Browns General Discussion

candyman93

2 hours ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

Im sure our scrub receivers dropping several possible catches including a TD makes those numbers look worse than they should be. Watson has an entire career proving he’s an elite qb. He didn’t just forget how to play. Everyone is just up on their feelings about him personally and want to find any excuse to label him a scrub. 

Yeah, like, he’s a POS human, but he’s not some questionable player.  He’s proven to be somewhere between very good to elite.  It may not show up immediately, but like you said, he didn’t forget how to play.

There we’re 3 touchdowns dropped on Sunday. He actually played a pretty solid game all things considered.

15 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Yeah, like, he’s a POS human, but he’s not some questionable player.  He’s proven to be somewhere between very good to elite.  It may not show up immediately, but like you said, he didn’t forget how to play.

There we’re 3 touchdowns dropped on Sunday. He actually played a pretty solid game all things considered.

Statistically the offensive line has really stepped up. He is holding the ball .3 seconds longer than Brissett and has a 15% pressure percentage compared to 25% for Brissett so the pass blocking has been better with him in there.

Even if we gave him 2 TDs last game (can't give him 3 because two drops were on the same drive) he would still have a lower TD% than Brissett but it would be close. His interception percentage is quite a bit higher but the biggest issue seems to be our ability to run. Can't really blame him for that though it may be a byproduct. You should adjust your scheme to the players but this may be an instance that the player needs to adjust to a scheme.

37 minutes ago, Thomas5737 said:

Statistically the offensive line has really stepped up. He is holding the ball .3 seconds longer than Brissett and has a 15% pressure percentage compared to 25% for Brissett so the pass blocking has been better with him in there.

Even if we gave him 2 TDs last game (can't give him 3 because two drops were on the same drive) he would still have a lower TD% than Brissett but it would be close.

Sure, but there are other variables.  Opponents, weather conditions, etc.  Houston east whatever, but Cincy was cold and windy and Sunday was a **** show.  Watson doesn’t have calm, 70 degree September days to help his stats.

2 touchdowns (plus one on the ground) and we win that game. 

His interception percentage is quite a bit higher

Small sample size and some rust for sure.

He’s improving each week just based on the eye test.

but the biggest issue seems to be our ability to run. Can't really blame him for that though it may be a byproduct.

I think the OL and switch to a ton of pistol/gun is a huge part of it.  Sunday it was the weather imo.  They dared us to throw and the weather made it difficult.

You should adjust your scheme to the players but this may be an instance that the player needs to adjust to a scheme.

Agreed.  We should be running the same offense imo, expect perhaps on 3rd down and passing distance.

3 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

For sure, and I think he'll definitely get better. But a concern of mine when we traded him is that he was going from playing in a dome and a crappy division in the AFC South to playing in harsh conditions and a tough division in the North.

He has gotten better. In the second half his accuracy was off at times, but multiple dropped TD passes were the difference in the game. If Cooper doesn't slip and Njoku makes what should have been a fairly easy grab, then less people are complaining. But again, some are going to be overly critical of Watson due to them not liking him (understandably so).

Just need to finish the year off strong (except not Joe Woods so we fire him 🙏). If we do I think that'll be huge for our team's confidence going into next season.

2 hours ago, DawgX said:

For sure, and I think he'll definitely get better. But a concern of mine when we traded him is that he was going from playing in a dome and a crappy division in the AFC South to playing in harsh conditions and a tough division in the North.

He has gotten better. In the second half his accuracy was off at times, but multiple dropped TD passes were the difference in the game. If Cooper doesn't slip and Njoku makes what should have been a fairly easy grab, then less people are complaining. But again, some are going to be overly critical of Watson due to them not liking him (understandably so).

Just need to finish the year off strong (except not Joe Woods so we fire him 🙏). If we do I think that'll be huge for our team's confidence going into next season.

I watched Quincey Carter’s review of his game and he seemed rather impressed.  People can care or not care about it, but it’s definitely interesting to get the perspective of a dude who played in the league.

