News & Notes: Offseason Edition V.2.0.

D82

Just now, WizardHawk said:

LOL....once again Dallas has ****ed themselves. 

Yup! What ever negations where goin on, almost guaranteed they got put on hold by Daks agent. They are gonna wanna see the details from Mahomes new deal

4 hours ago, D82 said:

Well...Dak won. 

I'm going to guess the Mahomes' deal comes in at somewhere around $420-450 million.  If I'm Dak I gamble on myself and I play on the tender this year and next and then test the free agent waters, unless Dallas decides to go with a 4 year contract.

Edited by Northland

7 minutes ago, Northland said:

I'm going to guess the Mahomes' deal comes in at somewhere around $420-450 million.  If I'm Dak I gamble on myself and I play on the tender this year and next and then test the free agent waters, unless Dallas decides to go longer than 4 years duration on a contract.

The Cowboys wanted a 5 yr deal, it was Dak who wanted the four. I wonder if the terms of this deal change Dak's mind and he looks to sign a lengthier deal. I don't see it happening until next off-season though, at this point. He likely bets on himself yet again and plays out the tag. 

9 minutes ago, Northland said:

The key is Dallas ****ed themselves.  When contract negotiations  resume with new terms Dak will be portrayed as the enemy.  

Not unless my point a few months ago is true: that we never intended to sign him to a long term deal to begin with.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, plan9misfit said:
32 minutes ago, Northland said:

The key is Dallas ****ed themselves.  When contract negotiations  resume with new terms Dak will be portrayed as the enemy.  

Not unless my point a few months ago is true: that we never intended to sign him to a long term deal to begin with.

Would it be smart though? 

26 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

I've literally never, ever, ever seen the Cowboys butcher something so horrifically as they have with these negotiations. This is a f***ing trainwreck. 

Did they? Based on this, shouldnt Dak sign a longer term deal now?

Mahomes signed a 10 year extension while Dak didnt want to go from 4 to 5 years.

Depending on how the deal is structured, a 10 year deal may favour KC.

Or maybe @plan9misfit is right. Dallas never had an intention on signing Dak long term.

Edited by CAPJ

7 minutes ago, TheRealMcCoy said:

Would it be smart though? 

There's plenty of room to debate whether it is or isn't. In my opinion, much of it depends on the salary cap impact given the players the team will have to lose in order to have a QB absorb 17-20% of the cap every year.

1 hour ago, textaz03 said:

Yup! What ever negations where goin on, almost guaranteed they got put on hold by Daks agent. They are gonna wanna see the details from Mahomes new deal

At this point, I'm assuming there's bad blood with Dak in how this thing has been handled. The Cowboys, should've transitioned tagged Dak and let him test the market, receiving the two 1st round picks or matching the deal he found. Now after the Mahomes contract, I can't see the Cowboys F.O. paying Dak over 40 million/yr. to make him the highest paid QB in the NFL.

Outside of something drastic happening on July 15th, the Cowboys should have a succession plan in place for their next franchise QB.