Browns General Discussion

candyman93

10 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

That’s fair, but both are 4-5 years older also and have had time to develop their bodies.

I don’t think anyone expected Harris to be the best available guy last year, hence being a developmental player.  That said, if he’s able to recomposition his body and keep his movement skills and ability, he’ll likely be a far better player than either of those two. 

All I’m saying is you can’t look at a single rookie season worth of tape on a young, developmental player and come to any conclusions.

At least we have positive competition across the back of the line, the rookie hubbard, forbes, hence dunn, and harris all present some quality

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Kiwibrown said:

At least we have positive competition across the back of the line, the rookie hubbard, forbes, hence dunn, and harris all present some quality

We legitimately have 11-12 linemen currently on the roster that I hope make it for the season. They all won't, there isn't space, but just having that many guys is insane! Like, I think our starters are the best OL starters in the league, but I think we ALSO have the DEEPEST line in the league. Crazy man, this roster is ready. If Baker is 2nd half of the year Baker we will be a true SB contender and top 4-5 power rankings team all year.

20 minutes ago, FGK said:

We legitimately have 11-12 linemen currently on the roster that I hope make it for the season. They all won't, there isn't space, but just having that many guys is insane! Like, I think our starters are the best OL starters in the league, but I think we ALSO have the DEEPEST line in the league. Crazy man, this roster is ready. If Baker is 2nd half of the year Baker we will be a true SB contender and top 4-5 power rankings team all year.

xpyka9v4h4ke5xexsp3p.gif

16 hours ago, Kiwibrown said:

I'm not sure why I didnt think of it before, but a strong comp for scwartz would be teddy finn imo. 

Similar heights with great speed. Scwartz has been timed faster, but tracks have got better.

Ginn was a better all around football player than Schwartz tho. Ginn was a HS DPOY his senior year, All-American WR and returner in college.

A comp doesnt stick out yet to me for Schwartz just yet. I wouldnt say Ginn tho. Maybe if you look at size and they were both track guys but Ginn was a lot more fluid then Schwartz. If I watch Ginn's college highlights and schwartz, they dont dont compare.

Your post made me look up and compare their track numbers. Schwartz would smoke Ginn in a sprint in their primes, which is crazy. I think ginns best 60 was 7.98, 100 was 10.5, and 200 21.6. Schwartz was 60 in 6.59, 100 in 10.09, and 200 20.47.

Also another thing that shows Ginn was more fluid was his ability as hurdler runner. They said Ginn could have been an Olympic hurdler. Schwartz is just a pure sprinter when it comes to track stuff. To me that shows someone who has the hip movement. Think that is why he was a great corner and returner.

In the end, all we need out of Schwartz this year is to house a deep pass earlier and/or take an end around for a house call. If he dones one of those things, its going to open up the offense

On 7/16/2021 at 3:57 PM, FGK said:

Excellent point if we beat KC right out of the gate we probably go to 1.

• Like 1

On 7/16/2021 at 5:57 PM, FGK said:

We need to keep Wyatt, Jack, and Jedrick until they’re around 32.

I think James Hudson eventually plays guard. He plays nasty and he’s incredibly athletic.

11 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

We need to keep Wyatt, Jack, and Jedrick until they’re around 32.

I think James Hudson eventually plays guard. He plays nasty and he’s incredibly athletic.

The big questions are going to be:

1. How much money are we putting into the OL from year to year? When do we have to start going with a backup who is only 80% as good because he's gonna cost 10% of the starter's salary? My guess is 2023 but we could see one casualty to this next year.

2. Which of the high quality backups do we keep, which do we cut, and can we get value from the ones we are gonna have to cut or try to sneak onto the PS eventually. We can probably only keep MAX three of the five bubble guys. So of the guys below on the bubble, who can we get value from?

Guys who are safe this year - Wills, Bitonio, Tretter, Teller, Conklin (obviously on all), Hudson, Hubbard
Roster bubble - Nick Harris, Drew Forbes, Michael Dunn, Blake Hance, Alex Taylor

35 minutes ago, FGK said:

How much money are we putting into the OL from year to year? When do we have to start going with a backup who is only 80% as good because he's gonna cost 10% of the starter's salary? My guess is 2023 but we could see one casualty to this next year.

I understand being cost efficient, but it’s always going to be difficult getting all pro caliber talent. You can always draft a bunch of good and serviceable players.

It’s what I’ve liked about the Steelers and Ravens models. For a long time they decided “we will always have a elite front 7” and are willing to be weak in other areas.

I mentioned it before, but be like the Skins of the 80’s and Broncos of 90’s. Those teams weren’t stacked top to bottom. They had all time great o-lines and let that be their identity. Not ignoring that you need strong QB play too of course.

4 hours ago, candyman93 said:

It’s what I’ve liked about the Steelers and Ravens models. For a long time they decided “we will always have a elite front 7” and are willing to be weak in other areas.

Yeah, but the way they did this (especially Baltimore) was that they would draft their OLB/DE/DT of the future in the 3rd/4th round, develop them for two years, let the old guy walk in FA to get a comp pick, have the new guy take over. Eventually we'll have to start doing that because we simply won't be able to pay everyone.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FGK said:

Yeah, but the way they did this (especially Baltimore) was that they would draft their OLB/DE/DT of the future in the 3rd/4th round, develop them for two years, let the old guy walk in FA to get a comp pick, have the new guy take over. Eventually we'll have to start doing that because we simply won't be able to pay everyone.

Pay Suggs but let Judon walk and they cost about the same. Works brilliantly. 

The old browns didnt even get a judon to over pay.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, FGK said:

Yep, this is proper roster management and why having 8-10 picks every year is important.

Allowing a guy 2 years on the bench before starting allows them time to develop while also allowing for 2 years of cost controlled talent on the back end of the rookie deal.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, FGK said:

You have to have superstars also to be able to pull that off.