Browns General Discussion

candyman93

6 minutes ago, DaWg_LB. said:

A couple of players I am really looking forward to seeing in training camp are the young guys I'm looking to honestly see something from. I know our secondary looks good at this moment, but who is going to be that 5th CB.....the kid we broke the previous record with "for signing bonus for an UDFA" CB AJ Green out of Okla St. last year, it would be really good if he stepped up this year. I am also a huge fan of Curtis Weaver, I had him with a 2nd day grade coming out of Boise State in 2019...if this kid plays like he did there and improves like he did all 3 years at B. St., he could give us a starting caliber DE in our rotation. And last but not least Sheldrick Redwine, he was a good player Miami, versatile safety/slot CB...we will play a LOT of 3 man safety looks this year I think...and that means we need to keep 5 safeties and be at least 3 deep at starter and 2 deep as rotational safeties, Redwine could plug in at FS and Slot Safety I think we will be in solid situation, to alter looks, and to sustain injuries. 

Completely agree on AJ Green. I'll even go so far as to say if no one steps up to take the 5th CB job, we may even sign someone. We have Ward, Greedy, Troy Hill, and Newsome as locks, but we really do need a reliable 5th CB. Hopefully it's someone on the roster, but I won't be shocked if we go to the well one more time.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, DaWg_LB. said:

I am also a huge fan of Curtis Weaver, I had him with a 2nd day grade coming out of Boise State in 2019...if this kid plays like he did there and improves like he did all 3 years at B. St., he could give us a starting caliber DE in our rotation. 

His issue coming out was his physique tbh, he looked soft and sloppy.

I heard on a podcast somewhere around draft time that he’s been one of the biggest surprises of the offseason as apparently he really transformed his body and put in work there. 

He could always play, but if he’s stronger and quicker, now he’s cooking with gas.

• Like 1

Training camp wise, I’m interested in hearing how the secondary looks more than anything. They should be pound for pound the most talented unit on the roster, but talent doesn’t mean much if you’re not playing. Johnson is a top 5 safety and Denzel is a top 5 CB when he plays. I love Newsomes potential too.

Also want to know how Clowney looks.

Edited by candyman93

5 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

His issue coming out was his physique tbh, he looked soft and sloppy.

I heard on a podcast somewhere around draft time that he’s been one of the biggest surprises of the offseason as apparently he really transformed his body and put in work there. 

He could always play, but if he’s stronger and quicker, now he’s cooking with gas.

If the Browns can tap into those quick twitch muscles, he would be an absolute steal. That was literally the only thing missing with his game

• Like 1

7 hours ago, DaWg_LB. said:

A couple of players I am really looking forward to seeing in training camp are the young guys I'm looking to honestly see something from. I know our secondary looks good at this moment, but who is going to be that 5th CB.....the kid we broke the previous record with "for signing bonus for an UDFA" CB AJ Green out of Okla St. last year, it would be really good if he stepped up this year. I am also a huge fan of Curtis Weaver, I had him with a 2nd day grade coming out of Boise State in 2019...if this kid plays like he did there and improves like he did all 3 years at B. St., he could give us a starting caliber DE in our rotation. And last but not least Sheldrick Redwine, he was a good player Miami, versatile safety/slot CB...we will play a LOT of 3 man safety looks this year I think...and that means we need to keep 5 safeties and be at least 3 deep at starter and 2 deep as rotational safeties, Redwine could plug in at FS and Slot Safety I think we will be in solid situation, to alter looks, and to sustain injuries. 

Don't know Weaver as a starting DE. Good rotational guy is his ceiling, methinks.

Not sold on Redwine at all. He had ample chance to step-up and didn't. Dunno why but I get the sense he is lacking between his ears. Would rather see LeCounte come through.

Almost feel the same way about Green although I hope to God I am wrong. Seem to remember that he had an injury issue that was part of the problem, but he also had a chance to step up and didn't. Hell, iirc we went with Robert Freakin' Jackson, instead.

Just now, bruceb said:

Don't know Weaver as a starting DE. Good rotational guy is his ceiling, methinks.

I think that’s the idea, at least at first.  Just a rotational guy, 3rd or 4th DE who plays in primarily passing situations.

Just now, bruceb said:

Not sold on Redwine at all. He had ample chance to step-up and didn't. Dunno why but I get the sense he is lacking between his ears. Would rather see LeCounte come through.

I liked him a lot when we grabbed him, but I tend to agree.  Maybe things click year 3, but so far I’ve been less than impressed.

Just now, bruceb said:

Almost feel the same way about Green although I hope to God I am wrong. Seem to remember that he had an injury issue that was part of the problem, but he also had a chance to step up and didn't. Hell, iirc we went with Robert Freakin' Jackson, instead.

Green was a rookie in a wonky year.  I think there’s still a chance he’s able to contribute in a meaningful way.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I think that’s the idea, at least at first.  Just a rotational guy, 3rd or 4th DE who plays in primarily passing situations.

I liked him a lot when we grabbed him, but I tend to agree.  Maybe things click year 3, but so far I’ve been less than impressed.

Green was a rookie in a wonky year.  I think there’s still a chance he’s able to contribute in a meaningful way.

tenor.png

Definitely not about to go to the defense of players who are still proving themselves. The one I am highest on is Curtis Weaver, he was an absolute MONSTER at Boise State, and did it as a freshman. Now I KNOW its not the SEC, but he was a good looking prospect.

Redwine and Green I feel the way @LETSGOBROWNIES does about those two. Potential, but no bullets down range yet. Biggest person that fits in this category, that has already been spoke about is Marvin Wilson....I have no idea how he went Undrafted. This is the most I've been excited about an UDFA since Isaiah Crowell out of Alabama St. (ex-Georgia)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X3VIFo8tNR4

Edited by DaWg_LB.
  • Like 2

Johnson shuts down Kelce and Andrew's Browns go 14 wins 2 losses we get home field advantage for the whole playoffs. 

The Browns from will inform the rest of the league this is the new house of pain.

It is that simple no if and burs candy and nuts. 

Keep posting up enjoy the reads. 

• Like 5

30 minutes ago, mtmmike said:

Johnson shuts down Kelce and Andrew's Browns go 14 wins 2 losses we get home field advantage for the whole playoffs. 

The Browns from will inform the rest of the league this is the new house of pain.

It is that simple no if and burs candy and nuts. 

Keep posting up enjoy the reads. 

Yeah, what he said

• Like 3

Whereas, the team's star wide receivers—Odell Beckham Jr. and Jarvis Landry—hold a combined $31.6 million salary-cap charge for the 2022 campaign. Only $1.5 million of dead cap space still exists on both contracts after this season. 

Those 2 are getting replaced next year. Case Keenum is probably gone too, freeing up 6.5 mil. That’s puts us at 40 mil+.

If the staff feels Nick Harris is ready, Tretter would free up another 8 mil.

1 hour ago, candyman93 said:

Those 2 are getting replaced next year. Case Keenum is probably gone too, freeing up 6.5 mil. That’s puts us at 40 mil+.

If the staff feels Nick Harris is ready, Tretter would free up another 8 mil.

Harris looked light years away last year