Browns General Discussion

candyman93

4 hours ago, bruceb said:

The series of moves that led to our acquiring OBJ was a cluster that set the team back.

Lost Zeitler, a R-1 pick and Peppers.

"Gained" Vernon and OBJ.

Lose, lose.

If we see 90% of obj circa 2014-2015 we will at least have an excellent wr. 

Vernon however, I'm not optimistic about his ability to play 12 good games. 

If we drafted Lawrence, kept Peppers, and had Zeitler we would be a much stronger team now than we currently are.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

Really wish the NFL didn’t do a scumbag move and cancel the supplemental draft.

There’s a lot of kids we could have taken.

I think they were worried about having a total of 29 players taken in the regular draft next year.  Gotta have that TV spectacle (which I do enjoy).

18 minutes ago, Bucketheadsdad said:

I think they were worried about having a total of 29 players taken in the regular draft next year.  Gotta have that TV spectacle (which I do enjoy).

It wouldn’t be that be bad. Think about how many UDFAs are signed after the draft.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, candyman93 said:

I made this comparison before, but Chubb and Hunt could be our DeAngelo Williams and Jonathan Stewart, but better.

I recently learned that Jonathan Stewart is the 10th highest paid running back of all time by career earnings and it blew my mind, always felt he had all the talent in the word but never quite lived up to expectations.

Also not sure what you guys are all worried about, Hunt and Chubb are going to resign long term slightly under market deals so the Browns can secure their 2nd and 3rd consecutive super bowls in 2021 & 2022.

• Like 3

Also can't believe y'all are sleeping on OBJ like this.  We'd be better off with Kevin Zietler, an ok safety and dice roll of a 1st round pick?? GTFO with that trash, RG is the least impactful position on the field and Peppers was a great leader but didn't live up to potential.  There's gonna be a lot of crow to be eaten in this thread when OBJ is taking the top off of defenses on play action in a real offense next season and scoring touchdowns for fun.  Don't let Freddie Kitchens being a terrible coach make you forget how a superstar WR changes the game week in week out.

Edited by clevenowin
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, clevenowin said:

Also can't believe y'all are sleeping on OBJ like this.  We'd be better off with Kevin Zietler, an ok safety and dice roll of a 1st round pick?? GTFO with that trash, RG is the least impactful position on the field and Peppers was a great leader but didn't live up to potential.  There's gonna be a lot of crow to be eaten in this thread when OBJ is taking the top off of defenses on play action in a real offense next season and scoring touchdowns for fun.  Don't let Freddie Kitchens being a terrible coach make you forget how a superstar WR changes the game week in week out.

LG is the least impactful, RG is the 2nd least impactful 

also OBJ was still voted a top5 WR in the league by executives and etc. let’s see what OBJ does in a real offense and is healthy 

1 hour ago, clevenowin said:

I recently learned that Jonathan Stewart is the 10th highest paid running back of all time by career earnings and it blew my mind, always felt he had all the talent in the word but never quite lived up to expectations.

Also not sure what you guys are all worried about, Hunt and Chubb are going to resign long term slightly under market deals so the Browns can secure their 2nd and 3rd consecutive super bowls in 2021 & 2022.

I loved watching Stewart at Oregon.

I’m kinda surprised by that 10th highest paid. However, I looked at the Panthers rosters and it makes sense. When they had Stewart during his peak, they weren’t paying Cam, Luke, Norman, or Short yet.

• Like 1

I’m hearing and reading some crazy battles between the NFL and NFLPA over the pandemic.

I’ve heard that the cap won’t increase over the next several years to keep 2021 cap the same as 2020 and not decrease it.

There’s a rumor that players want fully guaranteed pay even if the season is cancelled. I see no way in hell that happens.

If any of this stuff is true, there’s no way Jimmy signs off on any more player acquisition moves. The only move we will make is trading Njoku.

On 7/11/2020 at 4:52 AM, Kiwibrown said:

If we see 90% of obj circa 2014-2015 we will at least have an excellent wr. 

Vernon however, I'm not optimistic about his ability to play 12 good games. 

If we drafted Lawrence, kept Peppers, and had Zeitler we would be a much stronger team now than we currently are.

Hindsight is always 20/20.  Most loved the trade at the time.  At least we were trying to improve the team.  The lynchpin was Zeitler. We had a guard drafted highly that we were banking on to be able to step in and fill that role.  He busted.  That is what really hurt.  I can’t fault the team for trying.

its easy to look back and say I would rather have Peppers, a round 1 pass rusher, zeitler, and Perriman than Obj and vernon.  But it is what it is.  We were not counting on an injured obj.  We were banking on vernon staying healthy.  We expected our young guard to replace zeitler.  None of that happened.  Combine that with the overmatched coaching and regression of Hubbard and Robinson and we fell on our face.

Lets see what OBJ can do now that he is healthy and Baker with good coaching and protection.  Also I am not ready to write off Vernon as a lost cause.  If he stays healthy and opposite Garrett for the entire year I think he will be pretty effective.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, DizzyDean said:

Hindsight is always 20/20.  Most loved the trade at the time.  At least we were trying to improve the team.  The lynchpin was Zeitler. We had a guard drafted highly that we were banking on to be able to step in and fill that role.  He busted.  That is what really hurt.  I can’t fault the team for trying.

its easy to look back and say I would rather have Peppers, a round 1 pass rusher, zeitler, and Perriman than Obj and vernon.  But it is what it is.  We were not counting on an injured obj.  We were banking on vernon staying healthy.  We expected our young guard to replace zeitler.  None of that happened.  Combine that with the overmatched coaching and regression of Hubbard and Robinson and we fell on our face.

Lets see what OBJ can do now that he is healthy and Baker with good coaching and protection.  Also I am not ready to write off Vernon as a lost cause.  If he stays healthy and opposite Garrett for the entire year I think he will be pretty effective.

Great post.

3 hours ago, DizzyDean said:

I never liked the trade and I was on record for saying it. I would have preferred to keep our assets.

It was also easy at the time to say I prefer 3 players, peppers, zeitler and a 1 over two players, both of which had significantl injury history.

I agree 100%, vernon and injury are a big if. 

I'm very optimistic about obj, nor so much Vernon staying healthy.