Browns General Discussion

candyman93

4 minutes ago, DaWg_LB. said:

tenor.gif

tenor.gif?itemid=12010126

A non pass rushing DT, IMO, should not be taken in the first 2 rounds. Now, if you can get a guy who creates a lot of disruption in the interior and pass rush ability (Donald), then that's a very different story. Even Kenny Clark was a late first rounder and Chris Jones was a 2nd and Geno Atkins was a 4th Rounder.

For every Fletcher Cox, McCoy, and Suh, you get a Lawrence or a Shelton. 

1 minute ago, MWil23 said:

A non pass rushing DT, IMO, should not be taken in the first 2 rounds. Now, if you can get a guy who creates a lot of disruption in the interior and pass rush ability (Donald), then that's a very different story. Even Kenny Clark was a late first rounder and Chris Jones was a 2nd and Geno Atkins was a 4th Rounder.

For every Fletcher Cox, McCoy, and Suh, you get a Lawrence or a Shelton. 

You know I respect your opinion Good Brother.....I am opposite of that thinking though....the Dominant DT is ALWAYS in my sights (unless I run a 3-4), and I guess I'm just thinking about the  Buckner's, Oliver's, Simmons's, Wilkin's, Brown's, Cox's, Armstead's and McCoy's of the world.....

• Like 1

Just now, DaWg_LB. said:

You know I respect your opinion Good Brother.....I am opposite of that thinking though....the Dominant DT is ALWAYS in my sights (unless I run a 3-4), and I guess I'm just thinking about the  Buckner's, Oliver's, Simmons's, Wilkin's, Brown's, Cox's, Armstead's and McCoy's of the world.....

If there's a true DOMINANT DT that excels in pass rush, then I'm all for it. The guys who weigh 320+ on the other hand, I'm firmly passing on.

Donald and Oliver are 280, Kenny Clark is 310-315, Buckner is 295, etc.

The days of Gilbert Brown, Danny Shelton, etc. are over was my point, which I probably didn't make very well or clearly.

9 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

If there's a true DOMINANT DT that excels in pass rush, then I'm all for it. The guys who weigh 320+ on the other hand, I'm firmly passing on.

Donald and Oliver are 280, Kenny Clark is 310-315, Buckner is 295, etc.

The days of Gilbert Brown, Danny Shelton, etc. are over was my point, which I probably didn't make very well or clearly.

Derick Brown Aub) was my #3 Prospect overall in the draft last year, and he wasnt known for his pass rushing. He's 6'5" 325.

I also though Kinlaw was a 1rst round pick (6'4 315/320)

Would you have taken him (or either) in the first round? Just taking the most recent DT as an example.

Edited by DaWg_LB.

Just now, DaWg_LB. said:

Derick Brown was my #3 Prospect overall in the draft last year, and he wasnt known for his pass rushing.

Would you have taken him in the first round?

Absolutely

Top 5...probably not, but after the Top 7-8 or so, definitely. As in, if all 3 OT that I liked were gone, as was Young, Okudah, and Simmons, I'd definitely have been fine drafting him. That said, as long as you can accept having a comparable career to Gerard Warren or Big Daddy, in that they're "good", but not worth where you take them often times, but may end up being the next Aaron Donald (to be fair, this is my philosophy with off ball LB too).

On 9/22/2020 at 1:06 PM, candyman93 said:

Jordan Elliott is doing a great job as a rookie.

This is why PFF confuses me. I watched the whole game and don't remember a single time where the announcers called Elliot's name for doing something good. What the hell is the grading scale.

Did he have a TFL or two that I missed?

Edited by AkronsWitness

We could really use Jordan Elliot to ascend as a viable longterm player for us. And hopefully his ascension isn’t just an excuse for us to let Ogunjobi walk in free agency. Larry and Myles are a nice start, he could help solidify that group and cover up some of the mess behind those guys. 

8 hours ago, AkronsWitness said:

This is why PFF confuses me. I watched the whole game and don't remember a single time where the announcers called Elliot's name for doing something good. What the hell is the grading scale.

Did he have a TFL or two that I missed?

I think it’s his run defense.

Here's what PFF said about Elliott:

Elliott hasn't had too many dominant reps in his two weeks, but he has been consistent and has yet to make any bad mistakes. Elliott has earned a 78.2 PFF grade so far, 10th among all interior defensive linemen. And while Elliott has notched just one pressure, he has also won on 13% of his reps, which is a rate that cracks the top 25 at the position.

It's a similar story against the run. Elliott has no run stops — or even tackles — but he still ninth in run-defense grade because (a). he has yet to be sealed out of a gap and has yet to miss a tackle, and (b). he has had multiple defeated blocks that have caused some disruption for the ball carrier.

8 hours ago, NateDawg said:

We could really use Jordan Elliot to ascend as a viable longterm player for us. And hopefully his ascension isn’t just an excuse for us to let Ogunjobi walk in free agency. Larry and Myles are a nice start, he could help solidify that group and cover up some of the mess behind those guys. 

If anything it should allow them to move on from Richardson if need be.

Of course as things stand I want them to keep everyone as our defense is poo.

41 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

If anything it should allow them to move on from Richardson if need be.

You and jumping the gun on getting rid of Richardson. LOL :)

41 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Of course as things stand I want them to keep everyone as our defense is poo.

Keep everyone good, yes...so that's basically most of the DL (Vernon can walk) and maybe a couple LB for depth reasons...to go with Ward, Williams, and Delpit in the secondary, with us needing to draft at least 1-2 more DE, re-sign Larry O, draft about 17 off ball LB, and 2-3 DB.

24 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

You and jumping the gun on getting rid of Richardson. LOL :)

Keep everyone good, yes...so that's basically most of the DL (Vernon can walk) and maybe a couple LB for depth reasons...to go with Ward, Williams, and Delpit in the secondary, with us needing to draft at least 1-2 more DE, re-sign Larry O, draft about 17 off ball LB, and 2-3 DB.

I’m not trying to get rid of Richardson, but 13 million is rich for a decent DT. 😂 

Just now, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I’m not trying to get rid of Richardson, but 13 million is rich for a decent DT. 😂 

I'm not disagreeing, but let's look at numbers:

https://overthecap.com/calculator/cleveland-browns/

We may want to look at redoing Tretter's contract, along with Bitonio, giving them more guaranteed money NOW, and rolling over a lot more in 2022.

We need to re-sign Larry O, and then we let Joseph, Mitchell, and Vernon walk.

Even if Elliot is really good, I would hold onto Larry O and Richardson as long as possible.  You need 3 good players at that position.

It's a shame Vernon can't stay on the field, I think he's pretty underrated when he plays.  Gustin looks nice, hopefully the injury doesn't hamper Clayborne too much either.  Depth on d-line is so important.

• Like 1