Browns General Discussion

candyman93

2 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

Defense is not the problem.

13 hours ago, candyman93 said:

We need to just become a defensive team if we’re going to keep Baker.

Aren’t we already that based on your first post?  They need to be a good team, and the best way to do that is to improve your weaknesses.  

Humor me if you will.  Name 5 teams in the league that have a worse group of WR.  If not 5, 3?

2 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Humor me if you will.  Name 5 teams in the league that have a worse group of WR.  If not 5, 3?

Are we factoring in “if healthy?”

Atlanta

Detroit

Tennessee (right now)

Carolina (Moore keeps getting banged up and Mccaffery is done for the year)

New York Jets (Corey Davis has been banged up)

27 minutes ago, candyman93 said:
34 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Atlanta

Detroit

Tennessee (right now)

I'd use the preface of "if healthy" personally.

If healthy, Atlanta, Carolina, and Tennessee are all better, with Carolina as maybe a question mark.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

No, I’m saying if all are healthy.  No team can be expected to deal with a slew of injuries and be good.  I mean simply talent on the roster at that position.

Atlanta

Maybe, but despite being labeled a TE Pitts splits out a lot.  He’s head and shoulders better than anything we have and he’s just a rookie.  Moving forward he’s gonna be a stud.

Detroit

This is probably the best argument, but even they have a guy who’s made a recent pro bowl in Hockenson.  And honestly, Hodge is probably our 2-3 WR right now.  How we cut him is beyond me after seeing Schwartz play this season.

Tennessee (right now)

Yes, if we factor in the injuries or two players who are head and shoulders better than anything we have.  Of course those injuries are part of why they’ve lost their last 2 games and have only scored 13 in each of them I’m guessing.

Same as above, but I’d take Anderson over most of our dudes.  Marshall is also more talented than anyone on our roster.

Sure, but both he and Moore are better than anything we have.

I guess the takeaway from all of that, even assuming we agree on all of those teams, is what do they all have in common?  They’re all anemic, shtty passing offenses.

I’m not even a guy who thinks you need a gaggle of studs at WR, but you do need at least one guy who can draw double coverage and consistently beat 1:1 paired with other guys who can win 1:1 with some regularity.

1 minute ago, DawgX said:

So, who do we look for to replace Conklin? Cause if his career isn't over, I imagine he still won't be ready by next season.

We don’t need outstanding we just need competent imo.

It’s not unreasonable to think a mid round pick could suffice.

Maybe you bring back Hubbard for another season.

Outside the box maybe bump Jed over to RT, bump Bitonio to LT if they think he has the feet to do so and try to find a competent G (Hudson?).  

I don’t love the idea of a FA.  Every team needs linemen, especially tackles, and anyone competent gets wildly overpaid.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Outside the box maybe bump Jed over to RT, bump Bitonio to LT if they think he has the feet to do so and try to find a competent G (Hudson?).  

I don’t love the idea of a FA.  Every team needs linemen, especially tackles, and anyone competent gets wildly overpaid.

I think expecting a mid-round pick to come and start right away would be asking too much. Maybe we could do that and develop him for a year while we bring back Hubbard for another season.

The RTs that should be available in free agency aren't exactly an inspiring group, so bringing back Hubbard and drafting a mid-round guy may be the best course of action.

11 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Spotrac tells me these tackles will be available:

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/all/tackle//

Cam Robinson intrigues me with his age and athleticism for our scheme fit, as does Trent Brown.

I'd even consider kicking the tires on Eric Fischer.

Zeus Jr. is going to break the bank IMO.

3 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

Spotrac tells me these tackles will be available:

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/all/tackle//

Cam Robinson intrigues me with his age and athleticism for our scheme fit, as does Trent Brown.

Both of those guys are gonna be expensive. We’re still on the hook for a decent bit of Conklin’s deal too.

3 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

I'd even consider kicking the tires on Eric Fischer.

Zeus Jr. is going to break the bank IMO.

Yeah, anyone with a pulse gets paid and anyone who can actually play gets a huge bag of cash.

Just now, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Both of those guys are gonna be expensive. We’re still on the hook for a decent bit of Conklin’s deal too.

It had Cam's market value in the 4 year $40 million range, which I think is reasonable (unless I'm not reading that right).

Just now, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Yeah, anyone with a pulse gets paid and anyone who can actually play gets a huge bag of cash.

It's an elite position (OT) and good guys get paid VERY WELL and elite guys get dump trucks with cash backed in front of their house...which is why we should just pay Ward NOW.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

It had Cam's market value in the 4 year $40 million range, which I think is reasonable (unless I'm not reading that right).

The only way we sign a dude at a price like that is to move on from Tretter imo.

Like, at some point we need to figure out how to field an OL or two who can play well and won’t cost a top 10 pick or 8 figures a season.

• Like 2