Browns General Discussion

candyman93

“The former second-round pick has battled injuries, including an Achilles tear his rookie season in 2020. But now a projected starter, Delpit has really surged this offseason, intercepting Deshaun Watson on more than one occasion in drills. In Delpit and John Johnson III, safety could prove to be a major strength for Cleveland this season.” -- Jake Trotter

Delpit and JJIII have both looked great in camp. Our secondary is going to be nasty.

Edited by candyman93
  • Like 2

20 hours ago, candyman93 said:

“The former second-round pick has battled injuries, including an Achilles tear his rookie season in 2020. But now a projected starter, Delpit has really surged this offseason, intercepting Deshaun Watson on more than one occasion in drills. In Delpit and John Johnson III, safety could prove to be a major strength for Cleveland this season.” -- Jake Trotter

Delpit and JJIII have both looked great in camp. Our secondary is going to be nasty.

I think we have the #1 Young secondary in football IMO. At CB we have a top 5 CB in Ward, a rookie that is capable of being a #1 for more than half the teams in the NFL (Newsome III), I think Greedy Williams is finally healthy and physically maturing (remember he turned Pro as a Redshirt Soph (and led the SEC in ints as a Freshman, and it shows him covering the likes of DK Metcalf, Debo Samuales, Christian Kirk and Calvin Ridley....he wasnt in some NAIA school). I am also a huge fan of AJ Green who has worked his way up from Should have been drafted/UDFA to I feel is a kid I would feel comfortable starting if injuries hit. We just spent our top draft pick on another of the top SEC CB's with Martin Emmerson (I didnt know much about the kid...so the Jury is still out), but anytime your taking a solid SEC CB on day 2 of the draft to be your #5/#6CB.....you got talent.....

I have been saying Deplit was going to be a star since we drafted him....and he is now turning into that. Johnson III is the old man back there who holds it all together....pro bowl potential....Harrison has some use....but a kid who I think  is going to take over at FS and let delpit play that Slot Safety role is Richard Lecount.....rememeber UGA had a safety drafted in round 1 this year..Lecount had him on the bench for 2 years (until he got hurt that last year driving a damn dirtbike to the store in the middle of the night, wearing black cloths)

I make the statement that we have multi CB's who would start for a LOT of teams out there.

My ONLY concern is that I think that Johnson III is best used as a SS, Harrison is a SS only and Delpit can play all 3 IMO, I would rather him be playmaking like a Honeybadger like chess piece...I think he'd be a Centerfielder who gets 4-5 ints at FS.....but if LeCount can step up this year...I would love to see a 3 safety set of FS: Lecount, SS: Johnson III and $0.05-Safety: Delpit.....with worst case scenario of FS: Delpit, SS: Harrison, $0.05-Safety: Johnson III

Edited by DaWg_LB.
  • Like 1

I guess the question for this season is if the Defense and running game live up to their potential, is it still feasible in today's game to have a SB team with a Trent Dilfer/Brad Johnson type QB managing the game around those dominant pieces, and if so can Brissett be that guy?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, candyman93 said:

I feel like PFF ranked our units pretty accurately.

We need another LB next to JOK and we need DTs. Our receiving weapons are weak too.

RB, o-line, and secondary are either #1 or #2.

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-2022-position-unit-rankings-offensive-line-rankings-receiver-corps-rankings

It's hard to rank most units because I don't know enough about every unit in the NFL to compare.

However, we certainly seem like we deserve that #1 spot at RB.

Offensive line seems really high. Wills hasn't reached average status for me yet. Conklin is good when healthy but that is rare. Harris is still a question mark. So I'm not pumped about 60% of our starters and they are the most important starters for the passing game. Bitonio is good all around. Teller a beast in the run game and average against the pass. I'd put the unit at above average but nothing more at this point overall. Very good run blocking though.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, candyman93 said:

I feel like PFF ranked our units pretty accurately.

We need another LB next to JOK and we need DTs. Our receiving weapons are weak too.

RB, o-line, and secondary are either #1 or #2.

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-2022-position-unit-rankings-offensive-line-rankings-receiver-corps-rankings

Our LBs and DTs will be a huge issue. Teams can run right up the middle on us. We might be able to survive if we had good DTs or good LBs but not below average at both. 

48 minutes ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

Our LBs and DTs will be a huge issue. Teams can run right up the middle on us. We might be able to survive if we had good DTs or good LBs but not below average at both. 

We'll see who will stay committed to running though. Obviously the Ravens will, the Steelers may but I don't think the Bengals can help themselves along with most of the league.

We led the league in yards per carry, had 2 bad (or injured) tackles and an injured QB and still were just 9th in rushing attempts. Coaches are dumb.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Thomas5737 said:

but I don't think the Bengals can help themselves along with most of the league.

I hate using buzz phrases and words, but every advanced stat I’ve read says teams are just simply better off being pass heavy.

We supposedly wanted to draft John Metchie with our 2nd round pick. I bet we draft a WR with our first draft pick next year. We’re going to transition to being pass heavy. We just don’t have the WRs to really do it this year.

Defensively we’re built to defend the pass. It’s why we will do better against Cincinnati than say Baltimore + Pittsburgh.

5 hours ago, Thomas5737 said:

It's hard to rank most units because I don't know enough about every unit in the NFL to compare.

However, we certainly seem like we deserve that #1 spot at RB.

Offensive line seems really high. Wills hasn't reached average status for me yet. Conklin is good when healthy but that is rare. Harris is still a question mark. So I'm not pumped about 60% of our starters and they are the most important starters for the passing game. Bitonio is good all around. Teller a beast in the run game and average against the pass. I'd put the unit at above average but nothing more at this point overall. Very good run blocking though.

I think Nick Harris is in the verge of becoming a perennial Pro Bowler

1 minute ago, candyman93 said:

I hate using buzz phrases and words, but every advanced stat I’ve read says teams are just simply better off being pass heavy.

We supposedly wanted to draft John Metchie with our 2nd round pick. I bet we draft a WR with our first draft pick next year. We’re going to transition to being pass heavy. We just don’t have the WRs to really do it this year.

Defensively we’re built to defend the pass. It’s why we will do better against Cincinnati than say Baltimore + Pittsburgh.

We are a dominant DT away from being able to defend any offense 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Thomas5737 said:

Wills hasn't reached average status for me yet. Conklin is good when healthy but that is rare. Harris is still a question mark.

Agree on Wills. Conklin is an all pro when healthy. I’ve been more positive on Harris than most. He really impressed me after the Green Bay game.

1 hour ago, candyman93 said:

Agree on Wills. Conklin is an all pro when healthy. I’ve been more positive on Harris than most. He really impressed me after the Green Bay game.

It would be great if Harris was good but there simply isn't enough data to be excited about let alone rank him as anything that improves our offensive line ranking.

2 years ago he played 140 snaps and graded poorly. Last year he played 60 and graded average. There is certainly hope but he doesn't elevate our ranking because he doesn't have a body of work that shows he's going to be anything yet.

It's wishful thinking at this point which is fine as a fan but it shouldn't mean that we rate him as a perennial Pro Bowler like some expect. He's a 5th round player getting his first chance to start, right now that is what he is. Next year at this time maybe we can use him as a reason our line is great.

• Like 1