He seemed to feel like the progressions have gotten faster/reads quicker and the throws more on time than the first week or two. I know some people like @Thomas5737 put a premium on time to throw, but I’m not as concerned about it when the QB has the ability to be elusive and make plays with his legs.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I watched Quincey Carter’s review of his game and he seemed rather impressed.  People can care or not care about it, but it’s definitely interesting to get the perspective of a dude who played in the league.

He seemed to feel like the progressions have gotten faster/reads quicker and the throws more on time than the first week or two. I know some people like @Thomas5737 put a premium on time to throw, but I’m not as concerned about it when the QB has the ability to be elusive and make plays with his legs.  

I'll have to check that out.

But yeah, that's arguably Watson's biggest fault. He can make magic happen when he extends plays, but he'll also cause sacks that aren't necessarily the OL's fault.

19 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

26th ranked offense elite none performance Happy New Years GIF by Luke Guy

I expect playoffs next year. Need to see what we do in the offseason to make me more optimistic.

Also, Clowney really surprised me with his effort today. He’s probably realizing he won’t ever get that fat contract and needs to just stay in Cleveland.

2 hours ago, candyman93 said:

I expect playoffs next year. Need to see what we do in the offseason to make me more optimistic.

Also, Clowney really surprised me with his effort today. He’s probably realizing he won’t ever get that fat contract and needs to just stay in Cleveland.

Yeah I went from thinking there was zero chance we keep Clowney to maybe it being 50/50. He would have to come cheaper than this year though 

One thing about Watson. We need WR’s who do well in the scramble drill. 

He has elite escapability, so I’m not sure I have ever seen a stat that measures it but we need WR’s who don’t give up on plays and understand how to find a open space in the scramble situation 

Just now, hornbybrown said:

One thing about Watson. We need WR’s who do well in the scramble drill. 

He has elite escapability, so I’m not sure I have ever seen a stat that measures it but we need WR’s who don’t give up on plays and understand how to find a open space in the scramble situation 

It also should be an emphasis of the WR coaches next training camp. There are times where he keeps the play alive for a very long time and he is searching for someone. It’s definitely something our WR’s need to do better 

1 minute ago, hornbybrown said:

It also should be an emphasis of the WR coaches next training camp. There are times where he keeps the play alive for a very long time and he is searching for someone. It’s definitely something our WR’s need to do better 

An outside wr with speed would really help. Push DPJ into the slot, he has had excellent hand and decent chemistry with Watson.

So I’m wondering what the offense is really trying to accomplish.  I’m on 2 hours of sleep and 12+ hours at work and I had this occur to me. 

After watching the 1st half I remember hearing that Watson really enjoyed talking to Stefanski about the offense and that was a big draw for him coming here. So what are we missing? Are they seeing what works and doesn’t for a game plan for the offense for next year? Are they discussing different looks and just not on the same page yet? I just want this to work and I think KS is a good coach, so hopefully he turns this team around. 

Does anyone else think they are tinkering with the offense with Watson as a way to build footage for what does and doesn’t work? Or is this coaching staff just bad and will be gone?

54 minutes ago, JDD said:

So I’m wondering what the offense is really trying to accomplish.  I’m on 2 hours of sleep and 12+ hours at work and I had this occur to me. 

After watching the 1st half I remember hearing that Watson really enjoyed talking to Stefanski about the offense and that was a big draw for him coming here. So what are we missing? Are they seeing what works and doesn’t for a game plan for the offense for next year? Are they discussing different looks and just not on the same page yet? I just want this to work and I think KS is a good coach, so hopefully he turns this team around. 

Does anyone else think they are tinkering with the offense with Watson as a way to build footage for what does and doesn’t work? Or is this coaching staff just bad and will be gone?

I think Schlereth gave a great comparison on the broadcast that explains the issue a bit.

He said learning a new system is like driving in another country.  You know how to drive, but everything is different so you’re having to think through things, it’s not just second nature.  

I don’t know if you ever watched the second half yet, but you should.  Sure looks like things started to click a bit.

• Like 2