Browns General Discussion

candyman93

14 hours ago, buno67 said:

I wouldnt mind bring in Ezekiel Ansah for a bench pass rusher. 

I'm all for this and at this point in his career, he needs us more than we would necessarily need him. This would be a nice low risk, high reward signing sort of like how Dallas took a shot on Aldon Smith (which im still mad at)

20 hours ago, FGK said:

But DB's are more matchup based (you need more to pair against different kinds of relievers and offenses) and also play on other places (DBs tend to be your core kickoff/punt cover type guys). DL only has so many roster spots, so the depth there (while NOT less important) doesn't have to be as numerous. I'm not arguing DE/DT depth isn't important, just that it doesn't need to sheer #s.

I mean, Our base defense this year is going to be nickel (5 DBs, 2 LB, 4 DL) and my strong suspicion is that we will play more dime (6 DBs, 1/2 LB, 4/3 DL) than tradition 4-3. That means, even just assuming nickel, our #6 CB is as important as our #4 DE. So at DE, we've got Garrett, Vernon, Clayborn, and then bleh. I would've preferred a better #4 but you can't be perfect. At DT we've got Ogunjobi, Richardson, Elliot, and we were SUPPOSED to have Billings. If Billings hadn't opted out, that's a solid 4 deep at DT. 

I was largely disappointment when Billings opted out....that would have been a great 4 man rotation....we still got a good one, I think the rookie is going to show something, Bucky Brooks (Who I respect as a scout) had Elliot rated as his #3 DT behind Brown and Kinlaw....I also think this year, with the larger size DE's (Clayborne 6-3 280 and Thomas 6-51/2 278lbs) will get a LOT more snaps kicking inside to DT, those are small DT's, but in rotation I think they could help out a lot...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DaWg_LB. said:

I was largely disappointment when Billings opted out....that would have been a great 4 man rotation....we still got a good one, I think the rookie is going to show something, Bucky Brooks (Who I respect as a scout) had Elliot rated as his #3 DT behind Brown and Kinlaw....I also think this year, with the larger size DE's (Clayborne 6-3 280 and Thomas 6-51/2 278lbs) will get a LOT more snaps kicking inside to DT, those are small DT's, but in rotation I think they could help out a lot...

I'm really excited for Clayborne, remember him way back being a good prospect and was always surprised he didn't produce more.  Seemed to have a great mix of size, strength and speed for a 43 DE

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, buno67 said:

I’ve always disliked short routes unless they’re the only option or wide open. Go for the sticks. 

16 minutes ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

I’ve always disliked short routes unless they’re the only option or wide open. Go for the sticks. 

Eh it depends.

If you use them to help set up double moves later in the game and pick up a few yards, sure, but an “east/west” offense isn’t my cup of tea.

12 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Eh it depends.

If you use them to help set up double moves later in the game and pick up a few yards, sure, but an “east/west” offense isn’t my cup of tea.

Plus, if you’re facing man or Cover 3, it’s essentially a “beater” and potential RAC opportunities. High efficiency, low risk, forces the safeties to drive on in breaking routes, and then sets up deeper routes.

It worked in SF/NE for double digit Super Bowls.

With our running game, you force them to bring an extra LB on the field and have a major mismatch in the slot/seam, or you get a steady diet of Chubb vs a 7 man front.

• Like 1