Browns General Discussion

candyman93

On 7/7/2020 at 7:19 PM, DizzyDean said:

Is that the moneyball thing to do?  I don’t think so.  I will get raked over the coals for this by fans thinking with emotion and not their heads, but here is what I think happens in our RB room.  Chubb will go off and dominate the league this year and next.  Hunt will have a very good year this year as a weapon type of player that is all over the field.  Both are all pro talents.  Hunt will be extended after this year for a long term middle of the road RB type of contract which will be a bargain honestly.  After the 2021 season they will let Chubb walk and sign elsewhere for the largest RB contract in the league which will bring us a nice comp pick.  Then in 2022 Hunt takes over as the primary back.

I agree.

I know the following is a weird line of thinking but it's my gut feeling:

I think we want to sign/extend Hunt to create more leverage in our talks with Chubb. If Chubb wants too much, we let him walk and happily stick with Hunt. If Chubb is willing to come back for a reasonable deal, we'll bring him back even if it means having to move on from Hunt (not that we'd want to) to do so.

2 hours ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

We’re not getting hunt for cheap. Someone will sign him. Once he’s another year away from his incident and looks good for a whole year there will be a market for him. 

Where does this word cheap come from?  I certainly did not say that.  I said middle of the pack money.  Also Hunt is on record saying that he wants to finish his career here.  After all, we are his home team.  We gave him a chance when no other team would.  A middle of the pack contract is very generous for a player that is not starting at the time of the contract.  He would know most likely that the starting b wood be his soon.  Plus getting your home town team a championship and helping to break the curse would also be pretty special I imagine.  Granted, most players do want to break the bank.  There are exceptions.  Look at Sammy Watkins.  I quote “how much money do I need anyway” after taking a pay cut to help the team.

Chubb on the other hand does not have the same incentive to stay, and if he performs as expected he will be the highest paid back in the league.  For the one that said Hint would be leverage to keep Chubb, I don’t think so.  Moneyball devalues the RB position.  We won’t be the team that gives Chubb that contract if we have another pro bowl talent on a good contract at the position.

On 7/7/2020 at 7:19 PM, DizzyDean said:

Is that the moneyball thing to do?  I don’t think so.  I will get raked over the coals for this by fans thinking with emotion and not their heads, but here is what I think happens in our RB room.  Chubb will go off and dominate the league this year and next.  Hunt will have a very good year this year as a weapon type of player that is all over the field.  Both are all pro talents.  Hunt will be extended after this year for a long term middle of the road RB type of contract which will be a bargain honestly.  After the 2021 season they will let Chubb walk and sign elsewhere for the largest RB contract in the league which will bring us a nice comp pick.  Then in 2022 Hunt takes over as the primary back.

So you want to potentially let the best RB, at least top3 RB in the league to walk for a delayed 3rd rd pick? Hell Duke got a 3rd rd pick...If Chubb solidfies himself as a top3 back this season and the ceiling is only to go up, you keep him.

If Hunt plays well and signs that long term middle of the road RB type contract, that he should greatly out play the value of, you trade him cause he is going to have greater trade value. 

There are 5 RBs making $10m or more: Zeke, Henery, CMC, Bell, and Johnson. He will prolly want a contract like them  or better but the Browns could also live a few extra years by franchise tagging him and getting him for around $10-$12m a season. Franchise tagging Chubb would be the money ball thing to do actually if you think about it. 

If Chubb wasnt flirting with the best RB in the league, I would totally agree with your train of thought. You just cant let the potentially best player at their position walk. By the time Chubb should be in line of signing that contract, the browns should be moving on from the duo of Landry and OBJ. Hell you run the cap extremely tight in '22. The following offseason, you move on from Landry and OBJ because that could be a savings close to $30m. If the running game is working as well as it is, you are able to break in some younger WRs, while you kill teams on the ground. Potentailly when those young WRs develop, should be the time to potentially move on from Chubb and you can break in a younger RB 

1 hour ago, DizzyDean said:

Where does this word cheap come from?  I certainly did not say that.  I said middle of the pack money.  Also Hunt is on record saying that he wants to finish his career here.  After all, we are his home team.  We gave him a chance when no other team would.  A middle of the pack contract is very generous for a player that is not starting at the time of the contract.  He would know most likely that the starting b wood be his soon.  Plus getting your home town team a championship and helping to break the curse would also be pretty special I imagine.  Granted, most players do want to break the bank.  There are exceptions.  Look at Sammy Watkins.  I quote “how much money do I need anyway” after taking a pay cut to help the team.

Chubb on the other hand does not have the same incentive to stay, and if he performs as expected he will be the highest paid back in the league.  For the one that said Hint would be leverage to keep Chubb, I don’t think so.  Moneyball devalues the RB position.  We won’t be the team that gives Chubb that contract if we have another pro bowl talent on a good contract at the position.

This means nothing. Absolutely nothing at all. Players say they want to stay all the time and end up leaving. He’s going to take the most money he can like everyone else. Never ever ever believe a player when they say something like this. Or anyone in sports for that matter. 

8 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

I think the NFL can happen, but college football is so screwed.

This is about where I’m at.

NFL can do what they want, but college is at the mercy of the the universities and I just don’t see them getting things up and running.  

Could be wrong, certainly hope to be from a selfish standpoint, but with things still headed in the wrong direction, I’m just skeptical.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

This is about where I’m at.

NFL can do what they want, but college is at the mercy of the the universities and I just don’t see them getting things up and running.  

Could be wrong, certainly hope to be from a selfish standpoint, but with things still headed in the wrong direction, I’m just skeptical.

Due to the liability / potential lawsuits...I would have zero surprise if the teams start saying thanks but no thanks, forcing conferences to cancel the season.....then the NCAA will make their statement.

The NCAA won't make a comment one way or the other until a blue blood or two says the will not field a team this year.
Heck, they will probably hold out hope until there are less than 10 eligible schools that are willing to hold any semblance of a fall season.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, malibuspeedrace said:

Due to the liability / potential lawsuits...I would have zero surprise if the teams start saying thanks but no thanks, forcing conferences to cancel the season.....then the NCAA will make their statement.

The NCAA won't make a comment one way or the other until a blue blood or two says the will not field a team this year.
Heck, they will probably hold out hope until there are less than 10 eligible schools that are willing to hold any semblance of a fall season.

Pretty much how I see it going as well.

NCAA will force the schools to do their job for them.