Browns General Discussion

candyman93

1 hour ago, Kiwibrown said:

His contract makes him hard to move, dead money throughout. He stays even if average.

Yeah we would have to trade him to someone that is willing to pay him 9.5 per year, it may have to be him and a 4th for a 6th type deal just to get out of the contract. Or just cut him next year, save 2 million towards the cap and be done with him.

1 hour ago, Thomas5737 said:

Yeah we would have to trade him to someone that is willing to pay him 9.5 per year, it may have to be him and a 4th for a 6th type deal just to get out of the contract. Or just cut him next year, save 2 million towards the cap and be done with him.

He definitely hasn’t lived up to his contract 

43 minutes ago, ReggieCamp said:

Nice article on Andrew Berry.

He’s proven 2 years in a row that if he sees a obvious weakness, he hammers the ish out of it in the offseason. He also understands how pass happy the league is and has invested heavily into the secondary.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, NateDawg said:

He’s been great. Really wish we’d have strengthened the LB position a bit more but can’t fix everything I guess. 

He has attempted too at least, signed Malcolm Smith good cover LB, Anthony Walker, leader type, JOK and Tony Feilds who fit the scheme and will offer a lot ST. That is better than over paying Schobert or an expensive trade. 

• Like 5

16 hours ago, NateDawg said:

He’s been great. Really wish we’d have strengthened the LB position a bit more but can’t fix everything I guess. 

I understand this but I do think our linebacking core will be much better this year.

Takitaki was actually VERY good vs the run last year.  I thought our best LB was Malcom Smith who we brought back.  We added JOK.  I thought replacing BJ Goodson with Anthony Walker was also an upgrade.

Not world beaters, but I thought we got the best linebacker for us in the draft and only had to give a 2nd to do it.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, CBrownsman said:

I understand this but I do think our linebacking core will be much better this year.

Takitaki was actually VERY good vs the run last year.  I thought our best LB was Malcom Smith who we brought back.  We added JOK.  I thought replacing BJ Goodson with Anthony Walker was also an upgrade.

Not world beaters, but I thought we got the best linebacker for us in the draft and only had to give a 2nd to do it.

Yeah, I mean, Berry has actually tried.  He drafted Phillips in R3, JOK in R2, maintained some continuity with coaching for the young guys, upgraded Goodson with Walker.

It’s not super flashy, but there are multiple upgrades.

I also think it’s possible that all of the linebackers look much better with an improved DL in front of them and a hugely improved secondary behind them.  They’re going to be asked to do less.

so a side tangent for a second...

I'm probably hyping him up way too much, but is anyone else as excited as I am for what Malik McDowell can do?!?!

He's had his problems in the past, but he was being talked about like Erik Armstead and Deforest Buckner when he came out.  If we can get that kind of production from the defensive interior that is a game changer.

One of the biggest game changers for a defense is a pass rush from the inside.  The rams are one of the best defenses in the NFL, not because of their outside pass rush (Leonard Flloyd?!?!) not because of their secondary (even though ramsey, Hill and Johnson were very good) but because of Donald.  A player like that transforms the defense because the QB can no longer step up safely in the pocket.

Again not saying he will be that, but the flashes he showed in the pre-season are blinding.  If he can do half as well as that against the starters, I will be THRILLED with what we have.

Add that to outside pass rush of Garrett, Clowney, and Jackson, and I think we have something to be very excited about on the D-line....

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Yeah, I mean, Berry has actually tried.  He drafted Phillips in R3, JOK in R2, maintained some continuity with coaching for the young guys, upgraded Goodson with Walker.

It’s not super flashy, but there are multiple upgrades.

I also think it’s possible that all of the linebackers look much better with an improved DL in front of them and a hugely improved secondary behind them.  They’re going to be asked to do less.

I am slightly worried about how improved the Dline is in front of them.  Not that Sheldon Richardson and Larry Ogunjobi are world beaters, but Malik Jackson is good and Billings looked pedestrian in the pre-season.  I hope he fits the role on running downs that they need.

See my previous post about McDowell though, if he ends up starting and being what I think he can be then I may completely agree with you.