Browns General Discussion

candyman93

2 hours ago, MWil23 said:

The Browns should honestly look at locking up Wyatt Teller while the iron is hot. He's absolutely dirt cheap through 2021, so there isn't a rush, except we could potentially look at going from a "monster deal" to a "really good deal" that guarantees him money now while saving us money long term if we're sold that he's that good. I'd be more inclined to pay him now and see what we could get as opposed to seeing how his entire 2020 goes.

https://overthecap.com/player/wyatt-teller/7051/

Year Age Base Salary   Cap
Number
Cap %  
Dead Money & Cap Savings
Cut (pre-June 1)Cut (post-June 1)Trade (pre-June 1)Trade (post-June 1)RestructureExtension 
Total   $2,240,000   $2,240,000
2019 25 $570,000   $570,000 0.2%      
2020 26 $750,000   $750,000 0.3%  
$0
$750,000
2021 27 $920,000   $920,000 0.4%  
$0
$920,000

That honestly is a STEAL of a contract, but I'd rather do something like offer him a 4 year $20 million extension with a lot of guaranteed cash to see if he bites on that.

With where the cap/contract values are and the fact that he's on the books for '21 as well already, I'm thinking a 3/$20 extension is more realistic, and I still see that being considered a steal. If for some reason he doesn't maintain top-notch play, he always had promise even when on the Bills and would be considered a value signing. I'd love a 4/$20 mil but consider that impossible (basically getting 6yrs/$22 mil for a player who is flashing big-time already--seems impossible).

Edited by NudeTayne

1 hour ago, ReggieCamp said:

Maybe Higgins will make his way onto the field now.

Or maybe not.

Njoku being (possibly) back might make for more TE-heavy sets.

higgins might be game day active but I doubt he plays unless their is injury

For the record, if I can lock Teller up for less than 10M a year right now, I do it. Especially if I can do it in a way that leaves his 2021 cap hit near where it is right now. I'm guessing the cap dips a good bit next year, but then rockets back up in 2022. As we continue to see cap inflation, 8-9M a year for an elite guard will be an absolute steal.

why does everyone want to lock Teller up right now? its been four games. Dude has been good but lets relax a little bit and see if he can keep the play up first. Outside of rookies. when have we seen a very below avg player suddenly become one of, if not, the best player at their position?

No problem extending him after the season, but to extend him now...lets see if his play levels out

17 minutes ago, buno67 said:

why does everyone want to lock Teller up right now? its been four games. Dude has been good but lets relax a little bit and see if he can keep the play up first. Outside of rookies. when have we seen a very below avg player suddenly become one of, if not, the best player at their position?

No problem extending him after the season, but to extend him now...lets see if his play levels out

Rather get him paid now when it might be cheaper than end of the season when it could be market setting. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FGK said:

For the record, if I can lock Teller up for less than 10M a year right now, I do it. Especially if I can do it in a way that leaves his 2021 cap hit near where it is right now. I'm guessing the cap dips a good bit next year, but then rockets back up in 2022. As we continue to see cap inflation, 8-9M a year for an elite guard will be an absolute steal.

Get a kareem hunt like deal save 25-30%

If he was playing this good and goes on the open market he gets 12-14 per year. 

Let's see if we can get him for 9. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, buno67 said:

well he isnt a FA at the end of the season....

That's the reason he might sign that deal now. If this was a contract year, IMO negotiations start at $10 mil per and probably end up substantially north. We're all thinking like these analytics foos.

• Like 2

Just now, NudeTayne said:

That's the reason he might sign that deal now. If this was a contract year, IMO negotiations start at $10 mil per and probably end up substantially north. We're all thinking like these analytics foos.

you think they are thinking about signing a guy to a decent contract for only 4 great games? lets see if he can piece together a whole season

17 minutes ago, NudeTayne said:

Optimal time to float a security balloon to him.

I mean a big payday today is worth a hell of a lot more than a maybe big payday down the road.

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, buno67 said:

you think they are thinking about signing a guy to a decent contract for only 4 great games? lets see if he can piece together a whole season

Sincerely, @bundorsey

Truly bun. Gotta make sure we pay top dollar for "a sure thing" (see: veteran overpays).

• Like 1