Browns General Discussion

candyman93

40 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

Personally I'd put a tender on Johnson and then trade him before next year for another asset. I like D'Ernest and his story, but he's clearly behind the other 2 guys and plays a position lacking overall value in a loaded depth chart.

I guess it depends on what kind of asset we could get in return.

Right now he’s averaging more ypc and ypr than Kareem.  I’m not saying he’s as good of a player, but he has been productive as hell.

Of our options are:

1. Let him walk and maybe he figures into a day 3 comp pick in 2023

2. Tender and trade him for a day 3 pick in 2022

3. Tender he gets signed netting us a 2nd rounder

4. Tender him and trade him for a day 2 pick in 2022

5. Tender him and keep him next year at a cost of about 3 million or so.

I think the only scenarios I like are 3-5, all of which involve tendering him at the second round level.

I’m not all that interested in a day 3 pick in the future for a guy who’s productive on offense and plays special teams.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, MWil23 said:

I'd just rather get any type of return than none at all, while paying him $3 million, which is a decent chunk of change for a 3rd string RB and insurance policy. That's just me.

And yet, fwiw, here we are with him playing significant time in multiple games. COVID-19 stuff has changed depth needs a bit, as these test-positives can pop up at just about any time. I'd gladly give him that deal, try to get value trading him and if not, it's just a one-year deal. If he walks the next year, maybe we get a comp pick then for an RB who is now one year older.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, NudeTayne said:

And yet, fwiw, here we are with him playing significant time in multiple games. COVID-19 stuff has changed depth needs a bit, as these test-positives can pop up at just about any time. I'd gladly give him that deal, try to get value trading him and if not, it's just a one-year deal. If he walks the next year, maybe we get a comp pick then for an RB who is now one year older.

And this isn’t the first time he’s had to shoulder the full load, he did last year as well.

I just don’t think we get better as a team losing him.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, NudeTayne said:

I'd rather roll with a rookie RB or another guy and take my chances, because if we really need a 3rd string RB that much, then Baker has still sucked/regressed/plateaued and not taken that next step.

5 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

I'd rather roll with a rookie RB or another guy and take my chances, because if we really need a 3rd string RB that much, then Baker has still sucked/regressed/plateaued and not taken that next step.

Or the guys in front of him got hurt. Baker can’t play through injuries for other guys too.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I was talking about the backs, not Baker.  They were both hurt last year and this year.

I was just saying not everyone is as tough as he is ;) 

I definitely won’t ever question Bakers heart or toughness. I just think he’s pretty mediocre.

3 hours ago, MWil23 said:

I'd rather roll with a rookie RB or another guy and take my chances

This draft appears to be pretty deep at RB, so if a guy we like a lot makes it to the fourth round onward, I could understand it being an analytics move; however, Johnson is no scrub and I don't want to put a scrub back there. But yeah, this is all a small potato conversation tbh.

Edited by NudeTayne
  • Like 1