of wolf is on the severely endangered list due to deforrestation and hunting them for their fur?

How dare a sports franchise exploit a species of animal that has been decimated by humans for the purpose of financial gain and progressive development of a land that was taken from its natural inhabitants including the red wolf which, as a result of this atrocity, there are less than 20, 20! remaining in the world!!!

I'm outraged!

• Like 1