Browns General Discussion

candyman93

On 2/2/2023 at 4:21 AM, Kiwibrown said:

Jessie Bates and Payne are out of our price range, bates probably gets 16 million per year and Payne 20 million per year.

Maybe on paper but with all the contract manipulation you can do I think they can get that actual cap number down to a very manageable number. 

46 minutes ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

Maybe on paper but with all the contract manipulation you can do I think they can get that actual cap number down to a very manageable number. 

It is going to be interesting but some teams will have cap space north of 70 million with so few safeties available they will go considerably north of jjs contract.

Plus to really get some space the dead cap hit will reasable the National deficit remembered we are also paying the clown.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

We could definitely sign someone this year the issue is next year. We need carry over for next year and if we spend it I don't know what the plan will be. It will be interesting to see what the Saints do this year to get under the cap.

21 minutes ago, Thomas5737 said:

We could definitely sign someone this year the issue is next year. We need carry over for next year and if we spend it I don't know what the plan will be. It will be interesting to see what the Saints do this year to get under the cap.

We say this every year. But then we restructure a bunch of contracts and are fine. 

1 hour ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

We say this every year. But then we restructure a bunch of contracts and are fine. 

Huh? We haven't been up against the cap in decades. We've had more issues with reaching the cap floor in the past ten years than reaching the ceiling.

This is going to be new for us. I'm sure there is a plan but odds are the plan isn't going to include any big signings.

We've got a guy making 55 million, a guy making 30 million, a guy near 25 million and a handful of guys between 12 and 16 million. We have our impact players. Next season Ward and Njoku's cap numbers double and we're already over the cap with 35 players signed (our rookies and urfas will add to both of those numbers).

We aren't signing anyone making 12 million per year or more. I don't care how many restructures we make while mortgaging the future.

• Like 2

Best case scenario we end up having success similar to the Rams.

Worst case scenario we’re in hell like the Saints are. Even then, they won a crap ton of games.

Then again, we’re not in a nightmare scenario in 2025. This doesn’t even factor in cap increasing.

https://overthecap.com/salary-cap/cleveland-browns

Edited by candyman93

14 hours ago, Thomas5737 said:

Huh? We haven't been up against the cap in decades. We've had more issues with reaching the cap floor in the past ten years than reaching the ceiling.

This is going to be new for us. I'm sure there is a plan but odds are the plan isn't going to include any big signings.

We've got a guy making 55 million, a guy making 30 million, a guy near 25 million and a handful of guys between 12 and 16 million. We have our impact players. Next season Ward and Njoku's cap numbers double and we're already over the cap with 35 players signed (our rookies and urfas will add to both of those numbers).

We aren't signing anyone making 12 million per year or more. I don't care how many restructures we make while mortgaging the future.

If we choose to do nothing but draft guys, we’re only in a “bad spot” in 2024. Unless you consider 2023 a bad spot already.

In 2025 a ton of contracts come off the books and we have 89 million in cap space (this isn’t including rookie hits, but they’re dirt cheap).

15 hours ago, Thomas5737 said:

Nice how are you doing?

4 hours ago, candyman93 said:

Best case scenario we end up having success similar to the Rams.

Worst case scenario we’re in hell like the Saints are. Even then, they won a crap ton of games.

Then again, we’re not in a nightmare scenario in 2025. This doesn’t even factor in cap increasing.

https://overthecap.com/salary-cap/cleveland-browns

They do factor in increases in cap. They are usually pretty accurate. What they show for 2025 is their projected cap number. It should be pretty close.

4 hours ago, candyman93 said:

If we choose to do nothing but draft guys, we’re only in a “bad spot” in 2024. Unless you consider 2023 a bad spot already.

In 2025 a ton of contracts come off the books and we have 89 million in cap space (this isn’t including rookie hits, but they’re dirt cheap).

Yeah, 2025 isn't currently an issue. We only have 17 players signed to play which is probably 5 or 6 starters on offense and likely 3 starters on defense. Those 8 or 9 starters currently count for about 180 million against the cap and voided years from players no longer on the team count for another 10-12 depending on if we cut their contracts before they expire.

So while there isn't a current issue we need starters at the majority of positions, and currently have about 90 million to fill those spots (3 million per position would be about 40million) and 25 other spots for depth and ST and such which gives us 1.7 to spend per position.

We need good drafts for awhile, we need a lot of starters and depth. 2025 is basically a rebuild year but we're still going to be up against the cap when all is said and done so we need the core players to carry the team. With that in mind, we really need the core players to carry the team in 2023 and maybe bring some carry over money into 2024. It won't be a fun off season besides the draft but if we signed all those big deals to players we didn't think could carry us then we already failed.

(Bracing for people worried about his age) but I think we would be a fool not to make a play for Brandon Graham. This guy is an outstanding leader and his motor never shuts off, he could produce even in a reserve role and be a teacher to the young guys and wouldn’t break the bank.Just a thought

Edited by MSURacerDT55

53 minutes ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

(Bracing for people worried about his age) but I think we would be a fool not to make a play for Brandon Graham. This guy is an outstanding leader and his motor never shuts off, he could produce even in a reserve role and be a teacher to the young guys and wouldn’t break the bank.Just a thought

Well he isn't a free agent and it would be expensive for the Eagles to cut or trade him because of the voided years (they don't have much cap room) so I don't think he could even be a factor this offseason.