Browns General Discussion

candyman93

26 minutes ago, BrownsDog23 said:

Hopefully the Browns at a least one big splash FA signing, I really like Leonard Williams

Williams seems best suited for a 3-4 scheme, so I think I'd pass.

Unfortunately, I don't think there's many big name defensive FAs that make much sense for us. Simmons is a possibility, but we have Delpit coming back so I'm not sure how much the front office will make safety a priority. And while I'd love a guy like Lavonte David, he's definitely getting older.

I'd like to get Mike Hilton from Pittsburgh. He wouldn't break the bank and would be a good slot corner.

1 hour ago, BrownsDog23 said:

Hopefully the Browns at a least one big splash FA signing, I really like Leonard Williams

31 minutes ago, DawgX said:

Williams seems best suited for a 3-4 scheme, so I think I'd pass.

Unfortunately, I don't think there's many big name defensive FAs that make much sense for us. Simmons is a possibility, but we have Delpit coming back so I'm not sure how much the front office will make safety a priority. And while I'd love a guy like Lavonte David, he's definitely getting older.

I'd like to get Mike Hilton from Pittsburgh. He wouldn't break the bank and would be a good slot corner.

With how many draft picks we have and all the big signings last year, I could see this year as the fallow year where we only assign bargain contracts after the compensatory-triggering period. We re-sign guys like Baker and Chubb this year and set up next year to have big money available to sign free agents. The big question is what we do with Ward after next year if he gets banged up again. 

Also, I'll make a somewhat redundant post pointing out it's time to re-sign Chubb and Baker ASAP. I would even extend another year at 6.5 mil to Kareem to keep this unit together at least three more seasons. Our OL is mostly stable so this unit can become historic together. I'm rooting for ODBJ to come back healthy to his original form in 2021 and to compete with KC for the best offense. We can do it.

• Like 1

I think with our cap room I'd like to see us frontload a couple of our big upcoming extensions and do modest upgrades to 3-4 places on the defense (LB, DT, DE) as well as upgrading our overall depth on defense. Our schedule will be harder in 2021, which will make us a natural pick for regression, but between the draft capital we have and our cap space, our defensive roster might be way, way better next year.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, FGK said:

I think with our cap room I'd like to see us frontload a couple of our big upcoming extensions and do modest upgrades to 3-4 places on the defense (LB, DT, DE) as well as upgrading our overall depth on defense. Our schedule will be harder in 2021, which will make us a natural pick for regression, but between the draft capital we have and our cap space, our defensive roster might be way, way better next year.

We definitely have the resources to improve it. However, you don't want to trot out a bunch of rookies on defense next year, and there's not a ton of big name defensive free agents who make sense for us, IMO. I think we'll be more likely to sign 2-3 good but not necessarily big named defensive free agents rather than any major signings.

Initial thoughts on Kansas City:

1. They are extremely fast. You can’t simulate their speed during practice. Tyreek needs to be double teamed from start to finish. I think Denzel can keep up with Watkins.

2. Kelce is the scariest weapon on the entire team.

3. They don’t have a pass rush outside of Chris Jones. That entire front 7 is just run stuffers. They’re bend but don’t break defensively.

9 hours ago, candyman93 said:

Initial thoughts on Kansas City:

1. They are extremely fast. You can’t simulate their speed during practice. Tyreek needs to be double teamed from start to finish. I think Denzel can keep up with Watkins.

2. Kelce is the scariest weapon on the entire team.

3. They don’t have a pass rush outside of Chris Jones. That entire front 7 is just run stuffers. They’re bend but don’t break defensively.

IMO, and this is easier said than done, I'd have our DE play more contain on Mahomes than pure rush, unless Myles is able to play like his old self (doubtful), and I'd force them to commit to the run on a personnel level and play an extra DB almost exclusively. If they want to hand off the ball 30+ times, then hat's off.

I'd utilize Phillips, Goodson, and Takitaki on a rotational basis, with one of them underneath on Kelce, then hopefully Harrison over the top on him. 

I'd allocate the extra safety over the top on Hill with Mitchell as the CB, and I'd matchup Ward in man on the outside in single WR situations on that "other guy" or even Hill.

Ultimately, we need to dominate TOP and play offensively the way that this team has in our other big matchups. We cannot afford to settle for field goals, or we are going to lose.

The one thing that we have in our favor, is that KC has had to settle for a LOT of FG. Bend but don't break may play into our favor...which will be frustrating for us to watch live...but it's our best bet IMO.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

IMO, and this is easier said than done, I'd have our DE play more contain on Mahomes than pure rush, unless Myles is able to play like his old self (doubtful), and I'd force them to commit to the run on a personnel level and play an extra DB almost exclusively. If they want to hand off the ball 30+ times, then hat's off.

I'd utilize Phillips, Goodson, and Takitaki on a rotational basis, with one of them underneath on Kelce, then hopefully Harrison over the top on him. 

I'd allocate the extra safety over the top on Hill with Mitchell as the CB, and I'd matchup Ward in man on the outside in single WR situations on that "other guy" or even Hill.

Ultimately, we need to dominate TOP and play offensively the way that this team has in our other big matchups. We cannot afford to settle for field goals, or we are going to lose.

The one thing that we have in our favor, is that KC has had to settle for a LOT of FG. Bend but don't break may play into our favor...which will be frustrating for us to watch live...but it's our best bet IMO.

I would fully embrace this approach. My only concern is Ward being 100% and his usual self. We have seen Myles struggle since coming back and hope it doesn't have the same impact to Ward. 

13 hours ago, DawgX said:

We definitely have the resources to improve it. However, you don't want to trot out a bunch of rookies on defense next year, and there's not a ton of big name defensive free agents who make sense for us, IMO. I think we'll be more likely to sign 2-3 good but not necessarily big named defensive free agents rather than any major signings.

Berry said what he learned from the Eagles was if there was a guy out there you want, go get him at no matter the cost.

Because of that I think the Browns will be super aggressive with one or two guys but also not go overboard to maintain flexible cap room.

As far as our own, I think Chubb gets extended in the offseason and they pick up Bakers 5th year option. I think the surprise is that they dont give Baker a mega-extention and wait another year.

Edited by AkronsWitness

14 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

Berry said what he learned from the Eagles was if there was a guy out there you want, go get him at no matter the cost.

Because of that I think the Browns will be super aggressive with one or two guys but also not go overboard to maintain flexible cap room.

As far as our own, I think Chubb gets extended in the offseason and they pick up Bakers 5th year option. I think the surprise is that they dont give Baker a mega-extention and wait another year.

Wouldn't be a surprise to me. I think they want Baker to keep playing at a high level again next year before they fully commit to him.