Browns General Discussion

candyman93

51 minutes ago, Rod Johnson said:

Yeah, but on the other hand with Jarvis he can't really afford to lose a step

Yeah as soon as his short area quickness is gone--its over.  I don't really expect that to stick with him past 33.

As far as OBJ, I just get the feeling this front office isn't tied to him. I feel like he's only here still because they couldn't find a good enough trade package. I can't explain it but he just doesn't seem like a core guy they really care about long term, almost like he's a rental and everyone knows it.

When I think of the Browns I think of Chubb, Ward, Baker, Garrett and Landry. OBJ is just sort of.....here.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, AkronsWitness said:

Yeah as soon as his short area quickness is gone--its over.  I don't really expect that to stick with him past 33.

As far as OBJ, I just get the feeling this front office isn't tied to him. I feel like he's only here still because they couldn't find a good enough trade package. I can't explain it but he just doesn't seem like a core guy they really care about long term, almost like he's a rental and everyone knows it.

When I think of the Browns I think of Chubb, Ward, Baker, Garrett and Landry. OBJ is just sort of.....here.

Obj wants to be a hall of Famer,and I think that he realizes his stock is pretty low, he is at least going to be motivated to have a great season, if he isnt crazy I think he puts up 1.2-1.4k yards if he plays 17 games.

Our offense is too talented overall for anyone player to dominate and get like 1500 or more yards as a reciever. I'm not sure how is his ego will fit into a team that sees a lot of guys get touches.

16 minutes ago, ReggieCamp said:

I guess Ivy Leaguers are like CB's. You can never have enough.

I don't know anyone who went to an Ivy league schools but all the people I know who went to some pretty nice schools were able to network way better than I was at UT.

If OBJ has a monster year, you keep him. If Jarvis has another 1000 yard season, you keep him. You also keep Wyatt Teller.

In this scenario, the guys you try to move on from are Joel and JC Tretter. You trust that Callahan can work his magic and have Nick Harris ready to play center. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, JDD said:

I don't know anyone who went to an Ivy league schools but all the people I know who went to some pretty nice schools were able to network way better than I was at UT.

I dont know, I went to BG (long live Myles and Brathaus till I die) and I run into people still where we have the whole "Wait, you went to Bowling Green, ME TOO!" and you earn instant credibility with that person.

Its never gotten me a job or anything like that but I have probably ran into 10-15 BG alumni in my professional career and its always a good conversation. We instantly become homies because thems the rules.

Everybody that I know who is a OSU grad just works at hospitals downtown or works at a bank as a financial advisor. Its like becoming a nurse or financial advisor are the only 2 degrees that school offers.

Edited by AkronsWitness
  • Like 1

On 8/11/2021 at 1:01 AM, Rod Johnson said:

Yeah, but on the other hand with Jarvis he can't really afford to lose a step

Hell, we might see a Jarvis this year that picked up a step. Jarvis made it sound like he bulked up cause the way he was used in Miami and kinda carried that style over to Cleveland. He said he is around 195, the lightest he has been since his 2nd yr in the league. He stated he finished the season around 213lbs last year

2 hours ago, buno67 said:

Hell, we might see a Jarvis this year that picked up a step. Jarvis made it sound like he bulked up cause the way he was used in Miami and kinda carried that style over to Cleveland. He said he is around 195, the lightest he has been since his 2nd yr in the league. He stated he finished the season around 213lbs last year

I hope it pays off for him.

He’s still got quick feet and good short area burst, but his long speed was something awful last season.

He’s never gonna be a burner but I feel like he couldn’t run away from linebackers last season.

3 hours ago, buno67 said:

That's good to hear....the last time he was 195 he caught 110 passes.....

16 hours ago, AkronsWitness said:

I dont know, I went to BG (long live Myles and Brathaus till I die) and I run into people still where we have the whole "Wait, you went to Bowling Green, ME TOO!" and you earn instant credibility with that person.

Its never gotten me a job or anything like that but I have probably ran into 10-15 BG alumni in my professional career and its always a good conversation. We instantly become homies because thems the rules.

Everybody that I know who is a OSU grad just works at hospitals downtown or works at a bank as a financial advisor. Its like becoming a nurse or financial advisor are the only 2 degrees that school offers.

Yeah except the Ivy league guys are hiring other Ivy league guys to run NFL teams. Not brag about some average pizza (This was 100% meant to trigger you 😜 )

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I mean, let’s be honest, would you hire a BG alum to run an NFL team?

If they knew what was good for them they would.

BGSU, the silicone valley of the MidWest, Ive always said that. It also just so happens to be home to the single greatest pizza establishment to ever grace this earth.

Edited by AkronsWitness
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, candyman93 said:

If OBJ has a monster year, you keep him. If Jarvis has another 1000 yard season, you keep him. You also keep Wyatt Teller.

In this scenario, the guys you try to move on from are Joel and JC Tretter. You trust that Callahan can work his magic and have Nick Harris ready to play center. 

I am very much in the camp if Wyatt Teller was as good as he was last year, you make it a priority to keep him, which might mean some of the money comes from Joel Bitonio's contract.  Hes got a 10 million dollar cap hit with zero dead money.  I also think Wyatt Teller was more important to the team last year than Bitonio was.  When Teller was out we couldn't run the ball as effectively.  When Bitonio was out Michael Dunn looked great at LG against a great defensive interior.

I also agree that JC Tretter's time in cleveland is coming to an end.  We drafted Nick Harris I think as the eventual replacement and I agree that you trust Callahan to work his magic and get offensive linemen to replace the older gentlemen on the team.

That being said I just don't see OBJ or Jarvis as long term on this team.  When we end up paying Baker, I think his money comes from their salaries.  Mayfield is going to get a 30 million dollar raise, and OBJ just happens to cost 15 million a year with no dead money, as well as Landry who will save us 15 million with 1.5 in dead money next year if we let him go.  I personally think we end up drafting a WR in the first or second round next year, give an extension to Higgins to reward him for sticking it out with us, and let the drafted player, DPJ, Shwartz and Higgins with Hodge battle it out for the wide receiving core of the future.  The whole point of our strategy should be to draft players to replace expensive players, and unfortunately Baker has shown he can throw to just about anyone as long as he has the chemistry with them.  I would be pretty suprised to see either OBJ or Landry on the roster next year, I would be SHOCKED to see them both...

My opinion if OBJ has a monster year, that's the perfect situation to me, trade him and get something for him.

Edited by CBrownsman